Gfoley4

Did he touch home plate?

... how did they have enough to overturn? And kinda embarrassing that it took that long just for an appeal, then the review.

Edited by Thunderheads

The video is a play at 1B. Is that what you want to discuss?

You're aware that replay has additional camera angles, right?

The replay starting at 5:30 looks pretty definitive.

What an insanely close call. If you check the zoomed-in slow-mo just before the 5' mark in the video, you can see that the dirt pattern on the corner of the plate changes as his foot crosses it. To me, that says he touched it. But damn, that's not something you'd see without the replay.

What an insanely close call. If you check the zoomed-in slow-mo just before the 5' mark in the video, you can see that the dirt pattern on the corner of the plate changes as his foot crosses it. To me, that says he touched it. But damn, that's not something you'd see without the replay.

​I was looking for this too in the replays, figuring if a spiked heel hits the plate, it's gonna leave dirt. However, who's to say the heel never hit the plate and the dirt we see on the plate was "pushed" when the toe hit beyond the plate? :shrug:

I couldn't watch the whole thing at work. So am I getting this right?

• Initial play HR
  • Appeal  - Batter missed HP & out
  • Replay - Call overturned

It was insanely close and PU seemed to be staring right at it. So if he called it as missed on the appeal I'd have a hard time conclusively saying he'a wrong.

• Like 2

My only question is why did this require a conference with the entire crew?  Was Bochy asking for a replay review without appealing?  Was he asking if an appeal would cancel his right to a replay review?

This is sort of the same thing that they did last year between the royals and tigers, except it was an appeal at 3rd for failing to retouch rather than missing home after a homerun.

The tigers appealed, then ausmus asked U3 about the tag. The crew then gets together. Ausmus then says he wants to have it reviewed. U3 and HP go to review it. After the review, the crew gets back together again. They break and rule R3 out.

Edited by Thunderheads

here's something to ponder ..........

Granted, in the video ... at the 5:30 mark it DOES look definitive.  Ok fine.  However, .... PU is RIGHT THERE staring at the plate with nothing to look at except the touch.  The Giants appealed, and he banged him out.   So, .... what did,or didn't he see?

here's something to ponder ..........

Granted, in the video ... at the 5:30 mark it DOES look definitive.  Ok fine.  However, .... PU is RIGHT THERE staring at the plate with nothing to look at except the touch.  The Giants appealed, and he banged him out.   So, .... what did,or didn't he see?

​He saw the same thing the Giants did: the runner do a little bunny hop at the plate.

He didn't see a missed base, he inferred one.

I don't like this overturn. I don't like them using replay review on missed bases at all honestly.

I couldn't watch the whole thing at work. So am I getting this right?

• Initial play HR
  • Appeal  - Batter missed HP & out
  • Replay - Call overturned

It was insanely close and PU seemed to be staring right at it. So if he called it as missed on the appeal I'd have a hard time conclusively saying he'a wrong.

​New York must have felt "For the spirit of the game" like Bowie Kuhn did in the pine tar incident involving George Brett. 

I don't like this overturn. I don't like them using replay review on missed bases at all honestly.

​Interesting.  How do you see missed bases differently from other plays that are reviewable?

​He saw the same thing the Giants did: the runner do a little bunny hop at the plate.

He didn't see a missed base, he inferred one.

You're going to bang an out on appeal by inferring?? Nawwww

​Interesting.  How do you see missed bases differently from other plays that are reviewable?

​I don't know. Just the whole appeal and then review thing is clunky.

​I don't know. Just the whole appeal and then review thing is clunky.

​Well that sort of makes sense to me, since there does have to be a call under review, and without making a call, you can't just review something.

It's up to the defense to spot that he may or may not have touched the base.