how is that not a home run?  what's the difference if it hits off of F7's mitt and over the wall?  I don't get it

how is that not a home run?  what's the difference if it hits off of F7's mitt and over the wall?  I don't get it

Ball touches F7's glove can be caught for an out (batted ball in flight).
Ball touches LF wall can not be caught for an out (no longer in flight). Touching the wall is like touching the ground.
A HR has to pass over the fence in flight.

Ball touches F7's glove can be caught for an out (batted ball in flight).Ball touches LF wall can not be caught for an out (no longer a batted ball). Touching the wall is like touching the ground.
A HR has to pass over the fence in flight.

so a ball that hits the top of the wall and goes over isn't a home run?

so a ball that hits the top of the wall and goes over isn't a home run?

Top of the wall is beyond the edge of the playing field. This batted ball was not.

Top of the wall is beyond the edge of the playing field. This batted ball was not.

ahhhh..... regardless, I'm off to the coffee room! :D

In the Reds/Cubs game last night there was a reviewed HR where the ball hit the top of the wall, although it was complicated by potential fan interference.

Fly vs Bounding ball. Hit below the height, so absent a ground rule, it's not a home run (probably causing confusion for Hurdle - there IS a ground rule in Pittsburgh that would have made a play similar to this a home run).

And another reason why Kauffman needs either ground rules or a yellow line, since that add-on railing of theirs above the padding is in play, but has caused confusion and not just last night.

A ball that strikes a fielder is still in flight, by rule. It may, for example, be caught for an out.

A ball that strikes the wall is not. It may not, for example, be caught for an out.

A batted ball that leaves fair territory in flight is a 4 base award. Not in flight, a 2 base award.

This is black-letter rule, not ground rule.

C'mon Jeff, this ain't rocket science!

• Like 1

A ball that strikes a fielder is still in flight, by rule. It may, for example, be caught for an out.

A ball that strikes the wall is not. It may not, for example, be caught for an out.

A batted ball that leaves fair territory in flight is a 4 base award. Not in flight, a 2 base award.

This is black-letter rule, not ground rule.

C'mon Jeff, this ain't rocket science!

didn't I come to my senses an hour ago, or didn't you see that?

I was thinking home run as well.  My thought was a ball that hits the top of the fence and goes over is a home run.  You learn something new every day.  

didn't I come to my senses an hour ago, or didn't you see that?

Didn't see the last hour. Sorry!

Maybe the bit in my post about "may/may not be caught for an out" will be "value added" for some. :)