Should ump verbalize NON INTERFERENCE?

Question

Guest Joe

Wooden bat league - U12 Pony Rules. No outs runner on first and second. The first basemen is playing in front of the runner. The batter hits a hard grounder right at the first basemen. The first basemen boots the ball and it rolls through and hits the runner. According to the rules the runner is not out, but you know how young kids can be. The runner stopped cuz he thought he was out. My question is at what point is an ump responsible for making an on-field call while the action is taking place?  In this instance would it ever be appropriate for the ump to yell out something like RUNNER IS NOT OUT? Just curious.

14 answers to this question

Wooden bat league - U12 Pony Rules. No outs runner on first and second. The first basemen is playing in front of the runner. The batter hits a hard grounder right at the first basemen. The first basemen boots the ball and it rolls through and hits the runner. According to the rules the runner is not out, but you know how young kids can be. The runner stopped cuz he thought he was out. My question is at what point is an ump responsible for making an on-field call while the action is taking place?  In this instance would it ever be appropriate for the ump to yell out something like RUNNER IS NOT OUT? Just curious

"That's nothing" with a safe signal.

• Like 4

Wooden bat league - U12 Pony Rules. No outs runner on first and second. The first basemen is playing in front of the runner. The batter hits a hard grounder right at the first basemen. The first basemen boots the ball and it rolls through and hits the runner. According to the rules the runner is not out, but you know how young kids can be. The runner stopped cuz he thought he was out. My question is at what point is an ump responsible for making an on-field call while the action is taking place?  In this instance would it ever be appropriate for the ump to yell out something like RUNNER IS NOT OUT? Just curious.

Not so sure it's required, but most umpires would give a safe signal and say that's nothing.

I wouldn't say "the play is live"

Edited by JaxRolo

I do the safe sign but with my palms closed... And if they look at me and don't understand I say  "the play is live"

Is the fist supposed to signal something different from a safe sign with the hands open?

Some people use one; some use the other; some use both at different times -- but they all mean the same thing.

Oh yeah -- put me down in the safe sign with the "that's nothing" verbal (which is used in more situations than just this play)

• Like 1

Is the fist supposed to signal something different from a safe sign with the hands open?

Some people use one; some use the other; some use both at different times -- but they all mean the same thing.

Oh yeah -- put me down in the safe sign with the "that's nothing" verbal (which is used in more situations than just this play)

I agree. Good Post.

Hands open or hands closed mean the same thing.

Not so sure it's required, but most umpires would give a safe signal and say that's nothing.

It's required...by good mechanics.

We're out there not only to make rulings but to communicate. If you rule that this is not INT, then you need to communicate that, clearly and audibly, to everyone. The proper mechanic is the one everyone is giving: signal safe and verbalize, "That's nothing!"

player should know to keep acting as if the play is live until he hears or sees a umpire call them out

Not in the youth groups - it's part of the learning process. Takes a while.

Well, I coach them to play it out.

We coach them to play it out.  They just don't actually do it way too often.  Would you suggest flogging or just standing in the corner OK.  :)

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.