New thoughts on bats

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4689 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Like many of you I've been longing for the strict return to wooden bats. I was discussing this with my new boss who was a college and independent league catcher and he has been following the bat saga for a while.

He is a fan of the new BBCOR bats. He mentioned college guys are just to big and powerful for the traditional aluminum bats and it doesn't give people the true since of a batters ability.

He said that the BBCOR bats were in his mind a much better fiscally sound choice. They have performance more similar to wood, but have the durability of aluminum. He mentioned he much rather pay the $600-$800 at the beginning of the season and get 2 good BBCOR bats than spend the same money on a dozen wood bats.

Makes sense to me.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

son plays in a semi-pro league after 4 years as an NCAA baseball player....the league is strictly all wood bat.....pro quality wood bats are running $125 per..........now we have been able to buys ome in the $85 range, but all in all......its a toss up...the college guys can get one hit or a thousand hits out of a wood bat....all a crap shoot....

last season son was using brand new a pro maple bat....shattered after 3 ab's....

love wood, but the stock of good ash and maple is dwindling.....

son plays in a semi-pro league after 4 years as an NCAA baseball player....the league is strictly all wood bat.....pro quality wood bats are running $125 per..........now we have been able to buys ome in the $85 range, but all in all......its a toss up...the college guys can get one hit or a thousand hits out of a wood bat....all a crap shoot....

last season son was using brand new a pro maple bat....shattered after 3 ab's....

love wood, but the stock of good ash and maple is dwindling.....

did we loose the formula for more trees? ohmy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

did we loose the formula for more trees?

No But...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

The Emerald Ash Borer is threatening the entire White Ash population in the eastern half of the United States. It eats through the wood and makes it useless for furniture, baseball bats, and pretty much anything but firewood.

Jasper

Like many of you I've been longing for the strict return to wooden bats. I was discussing this with my new boss who was a college and independent league catcher and he has been following the bat saga for a while.

He is a fan of the new BBCOR bats. He mentioned college guys are just to big and powerful for the traditional aluminum bats and it doesn't give people the true since of a batters ability.

He said that the BBCOR bats were in his mind a much better fiscally sound choice. They have performance more similar to wood, but have the durability of aluminum. He mentioned he much rather pay the $600-$800 at the beginning of the season and get 2 good BBCOR bats than spend the same money on a dozen wood bats.

Makes sense to me.

The NCAA will be the very last to switch to wood. I fully believe FED would be first. A large part of the teams budget comes from sponsorship dollars associated with the logos on the bats that they use. Switching to wood would remove this revenue stream for the schools.

Makes sense to me.

The NCAA will be the very last to switch to wood. I fully believe FED would be first. A large part of the teams budget comes from sponsorship dollars associated with the logos on the bats that they use. Switching to wood would remove this revenue stream for the schools.

Why can't they do logos on wood?

• 2 months later...

Heck HS in florida can not even afford to have JV and Freshman teams. I am not sure how they are going to afford to buy wood bats. I would love to see it but dont believe it is ever going to happen. Now that the BBCOR bats are so dead there is no need for wood. IMO