Diamond Masks Recalled --

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3151 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Diamond-Sports-Recalls-Umpire-and-Catcher-Face-Masks/

• Diamond face mask

1 of 3 photos

Diamond face mask

Recall Summary

Name of product:

Diamond Sports face masks

Hazard:

Stitching on the face mask’s harness can fail causing the mask to loosen or come off, posing a risk of impact injury.

Consumer Contact:

Diamond Sports toll free at (888) 558-2250 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, by email atred@diamond-sports.com or online at www.diamond-sports.com and click on Recall Information for more information.

Report an Incident Involving this Product

Recall Details

Units

About 10,000

Description

This recall involves Diamond Sports umpire and catcher face masks with Diamond harnesses. The masks and harnesses are black. Diamond is printed in white on the harness. The face masks have lot number D-0143, D-0842, D-1041, D-1142, D-0152 or D-0451.  Lot numbers can be found on a sticker on an inside metal bar in the face mask. Only faces mask harnesses that do not have box stitching, a reinforced “X” stitching inside a box, located on the harness straps are included in this recall.

Incidents/Injuries

The firm has received 36 reports of the stitching failing on the harnesses. No injuries have been reported.

Remedy

Consumers should immediately stop using recalled face masks and contact Diamond Sports for a free replacement harness.

Sold at

Sporting goods stores nationwide from February 2014 through May 2015 for between $31 and $106 for the complete mask with harness. The harnesses were also sold separately for between $3 and $6.

Importer(s)

Diamond Sports Inc., of Santa Ana, Calif.

Manufactured in

Taiwan

Edited by Umpire in Chief

Damn, and here I was hoping that the recall was on...

1. The pathetic, paltry, paper-thin pads Diamond got away with putting on the iX3 series masks for several years. These were much more likely to get you killed messed up than a harness.
  2. A "false advertising" citation (not so much a recall) against those vendors of Diamond (and perhaps Diamond itself) for marketing the iX3 as a Titanium mask. It isn't – it's aluminum. It's a great mask, but it ain't titanium (you should see the umpires I tell this to; they look at me like I kicked their puppy). Diamond (and its vendors) suckered a lot of guys in by promoting it as a Titanium finish (ie. paint colour), and omitting to state what the mask is actually made of.

Well, I suppose you Diamond owners can get a free harness out of it.

The only thing that I hope is that the umpires who switched the pads to TW's didn't threw the original pads to the garbage. That will be the only way for them to know if it is part of the recall.

Not true. The mask's batch number is located on the frame, under the pad's Velcro tab. You don't have to send the frame in; just notify Diamond you have one of the offending units.

The pads can stay in the garbage, where they belong.

• Like 1

Members,
Hope everyone is having a good summer.

This is the first recall we've seen of a product we have sold, so I wanted to make sure we are covering all our bases as a retailer. 

Just wrote a blog that may clear up some questions.
http://www.ump-attire.com/Umpire-Articles/2014-and-2015-Diamond-Umpire-Masks-Recalled-Due-to-Harness-Stitching

Yes, it is a mask recall but this issue is about the harness. It's the harness that will actually be replaced. It's like saying there is a recall of your 2014 Ford Explorer but the issue is the wiper blade that could detach while it's raining causing you not to be able to see the road. As it's easy for you to put on the new blade, Ford will send you the new blade without you having to send in the whole car. (Note: I made up this analogy. If you have a 2014 Explorer, I am not actually aware of a wiper blade recall. Do not be alarmed.)

• Like 1

This whole thing is crazy.  The problem is with the harness, but the picture shows a velcro strap circled...but actually they are just telling you that your lot # is under that strap.  Anyway, knowing that product recalls only come after MULTIPLE reported failures...and a cost/benefit analysis on the cost to do a recall vs the potential loss in a lawsuit.  I'm surprised that Diamond is doing this.  

Has anyone ever had a problem with a Diamond harness?  Please chime in if you have.

Not to steer too far off topic but while I was on the CPSC website, I searched but did not see any of the resin masks which gained huge popularity quickly and then faded just as quickly with the reports of masks breaking and shattering. Was there never an official recall on those?

• 2 weeks later...

This whole thing is crazy.  The problem is with the harness, but the picture shows a velcro strap circled...but actually they are just telling you that your lot # is under that strap.  Anyway, knowing that product recalls only come after MULTIPLE reported failures...and a cost/benefit analysis on the cost to do a recall vs the potential loss in a lawsuit.  I'm surprised that Diamond is doing this.  

Has anyone ever had a problem with a Diamond harness?  Please chime in if you have.

I've been using a Diamond iX3 for the past 3 years and have had no problem.  In fact, it was great protection against some hard foul tips (once, 3 in one game).  The harness has not given me any problems.  I can't find a lot number on mine, but I'll call them anyway.

I've been using a Diamond iX3 for the past 3 years and have had no problem.  In fact, it was great protection against some hard foul tips (once, 3 in one game).  The harness has not given me any problems.  I can't find a lot number on mine, but I'll call them anyway.

You might be too close to the catcher if you keep getting hit with foul tips. :P

• Like 3