To Run HC or Not to Run HC-You Make The Call

LTL509
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3170 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

10yr Tournament.  VT local town traveling AS type team other Team local Baseball Club Team that fields a Team for every age group.  I'm PUVT has 6 mom's in lawn chairs from dugout towards plate and have been on partner and I every call (you know if it's there kid pitching it's a strike but if their up it's a ball).  I ignore.  BU has had a few calls that each teams HC came out for clarification on and a bit of arguing from each teams HC but nothing yielding a warning.  Home team plates 3 runs to tie the game in bottom 6 (last inning for this tourney) and on to extras we go.  Tension was running high.  We are in the top of the 8th one down R1, R2. Ground ball to F6 who steps on the bag and the throw gets by F3.  R2 is now coming home and I move up 3rd base line to get a better view.  F2 catches the ball and swipe tags R2 on a banger that I punch out the runner on a very close call for out #3.  VT HC was coaching first and starts yelling while jogging back across to his dugout "You blew it and you know it Blue."  As he gets to his dugout and I walk up the first base line he does scream at the pack of Mom's that are still screaming at me to "Shut it, I will be the jerk here." And that was it.  HT promptly comes out and BB, SB, Single game over.  So no warnings issued prior to this but he did go the "personal" route I see so many of you talk about on here.  So in that spot, tension high, tourney do you run him? Let it go? Warn?  You make the call.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

IMO, "You blew it" has a different connotation than "you missed it". It sounds more like implying incompetence. I wouldn't EJ for that alone, but I wouldn't put up with it either. If a stern "Knock That OFF" was followed with additional jerk behavior, I'd look to EJ for the other "P" criteria...persistence.

• Like 1

Probably not a toss.  Still sounds like a very tough environment to umpire....esp 10U

​I avoid 10-12 like the plague anymore. I think it's *tougher* to do this age than anything else. They can barely pitch, barely catch, the bases are so short everything's a banger, they do goofy stuff all the time, their knees are often 4 inches above the ground, my knees won't let me crouch down that far, the daddy coaches are insane, the parents/fans haven't been around long enough to get the meatball out, etc. Keep it.

The only saving grace is the Hot Mom Quotient is MUCH higher than high school ball. But that only goes so far. But it's there. Which is nice...

• Like 9

The word "you" is NOT automatically personal. He's allowed to think I missed it ("blew it").

Guys have trouble accepting that coaches will think they're wrong. Let it go. If you think his tone, volume, gestures are disrespectful, then address that ("OK, whether I missed it or not, we're not going to have anyone yelling out here.").

Otherwise, this is nothing. End the conversation before it overheats. Let it go: "OK, let's play ball, coach."

• Like 3

I don't work anything under 13U, and I've had nothing but great experiences with players, parents and coaches, so I can't relate to this context.  However, HS and men's coaches have told me I've blown calls or I was wrong and knew it.  I haven't EJ'd anyone for it and for me, they'd have to make more of an effort to get bounced.

Thanks for all the replies. If I had my way I wouldn't do that age group either. Our scheduler will have me on 14 Gold Gloves one night and 10 rec ball the next. She likes to give everyone "experience" at different levels. Ok it's my first full season back after 10+ year layoff, I will pay some dues.

Scrounge you know why I do 10 year old games, I get older and the Mom's stay the same age.

For those of you Dazed and Confused fans out there.

• Like 5

Also sounds like the coach was keeping his house in order by telling the moms to shut it. 

Question, though: When you say "up the third base line," does it mean that you're moving towards third base? Don't. Stay at the point of plate and move the other way -- by first base, while at third base line extended for a swipe tag. 

• 4 weeks later...