Illinois vs Wright St - Play at the plate and EJ of HC

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3220 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Awkward play.  No obstruction by F2 - he was in the act of fielding the throw.  Seemed like the runner was going to slide and then decided not to.  I can see both sides of MC on this, without knowing what the NCAA considers to be MC.  Right at the end, it seems like the runner throws a shoulder which may tip the scales to MC in my mind.

Unfortunate tangle between PU and the other runner.  Slide the bat out of there and clear the area so you have room to adjust.  No need to grab the bat and hand it to the runner.

Awkward play.  No obstruction by F2 - he was in the act of fielding the throw.  Seemed like the runner was going to slide and then decided not to.  I can see both sides of MC on this, without knowing what the NCAA considers to be MC.  Right at the end, it seems like the runner throws a shoulder which may tip the scales to MC in my mind.

Unfortunate tangle between PU and the other runner.  Slide the bat out of there and clear the area so you have room to adjust.  No need to grab the bat and hand it to the runner.

​NCAA - the runner should have been ejected for MC.....look at the end when he extends his forearm & literally crashed into the catcher who clearly has possession of the ball. The bat was not the issue but the runner was & the runner was the reason the PU tripped & fell hence the distraction of seeing the MC.

​NCAA - the runner should have been ejected for MC.....look at the end when he extends his forearm & literally crashed into the catcher who clearly has possession of the ball. The bat was not the issue but the runner was & the runner was the reason the PU tripped & fell hence the distraction of seeing the MC.

My point about the bat was that PU had picked it up and was handing it to the runner when he realized that a play was materializing. If he had slid the bat out of the way earlier and told the runner to move, then he wouldn't have gotten tangled up with him. 

Seems like a pretty straightforward violation of the collision rule, NCAA 8-7-2 & 3.

(2) The runner may not attempt to dislodge the ball from the fielder. Contact above the waist shall be judged by the umpire as an attempt by the runner to dislodge the ball.

PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious before the runner touches the plate, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

(3) The runner must attempt to avoid a collision if he can reach the base without colliding.

PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious after the runner touches the base (plate), the runner is safe, but is ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. If this occurs at any base other than home, the offending team may replace the runner.

• Like 1

My point about the bat was that PU had picked it up and was handing it to the runner when he realized that a play was materializing. If he had slid the bat out of the way earlier and told the runner to move, then he wouldn't have gotten tangled up with him. 

​Agree with just tossing the bat, but just telling the runner to "Move" doesnt always work as some teams have that runner direct the trailing where to slide. Just telling the runner to "Move" doesnt mean he still wouldnt have gotten tangled up with the other runner.

Seems like a pretty straightforward violation of the collision rule, NCAA 8-7-2 & 3.

(2) The runner may not attempt to dislodge the ball from the fielder. Contact above the waist shall be judged by the umpire as an attempt by the runner to dislodge the ball.

PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious before the runner touches the plate, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

(3) The runner must attempt to avoid a collision if he can reach the base without colliding.

PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious after the runner touches the base (plate), the runner is safe, but is ejected from the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. If this occurs at any base other than home, the offending team may replace the runner.

​Ummmm isnt that what I stated without quoting the rule book?

​Agree with just tossing the bat, but just telling the runner to "Move" doesnt always work as some teams have that runner direct the trailing where to slide. Just telling the runner to "Move" doesnt mean he still wouldnt have gotten tangled up with the other runner.

Agreed, no guarantee, but it probably would have been more effective than handing him the bat. :)

If the bat was behind the plate, it would be of no interest to me with a tight play coming. With an easy score by the second runner as the announcers were postulating, I might hand the bat to the scored runner. SURPRISE. That bat was not in a NAP position.
Put that in my lesson learned file.

I'm still so old school, but it strikes me that being in the catcher's hip pocket (correct me if I'm wrong) would place me at the point of the plate for this one.

In fact if I were 1st base extended I would have seen MC; not sure about 3rd base failing on one knee lets you see the forearm.

​Ummmm isnt that what I stated without quoting the rule book?

​I prefer the quoting of the rule in an answer.  Anyone can say anything is the rule without support.  Posting the rule with your answer takes away all doubt.

• Like 2

I don't do college but I'll advocate against MC based on the catcher's positioning. F2 is actually a pretty good distance up the third base line when the ball arrives and is moving farther up the line when they collide. Had this happened closer to the plate the runner would have had the space to conduct a regular slide into home so as to mitigate the collision. Like Grayhawk said, it looked like he was going to slide and then decided not to - maybe because F2 was so far up the line the runner wasn't able to start his slide from where he normally would and once he realized the collision was inevitable he pulled his arms up and in a defensive reaction. Also, F2 was pretty low to the ground - having one and perhaps both knee(s) down - so I might give a little leeway regarding contact above the waist as well. 

It does seem like the PU was casually handing the bat off thinking the play was over and ended up getting caught flat-footed when the runner came home (we've all been there and it's not a good feeling even when you do get the call right as I think he did).

Looked like runner was trying to slide, but F2 came up to meet him. Runner's knee dug into the dirt and stopped the lower body...upper body just obeyed Newtonian physics and toppled into F2. The collision was not that of a runner hitting F2 full speed and was not malicious...that's how baseball go. 

And I hope the HC gets a nice suspension for his "banter" with the spectators as he was leaving.

It wasn't spectators. It was the representatives of NCAA there to administer the regional, as I was told from one of the individuals running the regional.  So I'm sure that suspension will be appropriate.