Catcher's Interference

aiber
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3102 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Runner on 3rd and playing high school rules, Batter swings and grounds out to 2B runner scored but there was catcher's interference.  I called the batter out and the runner was returned to 3B.  The offensive coach preferred and requested the result of the play.  I didn't allow it.

Was I wrong?

7 answers to this question

First, for FED it's "catcher obstruction." So, yeah, you kicked it! ;)

Next, why are you penalizing the offense for the defense's infraction? The penalty for CO is: if all runners including the BR advance one base, ignore the CO. Otherwise, award the BR 1B, award any stealing runners their advance base, and other runners return unless forced to advance. 8-1-1e

And yes, the offense may choose the play: in amateur ball, make sure to offer coach his choice (in pro ball, the manager must know he has a choice and request it).

In this case, provided there were less than 2 outs, the coach should have been allowed to take the result of the play: the BR is out, R3 scores. Had there been 2 outs, he should take the CO penalty, since that run scoring is not automatic (not an award): the result of play in that case would be simply 3 outs, no runs.

• Like 1

I apologize.  I typed it wrong.  I awarded the batter 1st base and the runner was returned to 3B.  The coach then wanted to take the out and allow the runner to score.  I thought that the ball is dead upon the interference.

Since it's FED, you should call it "obstruction" and that will help you remember that it's not (immediately) dead.

(Although this part of the rule is the same in all codes)

• Like 1

The penalty for CO is: if all runners including the BR advance one base, ignore the CO. Otherwise, award the BR 1B, award any stealing runners their advance base, and other runners return unless forced to advance. 8-1-1e

And yes, the offense may choose the play: in amateur ball, make sure to offer coach his choice (in pro ball, the manager must know he has a choice and request it).

You make an interesting distinction. In pro ball, the players get paid; in amateur ball, they do not. But what about amateur ball played under OBR? If it was an American Legion game, for example, it would be amateur ball played under OBR with Legion modification of some rules. I'd offer the option because it is an amateur game. But the pro interpretation, under which the game was played, would imply that the manager would have to know the situation and request it. I think your distinction covers it, especially if you intended it that way.

Mike

• Like 2

You make an interesting distinction. In pro ball, the players get paid; in amateur ball, they do not. But what about amateur ball played under OBR? If it was an American Legion game, for example, it would be amateur ball played under OBR with Legion modification of some rules. I'd offer the option because it is an amateur game. But the pro interpretation, under which the game was played, would imply that the manager would have to know the situation and request it. I think your distinction covers it, especially if you intended it that way.

Mike

You've captured my meaning exactly, and stated its rationale concisely.