Liitle League EJ makes TV news

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3135 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Might be more to the story since dad and player referenced being "cheated" in the interviews. That doesn't put them in a good light with me:

I see the helmet being thrown after the run scores and per 1.16 a warning should be given before an ejection. But the demeanor of the player and whether the helmet being thrown was a show up of the umpires who "cheated" them might justify a UC ejection right away:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Lafayette-Little-League-Player-Ejected-After-Celebrating-Walk-Off-Win-318497851.html

I don't agree with the EJ based on that story.  Ejecting coaches is one thing.  Ejecting a player is something else entirely and you have to choose to not see certain things like this, in my opinion.  I think you're right that there's more to this story, and if that's the case, the ump needs to put anything that happened in the past behind him.

• Like 1

By the Letter of the Law, the U-1 is right.  Bring it to the news to bring this umpire a public humiliation is a rat move by the parent and a more rat move by the reporter and the TV station.

Both FED and LL require a warning for removing the helmet. What rule are you reading? If the helmet throwing was perceived as UC a warning was not necessary.

• Like 1

Hard to say for sure, but it doesn't look like that helmet was tossed up in the air in celebration. It looks more like it was slammed to the ground. Add to that, the kid's comment  "I got cheated a couple times..", and I get the sense there's more to this story. Like what was said, and who was it directed at when he slammed that helmet down.

Edited by Richvee

Hard to say for sure, but it doesn't look like that helmet was tossed up in the air in celebration. It looks more like it was slammed to the ground. Add to that, the kid's comment  "I got cheated a couple times..", and I get the sense there's more to this story. Like what was said, and who was it directed at when he slammed that helmet down.

Oh yeah - nobody anywhere ever spikes anything in a celebration . . .

Absolutely a BS ejection.

OTOH why was he in the batting cage without his helmet?

• Like 2

Perhaps you missed the "hard to say for sure" part of my post. I'm just giving a possible scenario of what MAY have happened.  I'm glad you're so certain, without being there, that he threw his helmet to the ground and yelled "Whippie!! We won!!!" 

Maybe I'm tarnished by all the little snot nosed, foulmouthed, sense of entitlement 13 year olds I've come across in the last several years to think maybe...just maybe, after having been "cheated" by this umpire "a couple times" during this game, he thew the helmet down and spouted something like "Take that and shove it, Blue"......And please don't tell me the little naive, innocent 13 year old would never do such a thing .. I've seen and heard it way too often.

I have no idea what went down. Just guessing. To call anything an "absolute" from a one sided news story and spotty video is pretty ignorant, IMO.

• Like 6

Both the coach and player look and sound like a-holes. Add this to my list of favorite LL rules..

What a slow news day that they are covering petty crap like this. A player was ejected.. :rolleyes:

The umpires look sharp in black.

Your last sentence might explain why your second sentence might be in error. OTOH, the strident actions of the umpire after the events also make me wonder. Must be more to the story.

Both the coach and player look and sound like a-holes. Add this to my list of favorite LL rules..

What a slow news day that they are covering petty crap like this. A player was ejected.. :rolleyes:

The umpires look sharp in black.

Sidebar: what LL rule are you talking about? Both FEd and LL require a warning before possibly ejecting  player for live ball removal of a helmet. FED, NCAA LL, OBR do not require a warning for to eject for UC.

Edited by Jimurray

Taking the description at face value, it's a bad ejection.  But I don't care for the reporting on this story. 

• The reason for the ejection should be well known.  The reporter should find the official reason for the ejection before running the story.  It doesn't seem he talked to anyone except these two very biased people.
  • There is no 12 and under division in the LL tournament.
  • The kid is taking BP with no helmet.  Really?  That's a really strange choice given the context.
  • Saying you got cheated a couple of times is not taking the high road.  It's fighting words.
  • Like 1

Perhaps you missed the "hard to say for sure" part of my post. I'm just giving a possible scenario of what MAY have happened.  I'm glad you're so certain, without being there, that he threw his helmet to the ground and yelled "Whippie!! We won!!!" 

Maybe I'm tarnished by all the little snot nosed, foulmouthed, sense of entitlement 13 year olds I've come across in the last several years to think maybe...just maybe, after having been "cheated" by this umpire "a couple times" during this game, he thew the helmet down and spouted something like "Take that and shove it, Blue"......And please don't tell me the little naive, innocent 13 year old would never do such a thing .. I've seen and heard it way too often.

I have no idea what went down. Just guessing. To call anything an "absolute" from a one sided news story and spotty video is pretty ignorant, IMO.

You wrote: "Hard to say for sure, but it doesn't look like that helmet was tossed up in the air in celebration. It looks more like it was slammed to the ground. Add to that, . ."

Your hard to say refers only to the tossed versus slammed unless English sentence construction rules have changed recently. This is reinforced by writing  "Add to that . . " before you added the other comments, which separated the thoughts.

Neither of us said anything about what any verbal might have been, if any, because there wasn't any verbal noticeable in the clip.

Your second paragraph indicates to me that your frame of mind might lend itself to thinking along negative lines, and you admit via your tarnished intro that it might be. I'm of the opinion after years of participation here that the emotion should be excluded from the decision process.

As for the unknowns, absent any audio and the umpire's statement, any assumption on your part is just as speculative as mine, but absent them it was a completely BS ejection.

Not sure if he said anything, but that isn't a celebration out of anger.  Like to know if he said anything.  I've never seen that type of celebration and somebody talking a lot of trash.  As far as taking batting practice without a helmet it looks like he might be taking bp in his back yard.

Jake Delaney, the player who was ejected, was on a team from Lafayette, California. Their opponent in that game was from Petaluma--the North Bay area of San Francisco Bay. Petaluma has an online news site called "Petaluma 360. com". Here's what they reported about the incident in question:

The victory for Lafayette might have come with a bit of a consequence as a key player was ejected by the Little League crew of umpires for a repeated violation. Play was stopped in the fifth inning and a warning issued for slamming equipment in the dugout. The same player violently threw his batting helmet to the ground at the end of the game, prompting the ejection.

• Like 3

Seems like OOO from where I'm sitting.  However, I use the word "seems" because maybe the umpire has a different story.  What say you all?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Lafayette-Little-League-Player-Ejected-After-Celebrating-Walk-Off-Win-318497851.html#

Might be more to the story since dad and player referenced being "cheated" in the interviews. That doesn't put them in a good light with me:

I see the helmet being thrown after the run scores and per 1.16 a warning should be given before an ejection. But the demeanor of the player and whether the helmet being thrown was a show up of the umpires who "cheated" them might justify a UC ejection right away:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Lafayette-Little-League-Player-Ejected-After-Celebrating-Walk-Off-Win-318497851.html

According to another report, a warning was given.  Apparently, this kid threw his helmet once already in the game, and was given a warning.  Have a funny feeling, the "coach" sent this one into the news team for his own benefit.

Story from the other side.  They specifically call out the incident in the last paragraph of their story

Also, looking at the Section Tournament Page, Petaluma Valley Beat Lafayette two day prior to put Lafayette in the Loser's Bracket.  Talk about a grudge match for the second game.

http://www.petaluma360.com/sports/4245930-181/petaluma-valley-major-league-team

• Like 1

Jake Delaney, the player who was ejected, was on a team from Lafayette, California. Their opponent in that game was from Petaluma--the North Bay area of San Francisco Bay. Petaluma has an online news site called "Petaluma 360. com". Here's what they reported about the incident in question:

The victory for Lafayette might have come with a bit of a consequence as a key player was ejected by the Little League crew of umpires for a repeated violation. Play was stopped in the fifth inning and a warning issued for slamming equipment in the dugout. The same player violently threw his batting helmet to the ground at the end of the game, prompting the ejection.

So I checked this out and found the article you are talking about and then I ventured over to the Petaluma Valley Little League site (the team that Lafayette had to play the next game) and found the following announcement:

"Congratulations to our Petaluma Valley 11/12’s! They beat Lafayette tonight 13-0 to win the Section 1 All Star Championship Tournament. Great team win tonight boys!! Valley moves on to the Northern California Divisional Tournament in Stockton where they will face River Park American from Fresno at 10:00 at Madison Park in Stockton."

So apparently this kid that was ejected is the entire offense and defense.

I don't know anything more than the news story linked, the Petaluma new site article, and the announcement on the winning teams site, but if there is more to the story (which it sounds like there is), then this might have been a good ejection and the upset coach/dad is just angry his kid got called out on his bad behavior.

Edited by dookiexman
misspelled a word

I don't know how anyone can say this is OOO or an uncalled for ejection without knowing what, if anything, was said or done at the time of the final helmet throw. If the kid didn't do anything except slam his helmet in celebration, yea it's probably OOO to me, though if a warning had already been given then I can understand it, even if I don't agree fully with it. But if the kid did anything that even remotely resembled taunting or a "Take that, ump!" or at all directed even a peep at the umpire, then I fully support this ejection. Without knowing that key bit of information, I have no clue.

• Like 5

I watched this video over and over again. It looks like it was the 2nd umpire that came running over to throw this kid out. To me the winning run already scored and what I would have done in that situation is just walk off the field with my partners. I believe this umpire took it a little too far. I wish that this umpire would explain his reasoning for doing this Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

I wish that this umpire would explain his reasoning for doing this

I'll bet he had to explain himself to the powers-that-be (not us peons) ...and they upheld his EJ.
Kid, if that's the worst injustice you ever encounter, you'll have lived a charmed life.