JasonPalo

Hairspray on Shoes

so how much hair spray do you put on your plate/base shoes to make them shiny???????? Learned this trick out in Cooperstown

Edited by JasonPalo

This is not a good plan. Hairspray is mostly alcohol, not something that is recommended for leather. Ever seen an 80's hair spray queen after an all night bender? You do not want to do that to $100+ shoes. 

Polish works wonders... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Murphy's Oil Soap (a tip I learned on these very forums) - works amazing.

Well I used hairspray and my shoes are shiny, looking good

It is OK for a quick shine, but you need to clean it off and clean up/polish the shoes after you use it. The alcohol will dry the leather. The hair stuff will also help your shoes collect dirt.

My plate shoes need to be done after each game basically. I use polish only on them. They are 5 or 6 years old, still look great and no cracks or splits. After a hot day the sweat from shins will take the polish off from the top of the shoes. The sweat along with the clay make them look like cr*p. Clean them with water and a brush - dry - polish - buff - polish - buff = ready for next game.

Hairspray works great. Always put it on in light coats after a very thorough cleaning and polish. Use something like windex of scrubbing bubbles to clean it. Most athletic umpire style shoes these days don't use real leather so you don't run any risk of damage. I have used hairspray for years now and my original reebok plate shoes that I got when I first stated almost 7 years ago still look brand new when I polish them up. Too bad the soles wore out on them and they have zero traction. Can't even use them now, it's like working with bowling shoes on.

Hairspray is a great polisher.  I use cheap ass White Rain from Walmart for a little over a dollar a can.  I have used it for years after I read about it here, probably from KFinnerty or his posse.  It didn't cause any damage to any of my shoes, leather or non-leather.   I have now leather-lustered my Reebok leather high top base shoes and my NB 460 not leather plate shoes.  I have real leather Mizuno plate shoes and real leather Underarmour tactical shoes for bases that I kept "natural" and I hairspray them occasionally and they look great when I do.  As Platejob29 said above, either scrubbing bubbles then water rinse or murphy's oil soap solution in a spray bottle (no rinse) and they look great.

One tip on the hairspray, if you use it.  Make sure you let the spray dry before you walk onto a dirty/dusty field or the dust literally jumps onto the shoes and doesn't let go and it makes them gritty when you try to clean later.

Hairspray is a great polisher.  I use cheap ass White Rain from Walmart for a little over a dollar a can.  I have used it for years after I read about it here, probably from KFinnerty or his posse.  It didn't cause any damage to any of my shoes, leather or non-leather.   I have now leather-lustered my Reebok leather high top base shoes and my NB 460 not leather plate shoes.  I have real leather Mizuno plate shoes and real leather Underarmour tactical shoes for bases that I kept "natural" and I hairspray them occasionally and they look great when I do.  As Platejob29 said above, either scrubbing bubbles then water rinse or murphy's oil soap solution in a spray bottle (no rinse) and they look great.

One tip on the hairspray, if you use it.  Make sure you let the spray dry before you walk onto a dirty/dusty field or the dust literally jumps onto the shoes and doesn't let go and it makes them gritty when you try to clean later.

yes! this! hairspray is not something you do quickly right before a game.  Preferably the day before so you know it's dry

Murphy's Oil then some hairspay.  Good to go!

I use a spray bottle of water most of the time and Murphy's on occasion.  I use the cheapest hairspray I can find (usually Aquanet) and spray it on and let it dry before I leave for the field.  Never had any issues with the hairspray affecting the shoes at all.

I use a spray bottle of water most of the time and Murphy's on occasion.  I use the cheapest hairspray I can find (usually Aquanet) and spray it on and let it dry before I leave for the field.  Never had any issues with the hairspray affecting the shoes at all.

true.

it doesn't affect the shoes because when you clean them again afterwards, ..your water and/or water-murphy's solution dissolves the hairspray.  I too use Aquanet unscented :D

White Rain is over a dollar cheaper than Aquanet at Walmart.  Just sayin'  Hahaha

Armour All (sp?) leather wipes work great after the shoes have had dirt cleaned off them with a brush & water.

• Like 2

I wipe mine down with baby wipes right after a game. Figure if they are gentle enough for a baby's butt, they are gentle enough for the shoes.

I then polish two or three times during the season.

Armour All (sp?) leather wipes work great after the shoes have had dirt cleaned off them with a brush & water.

Worst thing possible, @Mick, worse than even hairspray. Get a different brand – Mother's, Maguires, etc. – but do not give money to Armour-All. Their concoctions actually have additives in them so the item looks sensational... for about fifteen minutes, then dries out and promotes brittleness and cracking with UV exposure. Not a big deal1 in a covered car, but on shoes? Yeahhhhh... no.

I use Jason's ( @MidAmUmp) advice of Saddle Soap on my plate shoes. Brush and water to get the heavy stuff off, then Saddle Soap sprayed on and wiped with a rag... let it dry a bit, then shine with Kiwi (or another similar brand) Insta-Shine.

On the field shoes, I use Instant Cleaner (for shoes specifically, usually found in Dick's, SportMart, Sports Authority, Famous Footwear, etc.) followed by a Waterproofing spray that sheds water and dirt stains (easier).

1- It becomes a big deal in a car when you realize why they do it... So you have to use the wipes more frequently. 

Unless you have hairy shoes why would you use hairspray? :shrug:

Water-water, polish, or some kind of auto leather cleaner if needed. Polish is always best.

Unless you have hairy shoes why would you use hairspray? :shrug:

Water-water, polish, or some kind of auto leather cleaner if needed. Polish is always best.

hair spray is only a quick easy shine solution, ....not intended for use as a "shoe care" regimen ....  I think that was made pretty clear within this and other threads re: shoes....

Thunder, relax, I understand why you might use hairspray. I tried to make a small joke. :jerkit:

Thunder, relax, I understand why you might use hairspray. I tried to make a small joke. :jerkit:

I got the joke ...... and I'm perfectly relaxed ........  I'm just reaffirming that we're not discussing "hairspray" as a permanent shoe cleaning tool (for others who many not know).....

Edited by Thunderheads

Right, to clarify to @jkumpire ... and with respect to @JasonPalo, there are a myriad of hare-brained (or is it hair-brained?) schemes that come out of Cooperstown Dreams Park. A few are brilliant, some are useful, while some are silly, quirky, anecdotal or inane... and the rare one that leaves you scratching your head going, "Whiskey... Tango... Foxtrot???"

The use of hairspray is a short-term solution to give your shoes that shined, polished look in lieu of time and frequency. There's no point in going through this elaborate cleaning-and-polishing routine when the infamous CDP brick-sand will cling to your shoes in a few minutes anyway, and you (might) have another game in a few hours... You just have to survive the plate meeting, where coaches scrutinize how you present yourself, uniform-wise (and they do... they so do).

And of course, at CDP, there are no shortages of opinions on methods and solutions... and equally so, no shortage of guys who will almost force their method upon you ("Here, dude, do it this way."), or that their method is the best thing going. I myself would never use hairspray on my shoes, but I can identify and understand why you would – so as to get that all-important first impression right.

• Like 2