No more Reeboks. Low cut plate shoe?

Hawkman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3196 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've wanted to switch over to low cut plate shoes for some time now, but since my NB shoes still had some life in them I didn't want to spend the cash. Well at the end of this season they will have 7 HS seasons on them and are not only getting worn on the soles but are now heavy as heck from 7 seasons of sweat. Unfortunately now that I am ready to buy a new pair Reebok is no longer making plate shoes and nobody has a pair left on clearance in my size. The only other options I've seen are the 3N2, which has really crappy reviews for quality, or a Pentagon which is only in a patent leather finish. Eight years in the military taught me I don't want to stand out in the hot sun with patent leather shoes on plus I just don't like the look. Has anyone heard if someone else (NB, Nike, anybody) is going to come out with a low cut plate shoe in the future? I don't want to shell out the money on another pair of NB I really don't want if something in a low cut is coming along in the near future.

I've looked on Amazon, haven't seen a size 12. Spent about an hour looking online a few days ago. Kept looking tonight and finally found a pair at Triple Play Sports for $89.00 and free shipping. They aren't the all black that I wanted but I'll take the white and black at this point. I probably looked at about 30 different sites before I found them in stock at Triple Play. Looking forward to getting them, my NB feel like a couple of cement blocks on my feet at this point.

I love my Low Cut Reebok's. I don't know what my next move is but I sure want another pair of these Reebok's. Mine are wearing out. I figure I can get 2-3 more seasons but don't want to wait for the end.

I use the 3n2 and they are fine to me.  However, they are the only plate shoes I have ever worn..

​I had a pair of these bought on closeout from a local team sports supply store.  Loved then & their extremely lightweight until I took a direct hit on toe box from a foul ball in a men's league game & lost toenail & had a fractured toe that wasn't much fun.  Couldn't give them away fast enough & personally I wouldn't wear them ever again unless it was an 11U or younger game.

They are a bit pricey but the mizuno plate shoes are simply awesome. Light. Padded. Protective. Comfortable. Easy to get on. No laces-Velcro. 

Been hit twice in left toe and once in right. Stepped on by catchers. No pain. Nothing. Just pressure. I like to think I'm pretty quick anyway but these are like track shoes. AND they are real leather. Well worth the money. If you can find them and find your size. 

They are a bit pricey but the mizuno plate shoes are simply awesome. Light. Padded. Protective. Comfortable. Easy to get on. No laces-Velcro. 

Been hit twice in left toe and once in right. Stepped on by catchers. No pain. Nothing. Just pressure. I like to think I'm pretty quick anyway but these are like track shoes. AND they are real leather. Well worth the money. If you can find them and find your size. 

​Easy to get on, yes! That's my major complaint with the NB they are a pain in the rear to get on and laced up. Plus the low cut shoe is a little cooler. Triple Play Sports shipped my new Reeboks out today so hopefully this weeks games will be the last ones I have to work in my NB plate shoes.

Could you please provide me the website?

​Easy to get on, yes! That's my major complaint with the NB they are a pain in the rear to get on and laced up. Plus the low cut shoe is a little cooler. Triple Play Sports shipped my new Reeboks out today so hopefully this weeks games will be the last ones I have to work in my NB plate shoes.   

So my new Reebok plate shoes came last week and I've been able to wear them for 3 games. Wow, what a difference vs the NB. First time I had to hustle down the line to third I felt like I had little springs in my shoes. Extremely light and comfortable; of course my NB were so old there just wasn't any cushioning left and they were also heavier from years of sweat. But these Reeboks beat even a new pair of NB hands down and oh yeah; they're really easy to get on and off!  It's a shame they won't be making them anymore, it's a great plate shoe.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, ....for those who bought these Zig plates ....... I understand they're narrow, but .... compared to the original magistrates, did you go up a 1/2 size due to the width, or lack thereof?

​I just threw away my old Magistrates, so I can't tell you for sure, but I believe I did.