Goals for 2016

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3023 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I posted something like this last season (about the same time-frame) ......... and if I remember correctly, ...it got quite a bit of traffic, and of course since most of us are finished, including the big boys, ...I thought this may be a good conversation starter.

What are your goals for next season?  What do you plan/need to work on to improve?  Anything is game here ..........so here we go ....

What are YOU doing to be better for 2016?

Go!

I worked on seeing the back end of a double play from the inside. Specifically seeing the foot on the bag and the possible swipe tag. Takes a few extra read steps for me to see it - working on finding that sweet spot.

No problem getting to it in HS ball, but college is much faster and trying to get to it every time is more of a task.

• Like 1

I have two big goals for next season.

1) Work on timing. Slow down my calls to ensure that I have replayed it in my mind first to get all of the relevant information. I haven't had an issue with "showing" my call before the play is over, just rushing to get the call out of my mouth immediately after the play. I need to wait, process, then make the call. A big item that I picked up here that will give me lots of practice are routine plays at 1B.

2) Work on getting to 3BLX for plays at home rather than 1BLX. I started to do this late this season and found myself feeling awkward with it. I did see the better view I could get from there once. The other plays were not close and so I was in position, but the safe/out was obvious (by feet, not inches). I know the awkwardness will go away as I get used to moving to that spot and staying in position relative to the catcher and the plate. 

These are two things I learned here from this group of awesome guys and gals. So glad I found this site. I have also picked up lots of information to pass along to the new umpires that we are training for our local youth league.

• Like 1

1) I need to work on slowing down my calls, especially on close plays. I don't remember who suggested it in another thread but tapping where on the body a tag occurred has helped on those plays. That was great advise. 

2) I need to work on my slot position. I can see the whole plate but I just feel that I'm not in there like I should be. I feel it most on outside pitches. (number one reason I wish I could have made it to midamump's clinic)

3) Tracking the ball. I track it fine on lower levels, but on the higher levels I still loose it sometimes. I think I'm blinking just before the ball crosses the plate, but whatever it is, I need to figure it out and fix it. 

• Like 1

1) Continue tracking the ball from the hand to the glove before I decide if it's ball or strike.

2) Pause, Read, React. Something new I learned this offseason on and I an trying to work out of my 'player habits' watching the ball all the way. 

3) Having confidence as I begin working HS games that actually mean something (rather than fall and summer ball) 

4) Not moving so much like I use to to see plays at all bases up close. Learning the 'working area'. 

Much much more as well.

Edited by jpperez14
stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1

Last year I think I mentioned I need to work on pause/read/react from "A" and when to go out. I still need a LOT of work here. First problem is, out of the 120 or so games I worked this year, I'd guess 80-90 were plates. Of those 30-40 games on the bases, I didn't have nearly enough reps to get real comfortable on when to go out, so this will continue to be area I need to work on.

I feel my plate work has improved. That's always a work in process, and I don't think we should ever stop trying to improve our plate work.

Somewhat out of my hands, but I hope to get a majority of my high school assignments at the Varsity level this coming year. I did more Varsity than ever this past season, and I felt comfortable there.......Maybe a first round state tourney game???

• Like 1

Last year I think I mentioned I need to work on pause/read/react from "A" and when to go out. I still need a LOT of work here. First problem is, out of the 120 or so games I worked this year, I'd guess 80-90 were plates. Of those 30-40 games on the bases, I didn't have nearly enough reps to get real comfortable on when to go out, so this will continue to be area I need to work on.

I feel my plate work has improved. That's always a work in process, and I don't think we should ever stop trying to improve our plate work.

Somewhat out of my hands, but I hope to get a majority of my high school assignments at the Varsity level this coming year. I did more Varsity than ever this past season, and I felt comfortable there.......Maybe a first round state tourney game???

Always a great feeling to get a post-season nod .....I got a district play-in game, and a district tourney last Spring.  District is first round .... start there! :nod:  If you have a decent relationship with your assignor, .... ask him what your chances are?  Assignors give District assignments ....not the State (as in Regional or Finals)

• Like 1

(1) Go through an entire season without once forgetting to put the ball back in play after "time" when there are runners on base.  (This is not a joke; I'm serious)

(2) Improve my rules knowledge.  Just when I think I know it all...I find out I don't.

(3) Stay more focused on potential balks.  I do a good job when I stay focused nailing balks...but when I get "bored" (for whatever reason) I miss too many balks...which can lead to problems.

• Like 2

A) Attend a "real" clinic. We have a couple of local clinics, but their primary audience is brand-new umpires and they just cover the basics. Next year I intend to get to one of @MidAmUmp's clinics.

B) Work on getting set and forcibly exhaling when a "banger" play is imminent. Exhalation has helped my ball/strike calls immensely and I can always tell when I haven't done so on a close play because of the way I see it (and my confidence, as a corollary to that).

Edited by kylehutson
  • Like 1

2016 Goals:
- Ditch Joe West ... his multiple daily calls for advice are getting tiresome.   
- Convince the few U-E holdouts that life will be simpler and happier if they just agreed with me.
- Run off Mike Fisher so that Carrie Underwood (my soulmate) and I can be together. 

• Like 1

Always a great feeling to get a post-season nod .....I got a district play-in game, and a district tourney last Spring.  District is first round .... start there! :nod:  If you have a decent relationship with your assignor, .... ask him what your chances are?  Assignors give District assignments ....not the State (as in Regional or Finals)

As of 2015 the New Jersey HS State Tournament is assigned by a committee of five people, none of whom assign games in the regular season. Assignor input is not sought.

The only qualifications they look for are attendance at a NJSIAA run "rules interpretation" meeting, attendance at an NJSIAA approved three man clinic, and possession of an NJSIAA mandated $49.00 Cliff Keen shirt that bears the NJSIAA sublimated logo.

Pretty sure I posted on last year's version of this thread that I really needed to work on my timing, and I feel like I really did get a lot better on that front. So for this year...

• Get back into the upper echelons of Ontario baseball (for locals, PBLO and ICBL).
  • If my day job allows it, try get into some high school games.
  • Consider attending a pro school. It's pricey and I'd have to take time off work, but I think it'd be a good learning experience.

That's pretty much it. Maybe lose some more weight, as I haven't been as good about working out as I should have been. For some reason, I find it way more difficult to get to the gym in the summer than in the winter.

1) Work on seeing the pitch, all the way in, every time.   I tend to go on autopilot more than I'd like, and rush my timing.  Unsurprisingly, I find myself wondering why I just squeezed the pitcher.

2) Improve my training of our junior umpires.  I hate to say it, but I've had one year of experience as a trainer two times.   I want to step up my game next spring.

3) Call obstruction/interfence better.  I get surprised and flat footed by this one too often.