Oversliding the Base...ummmmm Plate!

Doing a varsity game last night and I have the plate.  I have a play at the plate with the runner sliding and the catcher putting on a tag...too late.  I'm a little curious, as I call the runner safe, that the catcher seems to keep the tag on the player who scored.  The momentum of the slide carries the player past the plate and the catcher continues to keep the glove on the player.  When they both come to rest the catcher still keeps the tag on and looks up at me again.  With the glove still on the player he begins to point to where there is now an obvious space between the plate and the player. "He's not on the base!' he says.

I couldn't even answer!  I just started laughing!  Apparently he didn't get it!

• Like 6
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doing a varsity game last night and I have the plate.  I have a play at the plate with the runner sliding and the catcher putting on a tag...too late.  I'm a little curious, as I call the runner safe,

Batter hits a pitch that bounced in the dirt for a single, DHC comes out.." Don't you know that when a pitch hits the dirt its a dead ball, learn the rules, blue"...I couldn't stop laughing.

"True! But he's no longer a runner, so it's all good!"

Doing a varsity game last night and I have the plate.  I have a play at the plate with the runner sliding and the catcher putting on a tag...too late.  I'm a little curious, as I call the runner safe, that the catcher seems to keep the tag on the player who scored.  The momentum of the slide carries the player past the plate and the catcher continues to keep the glove on the player.  When they both come to rest the catcher still keeps the tag on and looks up at me again.  With the glove still on the player he begins to point to where there is now an obvious space between the plate and the player. "He's not on the base!' he says.

I couldn't even answer!  I just started laughing!  Apparently he didn't get it!

​First day as F2? Maybe he is normally an F4,5,6? I would expect that in a 10u but not HS any level. 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a coach tell me that any batted ball that hits the plate first before going into fair territory is a foul ball, his runner stopped running as I'm pointing fair and made an easy out at 1B.  Coach asked me if it hit the plate, "yes it did", "I thought that was a foul ball", "nope, plate's in fair territory", "Hmmm.... learn something new every day".  I just had to chuckle after he said that considering he was coaching HS age kids.

• Like 1