All Star System 7 vs. Force 3

ElkOil
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3179 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm looking to upgrade my shin guards from the bulky Honig's ones I use today to something lighter.  I'm looking at the All Star System Sevens and the Force 3 shins.  I know people rave about the Force 3's, but can anyone one make a recommendation or express a preference?  Or throw out a different option to consider?

I had the System7s for about 5 games and that's all they lasted. Comfortable until you get hit wearing them. I had a bruise on my shin that you would have thought I got from not wearing any shin guards at all. They also felt bulky to me in the knee. Even more so than my west vest pro shin guards. When it comes down to it they are a catcher's shin guard that is modified to be an umpire's shin guard. If you're down to those two options I say go with the force 3s. 

Force3 all day and twice on Sunday....comfortable and you NEVER feel anything. You forget you have them on and you run in them with ease. Extreme low profile, especially with Honig's Poly Wools. i personally will not wear anything else.

Dish.jpg

• Like 7

I had the System7s for about 5 games and that's all they lasted. Comfortable until you get hit wearing them. I had a bruise on my shin that you would have thought I got from not wearing any shin guards at all. They also felt bulky to me in the knee. Even more so than my west vest pro shin guards. When it comes down to it they are a catcher's shin guard that is modified to be an umpire's shin guard. If you're down to those two options I say go with the force 3s. 

funny you should say that .........I love mine, but I'd never got hit,...until a couple weekends ago, ....2 bad F2's (lazy) ...I got hit twice in 2 different games ....not that hard, but both were felt!  I was sort of surprised ...no bruises, but I definitely felt them ....

When a hundred people all say the same thing, its a pretty safe call.  @ElkOil, I didn't believe it either until I got mine, but they do match the hype.  "You will forget that you have them on", is a common theme...because it is absolutely true.  I've taken 3 solid shots to them and never felt pressure.  Just get them!

@ElkOil, make sure you review the threads about how to measure for them, and determine which size you "knee-d" (ha ha! I crack myself up). And do recall, that if you do need the Large 18" size, @grayhawk has a set he's selling!

These truly are the last set of shinguards you will ever buy*.

* - Unless the dog chews em up, or you get into a spat with SWMBO and they are confiscated, or etc.

• Like 4

I actually wish I had the bigger 18" set, I have the 16.5" and have taken a couple of shots above the knee that I think the 18" would have stopped.  Maybe we can all work out a three way trade, it is the MLB trade deadline after all.

@Grayhawk gets cash

@ElkOil gets 16.5"

@Ringemup gets 18"

As for taking any shots, I've had some good ones and felt little to nothing.

The Force3 shins are the best shin guards ever made, and I'm not just saying that because I'm selling a pair.  I have tried the Honigs K17, Wilson Gold, All Star S7 (LGU1000), and the Davishins.  The only ones that even come close from a protection standpoint are the Honigs and Wilsons (which are tanks).

Force3 offers the best combination of being lightweight, low profile, comfort, fit and protection, and all at a competitive price.  There is no close second.

I, like Mr Ump, have used both.  I had the All Stars first and took one shot off of them and that was enough.  Had never felt pain from being hit in the shins, but this time it hurt like a mo fo.  And it left a bruise on my shin to boot.  I went back to my Wilson's until Force 3 came out with their guards.  Force 3 are incredible.  I think I was a lab rat as far as being one of the first guys to try them out.  Nothing comes close, not even remotely.  Buy them with complete confidence.

• Like 1

Welp, here's an update for y'all.  My new Force 3 shins arrived today -- two days after I realized I just umped my last game until the fall.

D'Oh!  :mad:

They sure do look purdy, though.

I'll be offering up my Honig's K20-17s for sale once I clean them up and take some pics, so if you're in the market, PM me.

Welp, here's an update for y'all.  My new Force 3 shins arrived today -- two days after I realized I just umped my last game until the fall.

D'Oh!  :mad:

They sure do look purdy, though.

I'll be offering up my Honig's K20-17s for sale once I clean them up and take some pics, so if you're in the market, PM me.

Just strut around the house screaming, " I feel pretty".  People will understand.

• Like 2