Type 1 or Type A Obstruction

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3232 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I thought he ran at the fielder to get the obstruction cal.  On a different angle he looks right at the fielder that ran out of the way and went straight towards him.  Just my opinion.

I think he ran at him too, but it needs to be much more obvious to not call obstruction.

Had a play like this one summer and I ruled out. Once the smoke cleared and the bodies were removed the veteran PU told me "just call it obstruction from now on!"

The runner ran 3 legs of the rundown in foul ground (on the baseline)...then when it was imminent that he was gonna be put out, he goes at the catcher inside.  I think the runner did a good job getting the ump to give him a base award...but that is only because I got to watch it 3 times before seeing it.  I don't have a problem with the call.

Nobody's discussing out of the base path on this?    Before you laugh me out of here, let me ask: could R3 have run to the pitcher's mound if F2 hadn't obstructed been there?

If you say no, then you gotta consider this as out of the base path.

I think this is an incorrect call.

Nobody's discussing out of the base path on this?    Before you laugh me out of here, let me ask: could R3 have run to the pitcher's mound if F2 hadn't obstructed been there?

​He wasn't out of the basepath.

I don't think that F2 did enough to prevent R3 from drawing the obstruction call.

F2 exited the lane after he made this throw, I think he did enough.

No OBS. Even in real time its easy to see the runner caused the contact.  

To me the real tell in these situations is often the last change of direction the runner makes just before he makes contact with the fielder... if after the last throw is made, which causes the runner to change direction, the runner does not look at the fielder who catches that last throw, instead he just keeps his eyes on where the throw just came from, its obvious he's just sizing up the location of the fielder who just made that last throw so he can initiate contact and sell it to look unintentional.  

In real time on the video, at the 0.14 mark the runner would normally be looking in the 3rd base direction after F2 released his throw in a normal rundown, but instead he does not even turn his head in that direction, he keeps his eyes firmly on F2 who no longer has the ball

• Like 1

When R3 is caught dead to rights like this, if he is smart, he's going to try to draw obstruction. The defense can't give an umpire any reason to call that. I know that F2 got hosed, but he should have known that obstruction was R3's only way out, broken away further/harder and avoided any chance of obstruction.

Even after watching it many times, I could make a case for either decision. That umpire was in a no-win situation and I wouldn't fault him for a "that's nothing" call either. And I'm certainly not faulting his real-time call. 

Did anyone notice the "almost initial out call" by U3?  (which is totally understandable) ...but ...we can learn from it .....    

I understand both sides of this, but at the end of the day, I think you've got to get OBS here........

​He was changing directions, and the fielder had yet to initiate a tag attempt. So he cannot possibly be out of the base path.

Did anyone notice the "almost initial out call" by U3?  (which is totally understandable) ...but ...we can learn from it .....    

​He signaled "out" briefly because the runner was tagged off his base with a live ball held securely in the fielder's glove. Then he killed it and enforced the penalty for OBS. Classic mechanics.

• Like 1

​He was changing directions, and the fielder had yet to initiate a tag attempt. So he cannot possibly be out of the base path.

​He signaled "out" briefly because the runner was tagged off his base with a live ball held securely in the fielder's glove. Then he killed it and enforced the penalty for OBS. Classic mechanics.

​that's not a full hammer out call ....it's a half-call  at best.   To me it doesn't look like 2 different calls.  Plus, ...if you determine to have OBS .... he's not out.  Classic or not .... doesn't make sense to me

I think the runner bought a call there by initiating the contact into F2 - but what the heck is F2 doing just standing there in a place where a call could be bought? Looks like he just spaced out and stood there after the last throw.

I'd lean to OBS, just because stupidity like that should have a price! Totally fine with no call, but fine with OBS as well.

Edited by scrounge

​that's not a full hammer out call ....it's a half-call  at best.   To me it doesn't look like 2 different calls.  Plus, ...if you determine to have OBS .... he's not out.  Classic or not .... doesn't make sense to me

​You first make the call on the play -- he's out on the play. Then you enforce the penalty. 

I'm not a fan of that, either, but it's the mechanic. 

​You first make the call on the play -- he's out on the play. Then you enforce the penalty. 

I'm not a fan of that, either, but it's the mechanic. 

​I think Jeff's right: for type A or type 1 (NCAA), the ball is dead on the OBS, so there is no play.

I wasn't paying attention to the non-FED context of this OBS when I posted above. My bad.