Run Score or not???

Question

Runners on first and third one out.  Runner on first stealing while at the same time batter hits a long fly ball to center.  Runner on third tags up.  Runner from first rounds second.  Ball is caught in center for the second out.  Runner from first retags second and heads back to first.  Runner on third heads home and crosses the plate before the ball reaches first base to double up that runner.  Does the run count at home or not???

12 answers to this question

Relax, Rich: this section of the site is to teach people from outside our profession. The most important requirement for a teacher is patience. Answering the same question 30 times just means we've taught 30 people. It's a good thing.

No need for me to relax. I'm not upset in the least. Just think how many more we can teach with an FAQ page for all those that visit but never post their question.

• Like 1

I get where you're coming from, Rich. I frequent several umpire discussion boards and have seen this same question at least a dozen different times this year. And it's the same every year.

Which kind of baffles me, because it seems to suggest that this is a common play that happens a lot. I'm creeping up on the twenty year mark as an umpire, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200+ games under my belt, and have NEVER seen this happen in one of my games. But it must be happening out there somewhere because this question sure gets asked a lot!

• Like 1

I get where you're coming from, Rich. I frequent several umpire discussion boards and have seen this same question at least a dozen different times this year. And it's the same every year.

Which kind of baffles me, because it seems to suggest that this is a common play that happens a lot. I'm creeping up on the twenty year mark as an umpire, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200+ games under my belt, and have NEVER seen this happen in one of my games. But it must be happening out there somewhere because this question sure gets asked a lot!

Ooops...this above post was me, but I forgot to log in first, so I'm showing up as "guest".

I made up this exact play in my head about 6 years ago, and I put it on a Power Point slide for  Rookie Umpire Training. I was trying to demonstrate the issue of Force Play vs. Non-Force Play. No lie, I think I've had three of these plays since then. I don't think I had it in the previous 26 years before I thought it up. You're welcome. 

Relax, Rich: this section of the site is to teach people from outside our profession. The most important requirement for a teacher is patience. Answering the same question 30 times just means we've taught 30 people. It's a good thing.

I might suggest that the most important requirement to be a successful teacher is knowledge, unless your objective is to spread misinformation.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.