lucky to be alive

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3207 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well here goes last Sunday I had three games. First of which was an adult league game in Belmar The next two were used to travel league games in my hometown about 25 minutes away. The first game went a little long and so I did not want to be late for my second game. The route I have to travel was very straightforward as it was only a 20 mile stretch on one highway.Not wanted to be late I was going faster than I should have. With the speed limit around 65 I was probably going a little more than 75. Even though I was going fast someone was going even faster than me as I was cut off and nearly hit. In an effort to avoid being hit I braked hard and because of my speed I fishtailed. I lost control of my car for a few seconds and the next thing I know I crash into a tree off the side of the road at around 60 mph. I was rushed to the hospital and thankfully escaped with relatively minor injuries. I do however have a badly broken nose A deep cut on my nose that required stitching significant facial swelling and deep gashes in my hand the required stitching. All things considered I'm very lucky. Let this be a reminder guys speed kills. Between the speed of my car and the speed of the other car this could've been a lot worse. Often times we are late for things and trying to make up for it (especially as umpires I know you all like me have a lot of pride and like me don't want to be late) but speed is no joke. I'm out of commission for at least a month and probably can't get behind the plate for even longer. But even so I'm glad I was able to walk away from this. 

IMG_2865.JPG

car.PNG

Edited by BRUMP

Glad you are OK.  I have a buddy that drives 80 everywhere he goes and is always ragging on me about always doing the speed limit.  I always remind him that even on a long drive to a game, its only a few extra minutes for me to obey the speed limit.  Thanks for sharing that others might learn from your mistake.

• Like 1

Never even slowed down.

​I have never seen a requirement to be smart or have common sense to have a drivers license - so apparently this dude is in that category. Don't rush getting back at it, make sure you are at 100%.

• Like 1

Wow!  So sorry that happened to you. Hard way to learn to drive slower. 

Your pic reminds me of the old Tony Conigliaro pic when he got beaned in the face back in the day.

Chicks dig scars.......and the long ball. Speedy recovery man. 

image.jpg

Edited by Majordave
  • Like 1

Damn!

At first I thought he was going to say this was the result of a catastrophic mask failure or collision at the plate... had me starting to rethink my favorite hobby.

Here is to a swift and full recovery. 

• Like 1

Your story sounds just like me 2 or 3 times a week. So far I've avoided the crash but I've got to slow down. I wish you a swift and complete recovery. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Car was totaled but thank god for insurance. A little update- my nose was surgically put back together and the fracture has healed and the stitches are out of my hand. No concussion symptoms for around 3 weeks now. I've been doing a few on the bases over the past week or so and I'm scheduled to be behind the dish for the first time on Saturday. It's a big game (winner onto District 19 championship) so hopefully I don't suck too badly. Thanks for the support fam!

• Like 3