New Balance Plate Shoes Falling Apart

LittleBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3144 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys,

I, like many of you, wear the New Balance plate shoes, but I seem to be having a problem with them and I wanted to know if any of you have experienced something similar. Last year I bought a brand new pair of shoes from Ump-Attire and I fell in love with them. Then after only 20 or so plate games the material that keeps the plate for the top of the foot connected to the rest of the shoe ripped up so the plate was flopping all over the place. I tried a few things to fix them, but they always ended up flopping around during a game (a bad look even if no one really noticed). I gave up and bought another pair and they worked great for the rest of the season. Flash forward to now and that pair of shoes has been through quite a bit of games over the past season and a half, but again, last night the material broke and I'm left with a flopping plate. I haven't beat up the shoes in any way besides wearing them and I haven't taken a ball to the foot in I can't remember how long. All I know is that every time they break it seems I'm working solo and having to run around a bit more than usual. Any ideas or should I just buy new shoes? I haven't seen Reebok shoes around (did they stop making plate shoes?) and I have a pair of 3N2's that I don't trust above little league.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

A little off topic but same idea. Has anyone heard about any new styles of plate shoes coming out? Right now the only two plate shoes you can find are New Balance or 3n2.  I know that New Balance has new base shoe style coming out I was just hoping that a new plate shoe is in the works. 

Hey guys, so no luck with uploading a pic even at home. @MadMax the problem is at the front of the tarsal guard, near the toes, where it is connected to the rest of the shoe.

@catsbackr I'm going to call them later this afternoon.

Sorry for the problem with the NB plate shoes. I see some good directions here but don't hesitate to reach out to myself with a PM or to service staff if we can help in any way.

A little off topic but same idea. Has anyone heard about any new styles of plate shoes coming out? Right now the only two plate shoes you can find are New Balance or 3n2.  I know that New Balance has new base shoe style coming out I was just hoping that a new plate shoe is in the works. 

NB is planning a new plate shoe for 2017 (Dec 2016 more typical). No further details available at this time.

Current NB base shoes being discontinued - what you see in stock at retailers is it. New base shoes to arrive in 3 months.

Reebok is officially out of the umpire market.

This is how the shoe is right now guys. It got a little worse last plate game.

@johnnyg08 I usually clean off the shoes with a bit of water and a rag after each game then they are stored in trunk by my equipment bag. Since everything else besides my shoes is in the bag, not much can hit them or fall on to them.

1441652481048-1272765701.jpg

NB is planning a new plate shoe for 2017 (Dec 2016 more typical). No further details available at this time.

Current NB base shoes being discontinued - what you see in stock at retailers is it. New base shoes to arrive in 3 months.

Reebok is officially out of the umpire market.

Is the 1000v2 the new base shoe? If so, have you heard if there will be a high top model?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I, like many of you, wear the New Balance plate shoes, but I seem to be having a problem with them and I wanted to know if any of you have experienced something similar. Last year I bought a brand new pair of shoes from Ump-Attire and I fell in love with them. Then after only 20 or so plate games the material that keeps the plate for the top of the foot connected to the rest of the shoe ripped up so the plate was flopping all over the place. I tried a few things to fix them, but they always ended up flopping around during a game (a bad look even if no one really noticed). I gave up and bought another pair and they worked great for the rest of the season. Flash forward to now and that pair of shoes has been through quite a bit of games over the past season and a half, but again, last night the material broke and I'm left with a flopping plate. I haven't beat up the shoes in any way besides wearing them and I haven't taken a ball to the foot in I can't remember how long. All I know is that every time they break it seems I'm working solo and having to run around a bit more than usual. Any ideas or should I just buy new shoes? I haven't seen Reebok shoes around (did they stop making plate shoes?) and I have a pair of 3N2's that I don't trust above little league.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Had the same issue with my first pair of NB. I called them up and they replaced them before I even sent back the old ones since I needed them 2 days after I discovered the issue. Great customer service on behalf of NB, however the second pair did the same thing. This time it they were older than a year and more than 100 games in so NB didn't replace but offered me a $40 gift card or something. I went with the Reebok Magistrates instead. So far so good. They're still available on Amazon.

@conbo61 the 1000V2 could work as a base/field shoe if you don't need to move around a lot.  Not much traction on the sole.  These are the new field shoe available in December(not the greatest photo), mid and low, widths to 4E but only available to size 14.  As Jim said, look for new plate shoes late fall 2016.  Hard to see in these shots but the sole has substantially more traction than the 1000V2.

mu950mk2_14.thumb.JPG.4ab9e603fc48b5b565mu950mw2_14.thumb.JPG.eeb35d042e27dd6731  

I got a pair of the New Balance plate shoes the end of last season but have not used them much yet so I hope this is not a constant problem.  Up to this point I never really wore plate shoes anyway but since i am moving up in ages and amount of games i wanted to get a little more protection.  

@conbo61 the 1000V2 could work as a base/field shoe if you don't need to move around a lot.  Not much traction on the sole.  These are the new field shoe available in December(not the greatest photo), mid and low, widths to 4E but only available to size 14.  As Jim said, look for new plate shoes late fall 2016.  Hard to see in these shots but the sole has substantially more traction than the 1000V2.

mu950mk2_14.thumb.JPG.4ab9e603fc48b5b565mu950mw2_14.thumb.JPG.eeb35d042e27dd6731  

so, this is the new "950", then?

Thank you for the quick reply.

@conbo61 the 1000V2 could work as a base/field shoe if you don't need to move around a lot. - you must have seen a couple of my base games. :P

What is the model of the new base shoe?