Thunderheads

Francona's EJ on a neighborhood-no review

Terry Ratcona at it again...

he is, but ....I'm tending to agree with him here.   That's NOT a neighborhood play ....throw took him off the bag

he is, but ....I'm tending to agree with him here.   That's NOT a neighborhood play ....throw took him off the bag

Me, too.

• Like 1

That is the neighbor play to me.  Yes, the throw is offline, but he easily holds the bag if he isn't also trying to maintain momentum away from the runner.  Note that his glove arm is bent at the elbow.

But the whole concept of the neighborhood play is an ill-defined anachronism in the replay era.  MLB needs to chuck the idea and institute tighter control over the runner's behavior (e.g., the FPSR). 

That is the neighbor play to me.  Yes, the throw is offline, but he easily holds the bag if he isn't also trying to maintain momentum away from the runner.  Note that his glove arm is bent at the elbow.

But the whole concept of the neighborhood play is an ill-defined anachronism in the replay era.  MLB needs to chuck the idea and institute tighter control over the runner's behavior (e.g., the FPSR). 

stop the video at .07 ...... r1 isn't even in the same zip code as the play at 2nd .........

stop the video at .07 ...... r1 isn't even in the same zip code as the play at 2nd .........

That's a valid point, but look at where the runner is when the fielder completes the throw another half second later.  I don't think this standard for neighborhood play is well-defined.

That's a valid point, but look at where the runner is when the fielder completes the throw another half second later.  I don't think this standard for neighborhood play is well-defined.

concur

It's my understanding he tried to but was told he cannot due to it being not reviewable because it's the neighborhood play. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By richhardisty
      Hello all,
      I have been using a West Vest Gold for the past couple of seasons and while the protection has been phenomenal, the whole thing feels bulky and does leave my lower ribs (it is the largest sized of the three sizes Wilson offers) and abdomen exposed. With that in mind, I'm looking at getting a Force 3 protector after reading some of the smaller reviews in places like ump-attire, but was looking to see if anyone had anymore feedback that was a bit more in-depth. Primarily using it for varsity level high school ball

Any help/feedback would be appreciated greatly
    • By Umpire in Chief
      DESCRIPTION
      Finally, a professional-grade wallet for serious umpires and officials with magnet holders that won't allow your lineup or game cards to slip out of your wallet when you open it up. This multi-featured wallet, exclusively at Ump-Attire.com and newly redesigned by a veteran umpire, is made of heavy duty, yet lightweight materials and should be expected to last multiple seasons.
      FEATURES
      UPDATED: Magnets are now offset - not on top of each other - which makes for a lower profile and sleeker design UPDATED: Firmer writing surface makes it easier to make game notes with pen or pencil. Magnets strongly secure any size lineup cards or game notes and keep the wallet securely closed until you are ready to open it. No-rip spine has extra room inside to easily secure pen or pencil without needing to take extra time to place into loop Versatile - will fit into either your umpire (or referee) shirt or jacket pocket, your ball bag or your back pocket at approximately 6" tall and 3.75" wide Longer design made-to-fit longer lineup cards and all RefSmart and book style game cards Color: Black No logo design for the most professional look Wallet (notebook) can be used as baseball or softball umpire lineup card holder, football or lacrosse game card holder or other use.
      Designed by umpire Ray Brownlie of Ump Life @Razzer
      This product is available from Ump-Attire.com.

• By Umpire in Chief
      The Wilson® Silver Dyna-Lite™ Aluminum Umpire Mask is the lightest umpire face mask available from Wilson.  It offers the same lightweight feel as titanium-without the cost. The memory foam mask pads are wrapped in a moisture wicking fabric for the best in comfort, perspiration management and protection.
      Features:
      Unique construction: Anodized silver aluminum cage provides an improved, clear field of vision Lightweight: Weighs approximately 1.3lbs (.58kg) with harness and pads Comfort, Protection, and Performance: Non-wraparound memory foam padding allows the mask to sit closer to face for better vision. This mask is available exclusively from our friends at Ump-Attire.com.
    • By rjdakin
      I have seen a bunch of posts inquiring about the +POS Cobra CP. The only information I found online was not good at all. So I went ahead bought one and wanted to share my review with everyone that might interested in purchasing one. Please keep in mind this is my first video review of anything ever. Hope it answers some questions about it. Tha

• By Umpire in Chief
      The official on-field shoe for MLB umpires for the 2017 season, the MU460v3 New Balance Umpire Plate Shoes are designed for that extra look of authority with its hi-gloss finish that is easy to clean while maintaining the comfort, breathability and traction you expect in an on-field athletic shoe.
      The redesigned floating instep guard provides advanced features. First, it provides maximum protection where you need it most, on the inside of your feet, without the extra bulk on the outside where you don't. Second, it "releases" from the top making it easier to take on and off and to lace your shoelaces. Third, there is a mesh strap that creates space between your shoe and guard for air to flow.
      This mid-cut style is all-black with MLB logo on the tongue and heel and with NB logo on sole.
      FEATURES
      Dispersion Instep Guard provides more inner foot protection ABZORB® - a blend of Dupont™ Engage® and Isoprene rubber - in heel and forefoot provides superior shock absorption and cushioning throughout the game Strategically placed mesh strap on inside of metatarsal guard that promotes air flow and breathability Guard releases for easy on/off Mid-cut provides greater ankle support Hi-gloss is easy to clean / polishable Snug-fit integrated neoprene sock liner provides additional comfort between foot and hard toe Nubby outsole for enhanced traction 23.1 ounces The official plate shoes for MLB umpires For baseball or softball