LLWS Regionals -HPUs

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2772 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone watching these Regional games?

In the short time I've been reading UE, I've learned a lot about proper positioning, I still have a lot more to learn.   

Has anyone noticed anything about the positioning on some of the plays?

Do not watch the LLWS games at all and try an justify where those guys stand or what their Strike Zone is. I have seen a few very god umpires work these games, but for the most part, it is more of an award for donating so much time to LL Games over the years. Give the gentlemen a lot of credit for donating their time. And for the most part, they do an ok job. But you can not compare them to the information you get on this site. The people on here have umpired some of the best baseball this nation has to offer. They are very knowledgeable and can flat out Umpire.

• Like 2

Do not watch the LLWS games at all and try an justify where those guys stand or what their Strike Zone is. I have seen a few very god umpires work these games, but for the most part, it is more of an award for donating so much time to LL Games over the years. Give the gentlemen a lot of credit for donating their time. And for the most part, they do an ok job. But you can not compare them to the information you get on this site. The people on here have umpired some of the best baseball this nation has to offer. They are very knowledgeable and can flat out Umpire.

yea, I see what you mean after the call in the Midwest Semi just now.  Force at the plate, runner clearly out, HPU rules safe.... SMH  

I'm enjoying the baseball and I realize the umps are all volunteer and there on their own dime.

yea, I see what you mean after the call in the Midwest Semi just now.  Force at the plate, runner clearly out, HPU rules safe.... SMH  

I see a post on facebook where someone believes that obstruction was called on a play at the plate in a Midwest game.  Is that possible on the play in question?  If the catcher set up in the base line without the ball and the runner was hindered, that can be obstruction without contact.

I guess it could be the play.

player had a clean slide between 2's legs to get the plate easily.  IIRC without any contact (edit - there was minor contact with the catchers back leg)

(see post below for video)

Also 2 had the ball a good 3 steps before R3 was there

Edited by stkjock

HOK stance, hammer.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  :ZZZ:

How much of this is a result of "that's what my assigner/District UIC wants to see."  These guys may be in a situation where if they do anything else, they don't move up.  its just like softball.

How much of this is a result of "that's what my assigner/District UIC wants to see."  These guys may be in a situation where if they do anything else, they don't move up.  its just like softball.

That may be the case. IMO, they shouldn't be micro-managing to that extent.
  • Like 2

You can clean up mechanics without turning people into robots.

I can't remember how many times (back when I was starting out) I was told by a veteran that their way was the "correct" way.  My first two seasons were VERY frustrating because I was trying to learn and improve, but I received LOTS of conflicting information.  I seemed that some umpires were just on a power trip.  Over time I was able to figure out who knew what they were talking about and who didn't.

The problem arises when these types of umpires get into positions of power that hold undue influence on someone else's career.

Just my experiences. YMMV.

Edited by conbo61

I guess it could be the play.

player had a clean slide between 2's legs to get the plate easily.  IIRC without any contact 

Also 2 had the ball a good 3 steps before R3 was there

For this part: If the runner had to alter his approach because of the catcher's position and the catcher did not have the ball then it's obstruction. Period.

We're going to start a new thread on this play. It doesn't seem like they ruled HBP on this play.  Let's see what we can learn from it.

no they ruled it hit the knob and it was in play - the crux of my question is why was R3 called safe?

With that specific topic headed that way, I'll go back this direction... The robotic, out-of-place mechanics someone is teaching these guys are not only evident on PUs, but also BUs. In a Tuesday game, I watched a U2, so brainwashed and focused on coming in and getting to the infield side of the 2B cutout, his back was turned on what should have been his call of catch / no-catch on a fly ball to F8. The result was a discouraging review and deliberation as to if the ballplayer caught it or not. The umpire who was closest and should have been making that call was running away from the play! If you read ball first, instead of listening to a voice in your head prompting you to "do it this way!", this doesn't happen.

I can't remember how many times (back when I was starting out) I was told by a veteran that their way was the "correct" way.  My first two seasons were VERY frustrating because I was trying to learn and improve, but I received LOTS of conflicting information.  I seemed that some umpires were just on a power trip.  Over time I was able to figure out who knew what they were talking about and who didn't.

The problem arises when these types of umpires get into positions of power that hold undue influence on someone else's career.

Just my experiences. YMMV.

Oh, you must mean the similar influencing opinion that Navy (crap, any color, pick one) is the only color this league / association shall wear, and that one shirt is all you need. Another is that BUs must have indicators with them. Another is that you must use this mechanic or you're not doing it the way we taught you.

• Like 1

I've seen all second base umpires do this. Only thing I can think of is that they're having the rf and lf umpires take all fly balls to the outfield.

4 man working coach pitch rules is bound to lead to some issues.

Not his assignment.

I won't blame the umpires for doing what they're told.  I've been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

But the mechanics they use simply need to change.  Working from the assumption that umpires need to be tethered to the base because someone *might* miss a rotation is umpiring scared and, frankly, insulting to those who know what they're doing.

When I worked U2 in the final of the Senior WS, I was told not to go out.  I wasn't happy, but I said I'd comply.  I did, to a point -- I didn't go out, but I didn't come in, either.  I stayed in the outfield for balls in the V and took plays at second from the outside.

As for the rest, I used the same mechanics, timing, etc. at my WS and 3 regionals that I use for HS and college games.  Nobody (with the exception of rotations) has ever told me how to umpire a LL game differently than what I usually bring to the table.

Edited by RichMSN