delta flex harness

dl1340
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3128 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

ump-attire is out of stock, called all-star they are out of stock and not expecting any until end of november. I have one on my gold but thinking about getting an unequal also and would like a delta flex harness on every chest protector I use. How can they be on backorder that long

Cause they are the hottest umpire equipment item of all. Almost every umpire wants one on every chest protector.   I've sold at least a dozen of them by showing my various unenlightened partners. 

ump-attire is out of stock, called all-star they are out of stock and not expecting any until end of november. I have one on my gold but thinking about getting an unequal also and would like a delta flex harness on every chest protector I use. How can they be on backorder that long

Because it's the best CP harness on the market.  Empirical evidence of the Laws of Supply and Demand.

• Like 1

I got mine through All-Star. I understand they are out of stock; however, call (800) 777-3810, ask for Cindy Gionet. Cindy can put you on a "waiting list" to be notified when they get a new batch in.  This is what I did and she emailed me when they had new product in. If you prefer to email here, her email address is: cgionet@all-starsports.com

I'm 6ft 2 and the delta flex is just too short on the top straps with my west vest platinum.  I love the way it hugs the body, but it raises the CP several inches and I've taken 3 shots (one in the liver) just below the CP where the original harness would have saved me those shots.  Simple fix is to extend the top straps using the original straps from the CP.  Any other tall folks experience this issue?

I'm 6ft 2 and the delta flex is just too short on the top straps with my west vest platinum.  I love the way it hugs the body, but it raises the CP several inches and I've taken 3 shots (one in the liver) just below the CP where the original harness would have saved me those shots.  Simple fix is to extend the top straps using the original straps from the CP.  Any other tall folks experience this issue?

I often see partners wearing their CP hanging low. A foul ball to the throat will be an immediate life threatening event.

• Like 1

I'm 6-2 and don't have any issues.  I obviously don't know you, but I'm going to bet that you have been wearing your CP way too low for a long time.  The collarbone/neck area is an area of extreme importance when it comes to CP coverage.  As was stated above, I see a lot of umps that are exposed in this area and it is only a matter of time before they are hit and injured in that area.  No doubt, the DeltaFlex pulls the CP up onto the neck, but that is by design.  It does take some getting used to, but it allows the CP to be worn and stay where it is supposed to to keep you from getting hurt.

• Like 1

two things ....

1) have extensions added to the top straps of the Delta Flex by your seamstress.

2) you can't get hit in the liver, it sits behind your rib cage ;)

• Like 1

two things ....

1) have extensions added to the top straps of the Delta Flex by your seamstress.

2) you can't get hit in the liver, it sits behind your rib cage ;)

His ribs are currently getting retrofitted...should get them back in a couple of weeks.

• Like 3

Here's what I did.

This, of course, is the original configuration:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFaVpZTkVRRVNMNHM/view?usp=sharing

This is how it fit - note the collarbone area:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFclZSUy1JendVSGs/view?usp=sharing

The Deltaflex will not be adjustable up-and-down so this position is critical:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFSG90TU5ST1FzSVk/view?usp=sharing

I used binder clips to hold the Deltaflex in place while getting the proper fit:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFT1RiRmlEQVFuTm8/view?usp=sharing

Point of no return - remove original harness here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFbG85emw3eHI3aWs/view?usp=sharing

I used Gorilla glue to tack the Deltaflex in place:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFM3ZQN1lJZ00yYlU/view?usp=sharing

Swapped the Deltaflex plastic bits for Schutt metal ones. Could be stitched in place, I chose to use a combination of rivets and Gorilla glue to secure the Deltaflex:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFcncwTVFGZXNIRm8/view?usp=sharing

All Done:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFaEI0eWoxc0JWTE0/view?usp=sharing

Here is the fit - again . note the collarbone area:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rCdxqeJiYFY3RERmZaU3VmZ3c/view?usp=sharing

Edited by goldsmi
added links to pictures

Interesting approach, @goldsmi, and I applaud you on your endeavours. Need to point out to others on U-E you have the Schutt AiRFlex II. The brand-new XV is nearly the same, but the harness is different, and would thwart your solution.

I'm planning on going a different route, one that doesn't lock the DeltaFlex to the CP permanently. Just gotta get a DeltaFlex in my hands. ;)

Again, though, I commend your efforts and ingenuity.

His ribs are currently getting retrofitted...should get them back in a couple of weeks.

And, @renegadewolf is Canadian... his liver is probably larger and burlier...

You know... to filter and process the heavier alcohol of Canadian beers and whiskeys.

@goldsmi, you used the existing yoke in your solution – I aim to remove the yoke entirely.

See that stitch-hinge between the yoke and the shoulder arch plates (and the padded vest)? That's where my cut(s) will happen. Then, on the trailing edge of the shoulder arch plates, I'll fasten a D-ring. Slip a strap ladder-loc on each DF strap, then through the D-ring, then back through the ladder-loc. Bobs-your-uncle, done. Fully adjustable and removeable. 

Got it!

You will certainly have to lengthen the upper straps on the Deltaflex.
They just reach the top of the yoke.

why not attach the D-ring to the yoke at about the spot where the edge of the yoke moves from vertical to horizontal?  You won't need to remove the yoke  or extend the delta flex and the lowest piece should lie flat either over or under the delta flex.

@MadMax, I would consider buying some extra football strap and drill out the rivets and attach the new strapping and plastic ring in the same manor and location that Douglas does on their cp's. All you need is a few inches of new material and the plastic ring and you have the ideal setup for the DF. See photo below that I borrowed from Thunderheads:

TWDouglas15.1.jpg

@midtnump, it's like you've read my mind... That's exactly what I'm going to do, considering the Schutt XV (and its AirFlex predecessor) has that unused rivet at the trailing edge of shoulder arch plates. I already have the parts – D-rings, strapping, post-closures (in lieu of rivets) – save one... The ever-elusive DeltaFlex harness itself.

It astounds me, while walking around or chatting with fellow umpires at the local baseball field complexes, how many umpires wear poorly fitted CP's. There's a mixture of softies and hard-shell units, but the majority of the fitting problems – resulting in these guys wearing their CP like a shop apron – has to do with a pathetic harness.

@MadMax, like you have stated in the Schutt thread, I don't understand why Schutt didn't attach two straps at the top of their harness to make it adjustable or replaceable. Wouldn't take that much more to turn it into an even better cp.

It actually would take less, @midtnump... less materials used (they wouldn't need all that stitching and materials that comprise their harness), less use of protective material (there is TPU-EVA foam bricks in Schutt's harness for no reason), better sizing adjustability, and less hassle if something on the harness is damaged and incurs a warranty issue. Less time, too.

You cannot tell me that two D-rings, two ladder-locs, and some 1.5" straps costs more than that fixed harness they designed and had fabricated of their valuable TPU-EVA foam.

Interesting approach, @goldsmi, and I applaud you on your endeavours. Need to point out to others on U-E you have the Schutt AiRFlex II. The brand-new XV is nearly the same, but the harness is different, and would thwart your solution.

I'm planning on going a different route, one that doesn't lock the DeltaFlex to the CP permanently. Just gotta get a DeltaFlex in my hands. ;)

Again, though, I commend your efforts and ingenuity.

And, @renegadewolf is Canadian... his liver is probably larger and burlier...

You know... to filter and process the heavier alcohol of Canadian beers and whiskeys.

And hairier....

Edited by conbo61