Crawford home run stands ...... ???

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3242 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

That's not a home run .......no way that ball is clearing the wall.....    Do you guys see this ball as 'over the wall' w/out this fans glove?  And be honest, ...don't say yes just to support the call.   Again, this isn't about the call on the field ....it's a NY thing....

I think it would have hit the top of the wall and bounced over. Tough to overturn that when the call on the field is HR.

​not even close ...............

if that's NOT called a HOME RUN, are they overturning it??   Hell no!  it's not a home run ...anywhere

Edited by Thunderheads

I don't see enough to overturn the call on the field...and wouldn't overturn if called INT. Call stands either way. But it's a bit of hyperbole to say "not even close". It is.

Edited by scrounge
  • Like 1

I don't see enough to overturn the call on the field...and wouldn't overturn if called INT. Call stands either way. But it's a bit of hyperbole to say "not even close". It is.

​oh my .......... come on you guys, you can not be serious ........

Over the wall? Yes. But over AND in the field of play AND definitively interfering? No, I can't say that, not with that angle. I'm sorry, it's just hyperbole to say this is absolutely, undeniably clear as day.

Over the wall? Yes. But over AND in the field of play AND definitively interfering? No, I can't say that, not with that angle. I'm sorry, it's just hyperbole to say this is absolutely, undeniably clear as day.

​then it wasn't going out then ...right?

I mean please,....tell me ......tell me it's just not me?  I've showed this to 3 coworkers (baseball guys) ..... and all of them were not aware of this play or its outcome.  Then, I sent it to 2 different umpire partners ......also, not aware of the results .....  all concurred ..... that ball does not go out of the park.

Oh well ...........

In my tired state and looking at the  normal video it looked like there were two fans that went for the ball. I can't tell if he caught it on top of the wall or over the field I'm not sure. In the angle that @Thunderheads provided it looks like the one on the right is leaning way over the field and if he caught it would definitely be fan interference but if the one on the left caught it I would call home run because it looks like he's over the wall. @thunderheads don't rip my head off for this. To me it depends on which one caught the ball.  YMMV

Edited by tjwoelfel13
Expansion on thought.

In my tired state and looking at the  normal video it looked like there were two fans that went for the ball. I can't tell if he caught it on top of the wall or over the field I'm not sure. In the angle that @Thunderheads provided it looks like the one on the right is leaning way over the field and if he caught it would definitely be fan interference but if the one on the left caught it I would call home run because it looks like he's over the wall. @thunderheads don't rip my head off for this.

​heck no! @tjwoelfel13 .... that's the most logical thing posted yet! :D:wave: 

With no fans there, that ball is hitting the top of the wall. Where precisely, and what physics are enacted (deflection down or bounce up and over) we will never know.

We'd really need a camera angle that's "on" the wall to tell for sure, but I get the feeling this is a "call made, not enough to overturn" ruling. From the angles in the video, it could go either way, but I think if they'd called it INT, it would have stood as INT. Since the call on the field was a home run, they left it as a home run for lack of conclusive evidence to the contrary.