How much rope?

JHSump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3198 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HS varsity game last night. I had the plate. It was lopsided from the start. VT scored 6 runs in the top of the first. They kept hitting or putting the ball in play. HT scored zero in the bottom (three up, three down).

In the top of the second, HT pitcher is clearly frustrated (more runners, more runs). After I call a pitch a ball, he motions his F2 to come out and meets him halfway, then starts jawing at me, "How can you call outside pitches when you are inside like that?" (Must have been referring to my being in the slot.) F2 starts wrestling with F1 holding him back (I think this was not all that necessary --- F1 was not coming at me.) HTHC immediately calls time, which I grant, and he removes his F1 from the game. F2 apologies to me when he gets back to the plate; HTHC apologizes between innings --- and says I should have tossed F1. Frankly, it all happened so fast, I was still taking in the spectacle of it all before the coach asked for time. From the question to my calling time may have taken all of 5 seconds. Perhaps interesting info: I don't regret not tossing him, and I think the coach was spot on reacting immediately and removing his F1.

My questions to you: Should I have tossed him? I would have had to pull the trigger almost immediately after the "question" from F1, or upon the start of the "F2/F1 wrestling match." And, under such circumstances or similar circumstances how much rope do you give a HS player?

Not a peep was heard the rest of the game. Final score 15-2 on mercy rule. Coaches from HT shook my hand as my partner and I were trying to exit the field.

I think you handled this situation right.  He was frustrated, F2 and his coach knew they needed to intervene...and they did.  I would have done the same thing.  If F1 would have carried on and said a lot more than what you quoted, I may have had a different outcome.  But, as it appears, you did the right thing.

• Like 1

If I see the coach and F2 jump on it, I'm ignoring it and cleaning the plate.

Coach is obviously aware that the player has issues, but he shouldn't expect umpires to parent his problem children.

​this is my philosophy exactly...when I see a coach hop in a tend to business, I let him.....I have a ball game to umpire and a coach who wants the focus back on it....... win/win......

Good job by all - F2 and coach did the right thing. They know this kid better than you do, and noticed he reached 'that point'. You let them take care of the problem, problem solved.

I don't see an immediate ejection based on the OP, even if the coach/catcher don't step in - I would warn first.

My guess is, he was new to pitching, since he questioned you being "inside" while you were in the slot (not to mention that he mouthed off).  Regardless, the coach recognized his inexperience was going to be trouble, and he did the right thing.  I really appreciate good coaches.

• 3 weeks later...

You gave him enough rope to hang himself (and he was on his way to doing so), but coach did his job, stayed the execution, and cut the rope off. Wish we had more coaches like that, discounting his comment you should of EJed. And I wonder why he would want that with playoffs coming up and mandetory suspensions.

• 1 month later...

Finally, a Manager that takes responsibility for his players action.

That's an unfair statement. We just don't see it enough.

Thanks to all the Responsible Managers!