Majestic Cool Base Polo

Mizzou2016
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3160 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Majestic no longer sells the "pro" black with the white piping as seen in my profile photo. I have several majestic shirts as well as the honigs version and I much prefer the Honigs because of the collar that stays down and the buttons that do not turn purple. 

Obviously the new all black Majestic shirts have not been well received by the pro guys because they can still be seen wearing the old majestic (white piping) on a regular basis. 

If you are looking to size up, my advice to you is to invest in the Honigs shirt. Besides the logo on the back of the neck there is no noticeable difference between the two. 

Check eBay. Someone has been periodically selling the powder blue and black Majestic MLB shirts. If I recall correctly, there are pretty pricy.

Yea I saw that they are pretty pricey - I got my small for $16 + shipping last summer. It didn't register that they were phasing them out. 

I'll probably go with a Honigs

Does anyone know why these are not being sold anymore? I got a black mlb style majestic polo last year, and wanted to get a size up, but can only find the honigs and smitty brands. 

Did the mlb guys go away from majestic?

Majestic no longer sells the "pro" black with the white piping as seen in my profile photo. I have several majestic shirts as well as the honigs version and I much prefer the Honigs because of the collar that stays down and the buttons that do not turn purple. 

Obviously the new all black Majestic shirts have not been well received by the pro guys because they can still be seen wearing the old majestic (white piping) on a regular basis. 

If you are looking to size up, my advice to you is to invest in the Honigs shirt. Besides the logo on the back of the neck there is no noticeable difference between the two. 

No, MLB did not go away from Majestic... Majestic got "out of tune, out of touch" with the MLB and with umpires as a whole. The "PebbleKnit Cool Base" fabric got replaced by something alot smoother and (weight-wise) lighter, but... to roll it out in only a black, unadorned polo and a traditional navy polo??! I hope any/the explanation involves someone getting fired.

Really. Seriously. You are a huge sports apparel supplier, subsidized by the VF corporation (which also owns Wrangler, Lee, JanSport, The North Face, Eastpak, Vans, Timberland, SmartWool, Nautica, etc.), with an exclusive supply contract for Major League Baseball, and you completely and utterly drop the ball and not only end one of your best style lines, but debut only two new shirt styles, neither of which look similar, and one of which should be shredded, burned and have its ashes dispersed to the wind from all seven continents.

With that said, Honig's does have the best non-Majestic modern-stripe style shirt. It's smooth, lightweight, tough, resilient and holds its shape well when damp. I can wear a Honig's long-sleeve in nearly any conditions and I don't feel too warm or not warm enough. I can't say that about my Cliff Keen long-sleeve, which is so husky, it's best used on cold days only (because I have committed to never wearing a jacket behind the plate). 

I have a Smitty modern-stripe, and I'm not a big fan of it. As someone else pointed out, the buttons are weird, the collar doesn't hold its shape, and their pebble-knit fabric serves no real purpose. It's as if they did it to be a knock-off of the Majestic. Another modern-stripe maker to consider is West Coast Umpire Apparel (WCUA) out of Los Angeles. Search for "WCUA shirt" on eBay, and you'll find him – the gentleman-owner is a former umpire.

Then, there's always the "mad hatter" (or would that be "mad shirter"?) of umpire apparel, The Official's Choice. I like the direction he goes with such colors as Bermuda Blue, Vegas Gold, Sage, Maroon, etc., and even takes the "classic" colors – cream, grey, powder (with navy stripe) – and gives them the modern-stripe treatment. There's even a navy version! The material is featherlight, and sometimes, they look a little... unfinished, but I give him props for forward, radical thinking.

Majestic better do something to wow us for 2016, because 2015 was a forgettable dud.

• Like 1

I wonder when the MLB guys will wise up, and use their position on the field for getting some top notch gear. Every year they get crap to wear, and nothing in return. Someone in that outfit is making $$ from Majestic, Wilson and NB, and not passing it on. Really, who would wear a Majestic shirt, if they had a choice?

Honestly, it's 2015, and they're wearing wool slacks, and crappy, unathletic shirts. And that trickles down to us, fellas. Let's not forget wool hats. WOOL HATS IN JULY!

Where's the mesh in the armpits, and in the back? Ever wear a pair of Adidas Climacool golf pants, with vents in the waist, and behind the knees? Genius.

The Official's Choice, although starting out with GIGANTIC shirts and near black pants, do offer us a choice. I've got a couple of jerseys that are better than anything else on the market. No, I'm not a fan of the camo or flag, but that's a personal choice. If they get their act together with the supplier (long lag times, and they have no idea when shipments will arrive), they could be the go-to supplier. Their flubs with pants and ball bags will be forgotten, and we'll all be wearing OC stuff.

What I proposed to them is for OC to be the official umpire supplier to Little League. Why nobody has tapped the largest umpire market there is, is beyond me. Create a classy and distinctive jersey, and you'll have thousands of new customers. With ESPN coverage every year, there's you marketing for the next season. Easton figured this out, when they introduce a new colored carbon bat at Williamsport every year.

Edited by kylejt
  • Like 1