Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3154 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I just returned from Cooperstown Dreams Park week 12, and it was another great week.  I had an amazing crew to work with, and enjoyed myself all week - well, except for the ugly bicep bruise I have from a 60 mph inside fast ball that the catcher never touched.  Wednesday night, the assignments were given out for Thursday's play off games and when I saw my name listed for plate in the championship game, I thought I might fall over.  It might only be "12 year old baseball" to some people, but at that park, in that setting, it's a big deal.  They put on quite the production for the final game, and I was a bundle of nerves off and on during the day.  Pre-game on the field involves fireworks, announcing of the umpires, the players, and the national anthem - for which I had to carry the flag out behind 2nd base and not move while it was sung.  (I was just hoping I wouldn't trip on the walk out there!!) :blink:

Once I put the ball in play, all was good.  I kept the generous strike zone that I'd had all week (which I was instructed to have) and things rolled along.  We had the #1 and #2 seeded teams playing, so it was a good game.  We had several home runs, some good defensive plays and then the #1 seed broke it wide open in the 5th.  The only thing that I regret is the fact that with 2 outs in the top of the 6th, the catcher missed a 76 mph fast ball ball and I took it straight on the upper thigh.  The next pitch was a strike and the game was over, but the bruise from that pitch will remain with me for a week or two.

Watching the replay of the game is interesting, mostly because the announcers annoy me.  It's weird watching myself call a game, but to listen to guys second guess your strike zone is not fun.  However, when I hear the comment "She's the most consistent plate umpire we've had all summer", I'll take it.  :D  The fact that they said it more than once is even better.  

• Like 7