Goals for 2016

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3043 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm going to work on calling the inside corner pitch a strike as often as I call the outside corner pitch a strike. 

I also want to work on being able to give a specific reference to a rule instead of just knowing the rule. 

This is unnecessary.  Know the rule.  Know how to explain your calls using rulebook terminology.  No need to reference the rule number.

• Like 1

I'm going to work on calling the inside corner pitch a strike as often as I call the outside corner pitch a strike. 

I also want to work on being able to give a specific reference to a rule instead of just knowing the rule. 

I have a quick reference guide that I made for myself on an index card, of course I made it for the 2014 book :(. I go over it real quick while I'm waiting for partners to show up. It's helped improved my quick reference ability. I need to make a new one for the new numbers now, dang it. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's more for myself - not the coaches. Or even on here when you guys are quoting the reference. There are a lot of rules that I know, but I'm just that way - I want to know where they are - mostly because I'm usually proving myself right to my husband. 

Wait... What am I talking about? I'm always right when it comes to my husband!! :D

• Like 2

1.  Focus on mechanics on plays at the plate.  I just started this past season to get to 3BLX and feel a little awkward at this point.  Old bad habits die hard.

2.  Develop consistency on uncaught 3rd strike signal.

3.  Work on tracking pitches and being more consistent on outside pitches.

4.  Upgrade my uniform items, especially ditching combo pants and going to polywool base pants.

5. Being a better listener to managers when they question a call rather than immediately getting defensive.  I'm generally a very even tempered person and haven't had much trouble at all, but there were a couple of times last season I realized I was giving a defense for something that wasn't their exact question simply because I was quick to talk and slow to listen.

I'm signed up to go to the Southern Umpires Camp in February and am excited about that.  I've just completed my second year of HS ball and think this would be a good time to attend.

Also a big thanks to everyone on this site.  Realizing I need to improve/change items 1, 2, and 4 are directly due to being a member of this site.  There are many other areas I need to improve, but these came to mind.

• Like 1

Last year I think I mentioned I need to work on pause/read/react from "A" and when to go out. I still need a LOT of work here. First problem is, out of the 120 or so games I worked this year, I'd guess 80-90 were plates. Of those 30-40 games on the bases, I didn't have nearly enough reps to get real comfortable on when to go out, so this will continue to be area I need to work on.

I feel my plate work has improved. That's always a work in process, and I don't think we should ever stop trying to improve our plate work.

Somewhat out of my hands, but I hope to get a majority of my high school assignments at the Varsity level this coming year. I did more Varsity than ever this past season, and I felt comfortable there.......Maybe a first round state tourney game???

Well that was fast! I'm happy to report assignments came out for Spring '16 high school and I've got a full slate of Varsity assignments! :yippie:

And a little more than half are bases...Lots of opportunities to improve on pause/read/react. 

• Like 4

ll that was fast! I'm happy to report assignments came out for Spring '16 high school and I've got a full slate of Varsity assignments! :yippie:

And a little more than half are bases...Lots of opportunities to improve on pause/read/react. 

Scheduled already? Decided whos got plate and bases? Are all HS assignments like this?

@James88, I went to Southern Camp this past February - it was a great camp and I learned A LOT!  Fungo drills = fun.

Awesome!!!  I'm happy to hear that.  Two of us are driving down from WV.  I'm really looking forward to it.  Just want to learn, get constructive feedback, and get better.

• Like 1

Scheduled already? Decided whos got plate and bases? Are all HS assignments like this?

We've been getting our spring games around this time for the past few years. This may be a few weeks sooner than in that past, if I remember correctly, but not too far from "normal".  Plate and base are assigned. Always been that way from our high school assigner.

We've been getting our spring games around this time for the past few years. This may be a few weeks sooner than in that past, if I remember correctly, but not too far from "normal".  Plate and base are assigned. Always been that way from our high school assigner.

gotcha. I didn't know if all high school assignments were this way or if it is just where you are at.

It's this way now. It hasn't always been this way. The games Rich & I received are in-conference games, which have been scheduled among the schools since last spring. Non-conference games are still being worked out among the 100's of schools in our area.

Before the advent of the Arbiter, games were usually assigned in January and plate/bases was determined on site since you did not usually know who you were working with. Most times partners rotated.

At one time, there were several assigners for HS ball in this area, now there is one.   

• Like 2

Need to work on catcher interference missed 2 this year college adult summer league both times catcher set up inside and pitcher threw it there. Work on pregame get lazy when you have the same partner for a lot of games bad habit. Always trying to improve knowledge and mechanics which should be every year.

Got to get in better shape. I'm still quick enough but I have to lessen the pounding I'm taking if I want to keep working the schedule I work. Got to see the ball better behind the plate. Getting comfortable with different stance I may have to use to stay in the slot and track the ball with my eyes. Maintain focus of following the ball into the mitt every pitch of every game. Got to hear the ball better. Need to be more disciplined on bangers at 1b. Don't let myself get distracted by what I see until after I'm sure what I heard. Got to be more patient with coaches that don't know what they're doing. Got to figure out a way to turn these things into quantifiable goals. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

It's this way now. It hasn't always been this way. The games Rich & I received are in-conference games, which have been scheduled among the schools since last spring. Non-conference games are still being worked out among the 100's of schools in our area.

Before the advent of the Arbiter, games were usually assigned in January and plate/bases was determined on site since you did not usually know who you were working with. Most times partners rotated.

At one time, there were several assigners for HS ball in this area, now there is one.   

@kevin_k @richvee I hope to get some games with you guys this year again.....kevin lets try not to have another "knock out" assignment together would you please lol....

Some of these others have said, but after a little thought here are some of my general goals. 

1) Improve in my understanding of the rules.

2) Improve my out and safe signals verbally and my mechanics. 

3) I would like to improve in my confidence in general but especially when interacting with coaches.

4) Taking my mask off from the front instead of the back. I was quickly told to work on this at the intro to 3 man K.C. clinic!

5) More hustle. 

6) I want to improve in my understanding of the 3 man system, but not sure what that will look like since there is not much 3 man to work at my level currently. 

• 3 weeks later...

1. Work more on my base mechanics. I'm so used to working alone, that on the rare cases I do work with a partner and do bases, I feel awkward and know sometimes my positioning is off.

2. Better my rules knowledge. I always work on this one and try to read a chapter of my Fed rules every week. That, and since I now have an authoritative position with my summer organization, I just know I'll get a ton of questions asked.

3. Drop some pounds. I'm about 250 and I'd like to see 200 by this time next year.

4. Attend some clinics. I live by the always seek improvement creed. 

5. Enjoy myself. This is one of the greatest gigs on Earth!

1. Get back to the Postseason

2. Work on taking plays at 1st ( i don't like my stance, i was told its fine, but i don't like it)

3. Become more professional and treat every game like that. ( not that i talk or do not treat a game like that, but look at it like it's a business).

4. Become a scratch golfer.

1.  Wear my cap forwards.
2.  Wear shinguards on the inside of my pants.
3.  Stop closing my eyes when the pitch nears the zone.

Stretch goal:  Less than 2 ejections per game.

Bring on 2016!

• Like 4

1.  Wear my cap forwards.
2.  Wear shinguards on the inside of my pants.
3.  Stop closing my eyes when the pitch nears the zone.

Stretch goal:  Less than 2 ejections per game.

Bring on 2016!

it's always a good idea to set attainable goals. :nod:

• Like 1