Runner Misses Plate

LTL509
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3111 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I am in C Runner on 3rd. Fly out to center, run scores, I return to A. Pitcher takes the mound throws pitch, ball one. My partner now steps forward and announces the previous runner missed home plate but since the defense did not appeal the run now officially scores. Ok so I have seen runners miss the plate and been called out on appeal and have had no appeal and play continue; however I have never stopped play and "announced" the runner missed plate and defense did not appeal. Between innings I asked why he did that and he made reference to the official scorer should not officially score the run until the attempt at an appeal expired. thoughts on this? Do you announce anything about a missed base? I don't unless appealed or asked about it.

5 answers to this question

The only time I've announced this is, (after a pitch), the DC kept chirping after I safed an appeal of a missed third base. I announced, "Look, he tagged third, but, if you'd have been paying attention, you'd have seen that he missed the plate"....

....gotta get your whimsy whenever you can...

• Like 2

It looks like we are all on the same page. I've never done it and agree it was a bit of showboating. What I didn't bring up as it had no bearing but I thought it was funny, the Defensive head coach came out and could not wrap his mind around a run that counts but never touched the plate. Of course this was 13 year old fall ball so the coach was a novice but that is what really got me thinking why in the world would you even mention it, just starting trouble for yourself.