Sign in to follow this  
celt62

First Pro Game

I'm very excited to be doing my first pro game in an independent league tonight.  I've been doing various collegiate leagues all summer and when asked yesterday, I hopped right on it.  I can't wait to work this level tonight.

• Like 10

Congrats!

Can we all live vicariously though you since most of us will not make that level in our avocation?

Keep us updated on your experience. I bet it will be interesting reading.

That's really cool.  How does that happen?  Are you a fill-in for an umpire that was unable to be there?  Do independent leagues use umpires that are recent pro-school grads that were not placed into MiLB?

It was a lower level independent league that is affiliated with the Atlantic League.  They use members from our association as last minute fill ins.  I was told the really good players from this league get bought out and go to the more prominent leagues.  It was definitely different.  I had the bases.  The pay is comparable to most summer collegiate leagues and we didn't have to rub up the balls. LOL.  It was about a four hour drive for me but they provided you with a hotel room free of charge.  Had some jitters at first then I saw it wasn't a whole lot different than the better summer leagues that I've done like the NECBL or the Cape (which is actually better baseball than last night). I did go out to celebrate at the local Buffalo Wild Wings after with my partner,  Only two man crews like A, and AA ball.  I hope that I answered everyone's questions.  Sorry if I missed any.

Edited by celt62

Thanks.  The Eastern League (AA) used to be.  It probably is 3-Man also now.  I'm not sure. Much better coverage with three.  The Cape is the only summer league that I have participated in that is also 3-man.  I'm curious if other collegiate leagues do it during the regular season besides the playoffs.