What CP would you go with, and why?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3260 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello all, hope your all having a great season.

So, I have been using the under-protective iX3 for the last couple years. I know it was undersized, but mostly I was doing fastpitch and JV BB. I'm now doing Var BB and will be doing some summer college games this year - and after taking two very hard shots recently, it's time to get something harder to wear for BB games.

So, I was very interested in the Schutt XV - but unfortunately I didn't jump on it earlier int he year and its sold out everywhere. Below are the CP's I'm now considering - so any advice, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. For me personally, I like a low-profile CP. At 6'3" 250lbs, I already take up enough space - but know I need a hard shell to disperse the energy of those 85-90+ mph shots I will likely take. 

1) +POS Zero Gravity

2) Douglas Hardshell

3) All-Star System 7

4) Wilson WV Gold

Thanks in advance!!

You can't go wrong with any of those.  There are so many previous threads about them, search around on this site and you'll read more opinions than you can count.  The bottom line is that they're all quality items and the one you choose comes down to personal preference.

@Just-Call-It, Since you are 6'-3", I am going to assume you would want  a long cp, 15" or so. My Ranking would be:

1. Douglas, it comes in a 15", low profile

1A. All-Star System 7, comes in a 15", low profile, but stands a little tall on the shoulders

2. Wilson, longest length is only 12"  not low profile

3. Plus POS, Comes in a 15" not low profile

First 3 are ALL a proven time tested top of the line CPs and there are literally hundreds of threads on here to back it. The Plus Pos is new and only a few on here have tried it.

I would also add The Unequal CP as a 1B to your list., Very low profile and the most adjustable fit CP you  can buy. There are pages of discussion about the protection level of the Unequal. Happy Reading!

@just-call-it, if your from Nor Cal, check out west coast sporting goods in San Leandro, just got a Douglas for 100.00 and the last time i was there they had a few Schutts.

if your are not familiar with them, they are a brick and mortar store that does a ton of baseball but nothing online at all. they don't even have a web site.

@just-call-it, if your from Nor Cal, check out west coast sporting goods in San Leandro, just got a Douglas for 100.00 and the last time i was there they had a few Schutts.

if your are not familiar with them, they are a brick and mortar store that does a ton of baseball but nothing online at all. they don't even have a web site.

​Thats fantastic! Going to give them a shout tomorrow. I am up near Sactown... but have family near there. 

Also - @ everyone else, thanks for the comments. I did read through a dozen or so threads and saw good info on all that I listed, just wasn't seeing any direct correlation between what was best case for hard shell & low profile which @midtnump answered perfectly + the bonus info on height. I am familiar with the UnEqual, and looked at it a number of times, but had been leaning towards the Douglas since the Schutt was unavailable. 

Anyhow, thanks again all... hope your playoff games are enjoyable!

I would go with a West Vest Gold with an All Star Harness and eventually retro fit it to a Team Wendy for a low profile. In the end all of your choices will work and come down to personal choice.

• Like 1

@Just-Call-It, personally of those four options I'd go with the System 7. I have a WVG right now and while it does its job admirably in the protection department, I just don't ever feel comfortable in it, which is why I put it up for sale/trade for a System 7 or Schutt XV.

I really like the look of the Schutt XV as well, though it's basically been out of stock since it arrived at UA. It is supposedly a good fit for taller people like yourself as it's got a removable extension that gives you an extra 4" of height, if you need it. I tend to run really warm when I'm behind the plate, and from what I've read the XV helps keep you fantastically cool.

I do baseball anywhere from 12 year olds up to 21 year olds at varying skill levels, and I think any of the ones I just listed would be fine protection-wise. Unfortunately I'm in Canada so I don't have the luxury of being able to try on a whole bunch before deciding, but such is life.

Survey says --> "Search"

​That'd be easier if the search worked at the moment ;) For me, no matter what I search for, I get precisely zero results.

@Just-Call-It, personally of those four options I'd go with the System 7. I have a WVG right now and while it does its job admirably in the protection department, I just don't ever feel comfortable in it, which is why I put it up for sale/trade for a System 7 or Schutt XV.

I really like the look of the Schutt XV as well, though it's basically been out of stock since it arrived at UA. It is supposedly a good fit for taller people like yourself as it's got a removable extension that gives you an extra 4" of height, if you need it. I tend to run really warm when I'm behind the plate, and from what I've read the XV helps keep you fantastically cool.

I do baseball anywhere from 12 year olds up to 21 year olds at varying skill levels, and I think any of the ones I just listed would be fine protection-wise. Unfortunately I'm in Canada so I don't have the luxury of being able to try on a whole bunch before deciding, but such is life.

​That'd be easier if the search worked at the moment ;) For me, no matter what I search for, I get precisely zero results.

If that is the case I apologize. I thought it was all fixed 

Obviously personal preference plays a role. 

Used a WV Gold for first two years I umpired. Protects fine, but I felt like a football player with the way it sits on the shoulders. Doing all the mods people here talk about might help this.

Bought a Douglas (and DF harness) this winter and have loved it so far. Low profile the top curves to fit on shoulders rather than sticking out. This one just "fits" me better.

But the Gold is fine...I have it in my trunk in case something goes wrong with the Douglas.