Sign in to follow this  
Gfoley4

Don't see this everyday in MLB

That would not explain the no call: a live ball is either a pitched ball, a batted ball, or a thrown ball. Deflection here would not change the status of the ball.

I'd guess the ruling was either (a) the fielder did not deliberately throw his glove (he changed directions suddenly), so the detached equipment provision would not apply, or (b) the glove never contacted the ball.

With a 3 base award, we don't make that call unless we are certain beyond any doubt that the fielder deliberately threw the glove and that it hit the ball.

7.05 Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advance—

(c) Three bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The
ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril;

Before I looked up the rule I was thinking it addressed a batted ball, but it says fair ball. 

If he intentionally threw his glove and hit the ball, it should be a three base award. The deflection is irrelevant.

After watching that video twice, I am "certain beyond any doubt that the fielder deliberately threw the glove and that it hit the ball."   I would have awarded 3 Bases.  

The umpires kicked this one.

After watching that video twice, I am "certain beyond any doubt that the fielder deliberately threw the glove and that it hit the ball."   I would have awarded 3 Bases.  

The umpires kicked this one.

​I disagree. He may just have his glove on quite loose, and the high-speed direction of change could have meant that the momentum simply made it fly off his hand.

I'd like to see a close up of Simmons from beginning to end on that play to know for sure, but from the angles we get on the video, I'm not 100% sure that it was intentional.