VAUmp

Parent in Stands...

I had the plate tonight, 3A, JV Game.  Good game, VT won 4-1, 7 full innings in an hour and 30 minutes.

I did have a situation.  It only happened a few times, but it got me thinking.

I had a mommy up in the stands letting the batters of the home team know where the catcher was setting up.  VT pitcher was good, he was really hitting his spots.  She would say "he's inside" or "the catcher's lined up outside"  It only happened two or three times throughout the game, but it got me thinking. 

Is this against any rule?  Could I put a stop to something like this? 

• Like 1

I had the plate tonight, 3A, JV Game.  Good game, VT won 4-1, 7 full innings in an hour and 30 minutes.

I had a mommy up in the stands letting the batters of the home team know where the catcher was setting up.  VT pitcher was good, he was really hitting his spots.  She would say "he's inside" or "the catcher's lined up outside"  It only happened two or three times throughout the game, but it got me thinking. 

​Was she hot?

Seriously, though....who friggin' cares? What business is it of yours if a spectator gives information on plainly seen positioning? I don't even understand the impulse to get involved on this one.

​Use your authority to solve a problem, not to create one.  There's nothing for you to do here.

You're most likely not going to find any supporters of what you're asking here. And I'm certanitly not one either. 

Why on God's green infield would you even want to consider getting involved in that? She wasn't doing anything wrong, and simply giving 'information' that could be seen by anyone at the park. 

Move along, and don't over think something like this...There is nothing for you to do here.

• Like 1

You don't want to open Pandora's box on that one.  The batter can get an idea of where the catcher is set up by just listening to him move.

Don't talk to the fence.

​or listen to the fence

• Like 2

I did however have a manager last night decide to sit an inning out in the stands right behind homeplate and start coaching his players.  He wasn't necessarily hounding my strike zone, but he was out there to coach.  I did turn around and "talk to the fence" and told him either he was a spectator, or a manager and he wouldn't like the view if he chose to be a spectator.  He got the point and returned to the dugout.

... unless you're a jewel thief.​

​Quibbler.

I did however have a manager last night decide to sit an inning out in the stands right behind homeplate and start coaching his players.  He wasn't necessarily hounding my strike zone, but he was out there to coach.  I did turn around and "talk to the fence" and told him either he was a spectator, or a manager and he wouldn't like the view if he chose to be a spectator.  He got the point and returned to the dugout.

​I would not call this talking to the fence (which is about fans). Rather, you were talking to the coach, who happened to be on the wrong side of the fence.

​or listen to the fence

​What if the fence is 5'7"-ish, well structured, and is batting its eyes at you?

​What if the fence is 5'7"-ish, well structured, and is batting its eyes at you?

​Then you either need to get off that "medication" or go all-in on it, but you're probably not of sound enough mind to be umpiring.

• Like 1

​I would not have let the coach return to the game.  They voluntarily EJ themselves but I'll still take the credit for it, need to up my EJ totals.  They can leave for a call of nature and that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

There is no rule that says that the dugout can't relay the information or that the batter can't turn around and look for himself. You would essentially be enforcing an unwritten rule. Unwritten rules, in our world, don't exist.