Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3186 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is mild, but still ........ you can't throw your stuff after a called strike 3, have it hit the umpire, then expect to stay in it ..... how many times has Napoli done this and been tossed ??

Guess I it different I saw a ballplayer upset he took a third strike and threw his helmet down which bounced and land on the steel plate of the PU shoe, would you also eject if he swung and missed and did the same thing, or if hit a shot that was caught and the same thing happened.

Guess I it different I saw a ballplayer upset he took a third strike and threw his helmet down which bounced and land on the steel plate of the PU shoe, would you also eject if he swung and missed and did the same thing, or if hit a shot that was caught and the same thing happened.

Yeah, players often throw their hands up like that because they're mad at themselves.  Your ability to read body language needs some serious work.

The Ejection started on the second strike. This is in the first inning, keep in mind... That second strike pitch was a strike, inside corner. Napoli didn't like it, and griped. Then the fouled-off-in-the-dirt (he must have _barely_ got it), then the final strike. That one was a bit lower than the second strike, but if the PU establishes that as the bottom of his zone, then you roll with it. Again, this is the first inning.

Napoli's helmet bounce, in close proximity to the plate, and the undressing of his guards and armor is a wordless show-up of the PU. Tolerated to a point, and that point was crossed when the helmet made contact – no matter how slight and trivial – with the PU. He done.

Maybe it me  as I played the game for 30 years most of them as a catcher and with emotion and accepts that competitive people have a tendency to show that emotion as they hate losing ( I always have ) so I am more forgiving and definetly not easily intimidated

Maybe it me  as I played the game for 30 years most of them as a catcher and with emotion and accepts that competitive people have a tendency to show that emotion as they hate losing ( I always have ) so I am more forgiving and definetly not easily intimidated

If you read lips, Toby Basner said, "Your helmet hit me in the foot."... And what did Napoli do? Walked away. He knows he crossed the line (the point, whatever). Farrell has to come out and defend his player, because if he doesn't, he'd surely lose his entire dugout. Did Farrell get tossed? If he didn't, he and Basner likely just had a "show dispute"... probably talked about how the grounds crew screwed Napoli by making the dirt circle so bounce-able, or something.

Of course, there's a place for passion and for players being upset with themselves. Adults — especially adults in the show — need to learn how to express that passion in ways that are not to be confused with showing up the umpire.

That said, a player upset with himself is not what I see in that video.

• Like 1

Sorry to me that is NOT something that should cause him to ejected, quick hook on plate umpire.

I'm glad you are on this site if you are an umpire...because if you won't eject over this, you could use some training in my opinion.  This is textbook even if it never touched the umpire.  The helmet hitting him just made it easy and kept him from ejecting the manager too.  

Just so you understand (I don't know you or your experience level), I'm not slamming you personally for saying this.  But as a guy who could potentially follow you or be paired up with you in a future game, not ejecting for this makes it harder on all of us.  When we are inconsistent about this level of unsportsmanlike conduct, we send the message that things like this are subjective.  Why would throwing a helmet down on the plate be remotely OK?  He is clearly mad at the umpire on this and the 37,000 fans who came to watch him just got cheated...by him.  There is nothing wrong with us setting a standard of decency and consistently enforcing it from T-Ball to Fenway Park.

• Like 4

And that is the problem. You are umpiring like a player instead of as an umpire!

• Like 2

And that is the problem. You are umpiring like a player instead of as an umpire!

I fall in that trap from time to time 30 years as a player only 7as umpire believe it or not it is a work in  progress that I am working hard to correct.

• Like 1

I fall in that trap from time to time 30 years as a player only 7as umpire believe it or not it is a work in  progress that I am working hard to correct.

We are all trying to get better. That's why we are here!!

When you stop trying to get better, it's time to hang them up!

• Like 2