KenBAZ

1st EJ in 600+

That was essentially a "by rule" ejection. If you have MC, the offender must go. Any rule set. 

Doesnt count because there was NO discretion for you and no game management skills to use as preventive measure. 

You are The MAN.

That was essentially a "by rule" ejection. If you have MC, the offender must go. Any rule set. 

Doesnt count because there was NO discretion for you and no game management skills to use as preventive measure. 

You are The MAN.

Ha! Dave I think your right it was just a ruling. I've got interference and malicious contact. The proper award is a stay in the dugout for the rest of the game. No player, coach or fan said a word about it at the time or after the game. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

@KenBAZ it would appear by the topic, that this significant event has ruined a good run in your opinion.  Let me see if I can ease your pain.  As stated in the past, look at it as I do.  They do it to themselves.

I have NEVER ejected anyone.  I merely confirm their desire to no longer participate in that days contest.  However, the higher the temperatures get, the higher my tolerance level. I will do EVERYTHING I can to keep them in the game, especially If its triple digits.  I might lose my hearing for an inning.  Why would I let Ron the Rat go to an air conditioned area and enjoy adult beverages while I am sweating on the field??  No way pal, you're not getting off that easy.

@KenBAZ it would appear by the topic, that this significant event has ruined a good run in your opinion.  Let me see if I can ease your pain.  As stated in the past, look at it as I do.  They do it to themselves.

I have NEVER ejected anyone.  I merely confirm their desire to no longer participate in that days contest.  However, the higher the temperatures get, the higher my tolerance level. I will do EVERYTHING I can to keep them in the game, especially If its triple digits.  I might lose my hearing for an inning.  Why would I let Ron the Rat go to an air conditioned area and enjoy adult beverages while I am sweating on the field??  No way pal, you're not getting off that easy.

Maybe that explains the 600 games. I've forgotten what it's like to umpire a game when it's less then 100 degrees. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Ive gone 250+ and not had one. I think once you establish a reputation as being fair, consistent, and helpful when needed it goes a long ways. I have partners that have 5 a season and after working with them many times I see why. Of course sooner or later they deserve it and will eject themselves but many times I have seen an ego get the better of a situation. Both the coach and blue.

Eject if needed. I see too many umpires afraid to eject. Making it harder when we get the same coaches.

Ive gone 250+ and not had one. I think once you establish a reputation as being fair, consistent, and helpful when needed it goes a long ways. I have partners that have 5 a season and after working with them many times I see why. Of course sooner or later they deserve it and will eject themselves but many times I have seen an ego get the better of a situation. Both the coach and blue.

Okay, I am going to stir the pot a little.  This is not an attack on any poster.

I'm not impressed by posts with ejection statistics.  That includes posts that state, "I haven't had an ejection in x games" or "I haven't had an ejection in x years."  But it also includes posts that state, "I've gotten 10 this season," or "I got 5 ejections on one play last night."

What is more impressive is the substance of each "non-routine situation".  The things I want to know of another umpire (whether they're a poster on this site or not) are (1) do you take care of your sh!t when there is sh!t to be taken care of (or do you wilt under the pressure of a "non-routine situation" and do nothing...leaving it for the next umpire to handle)? (2) do you refrain from ejecting game personnel who may be arguing the substance of a call (or no-call) but have done nothing to "go over that line," to earn an ejection?  In other words, are you a coward, a reda$$ or do you have it figured out?

Unfortunately, there is no way to glean that from reading posts with EJ statistics.  Rather, the only way for one to tell whether or not another umpire handles non-routine situations well is to either work games with that other umpire (or to be that other umpire's evaluator).  [We may possibly be able to get an idea if a specific ejection was handled well if a poster posts his/her EJ report on the site...but often times those are HTBT posts.]

With regards to the OP: it entirely possible that Ken went 600 games without having any game personnel display any behavior that warrants an EJ.  It is also possible that Ken may have let things go (for another umpire to have to deal with in another game) that should have resulted in an EJ.  The truth is, none of us know.  And I'm not picking on Ken. In a sense, I'm picking on any poster that posts ejection statistics in an attempt to get us (the readers of a post with EJ statistics) to form an opinion on some aspect of the poster's umpiring ability based on those statistics.  (I'm not saying that Ken did this.)

In my first year in pro ball I ejected 10 persons.  Since 2002, I've ejected 2 head coaches and 4 assistant coaches in high school baseball.  In American Legion, I've ejected 3 head coaches and 5 players since 2004.  In 2015, I ejected 1 player and 1 assistant coach in my 51 NCAA games. 

What do those statistics tell you about my ability to handle non-routine situations?  Absolutely nothing.

Edited by lawump
  • Like 3

Am i the only one who thinks you over stepped your boundaries? If you were the BU let it go, it's the PU job to handle balls and strikes ( now there is a certain point were the BU can step in) I do not believe it was time for you to step in and quiet the Assistant coach down. But good job on giving the coach a warning ( or restriction ) and then the coach gets to decide if he chooses to stay in the game or not.

Now on the the Numbers of ejections.. some guys never EJ cause they are scared, some eject cause they're too aggressive. The number of Ejections means nothing, if i told how i have you think I'm weak.. but i handle my own. 

And one last thing. Just cause someone went to Umpire school or even worked in the Minors, that alone doesn't make them the holy grail. I saw and have seen guys at class with me, that couldn't tie their shoes correct, but got jobs in MiLB cause they had certain things.

• Like 1

I agree that EJ stats don't tell you much about how you handle non-routine situations. I used the 600+ in the subject line because I wanted to catch people's attention and get as many members feedback as possible. I value the imput I received and it has improved my handling of situations. Last weekend I had an ejection that I believe was warranted and another non-routine situation where I didn't eject when I perhaps should have. The ejection was for a HC who would not stop arguing about B/S. His team had been run ruled the previous game and was getting run ruled in this game. He came rushing out of the dugout to argue with my partner on a banger at first in the 1st inning. I ignored, acknowledged, warned, warned again over the course of a couple of innings. Finally I tried to restrict him but even after a couple more chances to stop I had to eject. Pretty routine and my assigner had no problem with my report. The other situation was involved a pick to third and a different team. I was the BU for this game. It was a routine play, F1 stepped right to the base and F5 broke to take the throw. The OHC asked for time and trotted out and started arguing for a balk. He insisted that since his team had been balked the day before he knew the rule was that the fielder had to be within a "step and a reach". I told him that a play was on and that F1 had thrown to the base to make a play on the runner. I had discussed the call from the day before with the crew and we had agreed that in that play the reason they had balked it was that F5 was well off the bag and had no idea that a pick was coming. Having just attended Jim Evans' Desert Classic Clinic I was very comfortable with my understanding. I was calm but the HC was pretty loud. I got him to return to the coaches box after a moment or two as he threw a couple of, "that's a balk and you know it!" over his shoulder at me. I didn't think that was a bad non-ejection. However, after 3 or 4 more batters the inning ended and I headed for short right. Here comes a loud mouth AC running out to me. I honestly didn't know why he was there. As soon as he opened his mouth I realized he wanted to argue about the pick. I turned away and told him I would not talk to him as he was not the HC and his HC had already had his say. I sent him back to his dugout and didn't discuss the play with him. I was more surprised then anything and realized he did not know it was wrong for an AC to run across the field to accost an umpire between innings? The feedback I got later was that he might have learned more quickly if I had ejected right away. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The feedback I got later was that he might have learned more quickly if I had ejected right away. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Never miss an opportunity to give a free educational seminar!  LOL

• Like 1