Catcher hits batter in the gut with throw to 3rd

1smartdude
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3269 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

In the much watched video of the Minor League catcher drilling the batter in the gut with a throw to third, I have a "friend" who has umpired for 10 years and he INSIST this play was batter interference.  I tried to direct him to this site to read the discussion about whether or not the catcher should have been tossed, but his reply was "I know the rules, I don't need to go to some website".  Is there some rule he is reading everyone else is not?

22 answers to this question

In the much watched video of the Minor League catcher drilling the batter in the gut with a throw to third, I have a "friend" who has umpired for 10 years and he INSIST this play was batter interference.  I tried to direct him to this site to read the discussion about whether or not the catcher should have been tossed, but his reply was "I know the rules, I don't need to go to some website".  Is there some rule he is reading everyone else is not?

​Try this on him:

So any time any runner is stealing all the catcher has to do is hit the batter with the ball and the batter will be out and the runner will return?

• Like 3

This is where his at rule isn't.

6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when—

(c) He interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher’s play at home base.
EXCEPTION: Batter is not out if any runner attempting to advance is put out, or if runner trying to score is called out for batter’s interference.

Edited by basejester
  • Like 1

​1smartdude, we must be polar opposites. Your friend must have 1 year of experience 10 times over with an unwillingness to learn. I would bet any official with 2 years of true learning under his belt can see this is not BI. 1

• Like 1

Iron sharpens iron.  So he's been doing this for ten years?  Does he not think that he could get any better?  In no way, shape, form or fashion did the batter in the video commit a batter interference

​thanks!  I appreciate your reply.

​1smartdude, we must be polar opposites. Your friend must have 1 year of experience 10 times over with an unwillingness to learn. I would bet any official with 2 years of true learning under his belt can see this is not BI. 1

​I envy you if you're my opposite.  Thank you for the reply. 

​Does he have 10 years experience, or has he umpired his first year 10 times?

• Like 1

Guest Eastside Coach

In a similar vein. I've coached against a team that seems to have a set play. With a runner on second and a right handed batter they steal third and have the batter make a half-hearted swing and then take a small back and toward third (as if looking to the coach for a sign). It's not a huge or readily apparent thing unless being observed a few times. The thing is most young catchers will simply stop and not make the throw and not make any contact. Is it interference? I've asked three umps during games and gotten:  

No. Not interference as in the umps judgment it's not actively interfering

Can't call into unless there is contact or a throw

and a ..I hadn't notice it coach. I'll be looking for it. 

In a similar vein. I've coached against a team that seems to have a set play. With a runner on second and a right handed batter they steal third and have the batter make a half-hearted swing and then take a small back and toward third (as if looking to the coach for a sign). It's not a huge or readily apparent thing unless being observed a few times. The thing is most young catchers will simply stop and not make the throw and not make any contact. Is it interference? I've asked three umps during games and gotten:  

No. Not interference as in the umps judgment it's not actively interfering

Can't call into unless there is contact or a throw

and a ..I hadn't notice it coach. I'll be looking for it. 

I don't need a throw to get Interference,  but I would like an attempt to throw.

• Like 2

Our 12u team had a runner attempting to steal 3rd called out for BI recently because the batter stepped out to get out of the way, which actually put him in the catcher's way.  The umpire made the correct call to call the runner out.  I have used the video being discussed as an example of what our batters should do when our runners attempt to steal 3rd. Getting called out plus this video makes for a good learning experience.

• Like 1

Actually --- and this will make an even bigger impression on your 12U players --- the correct call in your case is to call the batter out and send the runner back. So, the batter pays a heavy price.

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarification.  While the interference call was correct, it looks like we might have been better off if the penalty had been enforced correctly.  We were not prepared to ask the umpire about the appropriate penalty and accepted his call as is.  Another lesson learned (hopefully).

​Try this on him:

So any time any runner is stealing all the catcher has to do is hit the batter with the ball and the batter will be out and the runner will return?

​exactly!  I think that would revolutionize the game. 

Now we know why catchers do stuff like this. They get uninformed umpires to make the calls. 

​according to him, he knows a lot more than you guys, hahaha, I still cannot believe anyone could see batter interference on this play. But there's always one I guess.