Making the jump

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3275 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Cleveland Coach

I was just wondering how many of the umpires here were more "mature" when they decided to become umpires. I'm seriously considering ending the coaching career and going about the work of becoming an umpire at the age of 49.  Love the game, love the kids and think I can do the job and help give the local leagues a dedicated worker who wants to make the baseball experience the best it can be for youngsters. 

19 answers to this question

I am 47 and just starting this gig. Having a blast. Doing Little League now hope to work up to High School in the next year or so. Jump in and have fun. 

Made the jump myself this year. Still finishing out my high school coaching responsibilities for this season, but am starting my travel softball umpiring adventure tomorrow.

Six games tomorrow. Twelve next weekend. 

By the way, I am in the Cleveland area (Lake County). There is plenty of work available around here between high school, travel tournaments and rec leagues. Good luck to you if you do make the choice!

I am 40 and this is my third full season of calling ball.  Nobody says you have to be 16 to start umpiring.  Just have a willingness to learn and realize that what you thought were the rules all those years, may not be.

@Cleveland Coach ....  GO FOR IT..... Jump in and learn the rules for once! LOL :D  Just kidding ......join us, I'm sure you'll do great, and it sounds like you have great intentions also!   You'll be shocked at what you learn from this side of the fence! 

COME ON ABOARD!!!!!!!

@Cleveland Coach ....  GO FOR IT..... Jump in and learn the rules for once! LOL :D  Just kidding ......join us, I'm sure you'll do great, and it sounds like you have great intentions also!   You'll be shocked at what you learn from this side of the fence! 

COME ON ABOARD!!!!!!!

​And Rich Ives could use an ally. ;)

• Like 1

Don't let it stop you. I started with rec ball in my mid-to-late 30's. I'm now 43 and in my second season of high school ball.

I like to think that it makes me better having seen it from the (youth) coaching side.

C'mon in, the water's warm!  

I started back into this gig in my mid-40s after a brief 22 year break.  You're gonna love it!!! 

The only regret I have is the 22 year sabbatical...

I have always loved baseball.  Played through HS.  Lived with baseball team for a while in college but didn't play.  Coached before I even had kids and then coached my son and his friends and continued coaching after he finished playing baseball. Coached from T-ball to Legion for 23 years overall.  Started umpiring in 2006 at age 43.  In my 10th year of umpiring and love baseball even more now than I ever have.

I work 250-350 games a season from late January through mid-November.  Hate that 2 months I don't get to work games.  Considering moving to Arizona so I can work even more baseball.

Try it.  Once you get your feet under you and get some experience and training you will love it.  Especially if umpires who don't know the rules, don't know how to manage games, look like SH*# and don't hustle bother you as a coach.

My first game as an umpire was a high-school opening day no-hitter in Kentucky by a kid who is in Major League Baseball right now after pitching in 2 College World Series before he went pro.  His F4 that day was another kid who is in Major League Baseball at the moment.  All in all I have had the pleasure to work games with 8 kids who are now in the Majors.  Worked games with dozens more in MiLB and hundreds in college.  I can't seem to get enough of it.  I am in the middle of a nine straight day run of games with DH's all but one day (today) ranging from HS JV to NCAA Div II.  I have worked games in a Major League Stadium, several Minor League Stadiums, Some Major Division 1 colleges and some historic venues as well as some places that doubled as cow pastures or sheep breeding grounds for part of the year.  Been able to work games in 12 states so far and met hundreds of umpires around the country.  Several as a result of this site.

I am truly blessed to be able to umpire the great game and American pastime of Baseball.  I hope you make the leap and love it as much or more than I do.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 2

Made the jump myself this year. Still finishing out my high school coaching responsibilities for this season, but am starting my travel softball umpiring adventure tomorrow.

Six games tomorrow. Twelve next weekend. 

By the way, I am in the Cleveland area (Lake County). There is plenty of work available around here between high school, travel tournaments and rec leagues. Good luck to you if you do make the choice!

​Have coached many a tourney in Mentor, Willowick, and Willoughby. Probably crossed paths with you and never knew it!

• Like 1

Guest Sir_Umps_A_Lot

I was 23 when I started umpiring/refereeing high school football/basketball and then jumped into softball two years later.  Had to drop out for many years due to an injury, but at the age of 45, I'm back in the game (literally!) and loving it.  I also have some fellow umpires who are older and they are rookies.  There's nothing wrong any age.  One of my partners this year is 16 years old.  Some would say he's too young.  Age is a number; your maturity is defined otherwise.  If you want to work it, work it! 

I'm in my first year at 45.  We had guys in my class as young as 19 and as old as later 60's.  Reasons for doing it vary from money while in college to something to do after retirement.  Backgrounds vary, too.  We just have a love of baseball in common.  So do it if you can when you can.  So far for me, it's been a great experience -- learning a ton, adapting to situations and striving to improve at every game, so there's plenty to keep me busy during and between games.