Honig's frame

kylejt

I picked up a Honig's frame somewhere along the line, and it's been sitting for a while. I picked it up once, and it seemed a bit hefty, and that was that.

Last week I put it side by side to a light weight Diamond, and discovered the Honig's was quite a bit larger, both longer and wider.  I dropped in some TW pads and found this thing FITS completely different than any other frame I've had. The pads mate up to my face just perfectly. I wore in a game today, trading it out with a couple of other ones in between inning, and just love the fit. It's a little bit heavier than the others, but not by much.

Has anyone else notice the difference in size and fit of other frames? Seem like all my others were pretty much the same, until this Honig's came along.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the same frame. It's one they've been selling for several years.

It's the standard frame they've been selling for years. But it's the size difference that really struck me. For me, it mask the pads just fit face so much better. We've all thought masks were one-size-fits-all, and that just ain't true.

Edited by kylejt

I picked up one of those Honigs masks back a few years ago. It was loaded up with their leather pads. The mask seemed particularly comfortable to me and became my main mask. Previous to that I was using a Wilson Dyna-Lite, so at the time the Honigs seemed like a big weight reduction to me.

I got a couple of years out of the mask before it got damaged. A girls high school softball pitch, probably about 55 m.p.h. tops, went untouched and hit me right over the mouth. No damage to me, but one of the vertical bars that run up in front of your mouth was bent inward about 1/4"! It really surprised me that such a relatively "mild" hit caused such damage to the mask.

As far as the fit, I really liked the way the Honigs fit my chin. It sat nicely on the "high point" of my chin, down away from my mouth. In contrast, the mask I bought to replace the Honigs was a Diamond lightweight with Team Wendy pads. On this mask, the pads seem to contact my chin a little bit higher, to where they're touching my face about where my lower teeth are. It's not so uncomfortable that I wouldn't wear it, but it's different enough that it got my attention. I attributed it to the way the Wendys pads just happened to fit this frame.

No, I haven't measured either of these masks for comparison, but based on how they fit me it's no surprise that the Honigs frame is a little bit bigger.

Edited by BretMan

@kylejt, if that mask frame has an extended crown guard, it's a K9. It's a really well-designed mask that tics all the boxes for a mask – single hollow tube steel, extended crown guard, good sized ear guards, encompassing field of view out of it, and a chin guard that accommodates a variety of throat guards (on this last point, it almost encourages it).

Honig's really did their research and design on this mask.

It would have been my next choice past the +POS ZRO-G as my secondary. It has a rather unique look to it, as the Diamond iX3 is used by just about every amateur-level umpire I've worked with, and the Dynalite is just that much too heavy. Seriously, Wilson, is the word "hollow" in your vocabulary??

@kylejt, if that mask frame has an extended crown guard, it's a K9. It's a really well-designed mask that tics all the boxes for a mask – single hollow tube steel, extended crown guard, good sized ear guards, encompassing field of view out of it, and a chin guard that accommodates a variety of throat guards (on this last point, it almost encourages it).

Honig's really did their research and design on this mask.

It would have been my next choice past the +POS ZRO-G as my secondary. It has a rather unique look to it, as the Diamond iX3 is used by just about every amateur-level umpire I've worked with, and the Dynalite is just that much too heavy. Seriously, Wilson, is the word "hollow" in your vocabulary??

@MadMax  I have seen you refer to the dyna lite as not being hollow.  It is hollow, its just heavier than what you prefer.  Its a tank though and I have never had one dent.  Take away the rubber dip and it is the same weight as the Honigs.