How not to be an umpire

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this the other day and called my wife in to see it. She said you guys take this too seriously. I told her if we didn't we would all look and sound like this guy. I am so glad that there are guys out there like yourselves who do it right. It is a shame that some new guy will see this and think this is the way to do it. I so hope he was just joking with his " instructions". As a former player, coach and now umpire I applaud you guys who do take it seriously.

He's just a local umpire, who's never had any exposure to proper umpiring. Just picked up his trade on the street. Hey, that probably works in the neighborhood he umpires in. No big deal, and he's probably a funny guy.

Now what possessed him to make these videos is beyond me.

I will forward them to my Junior umpires for a laugh. I'll probably use it as homework to spot all the wrong things he does.

He only refers to umpire as outfielders just once but its still funny.

As for the main group of videos. Man, nothing against Bostonians and all but damn it, cant we get someone without the uber thing accent? It was like nails on a chalk board! I couldnt even watch the first video cause of it. I tried another but couldnt make it through that one. And I so want to see them!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In reference to the first video: That video made me laugh my head off. You do not have to go over sliding at the plate meeting.

In reference to the second video: I think that all umpire know that if a ball hits the chalk line in flight then the ball is fair.

In reference to the third video: What kind of ejection call is that? Any ejection call that makes the manager back up is way too much.

I will watch the other videos later and comment on thsoe when I watch them.

In reference to the first video: That video made me laugh my head off. You do not have to go over sliding at the plate meeting.

In reference to the second video: I think that all umpire know that if a ball hits the chalk line in flight then the ball is fair.

In reference to the third video: What kind of ejection call is that? Any ejection call that makes the manager back up is way too much.

I will watch the other videos later and comment on thsoe when I watch them.

Nolan, you do realize that commenting on these idiotic videos means that you're likely taking them way too seriously... :nod:

Please... for the love of humanity - DON'T.

Exactly. Please, stop uprooting a thread that should have died on its first day. :Horse::FIRE::nod:

Want to know what makes it worse? I forgot about this thread until now... however, for some reason or another, my HS unit used one of these videos as a teaching tool... and it scared the hell out of me so much that I decided to move!:FIRE:

Well, that wasnt the exact reason, but its a good one none the less.