BaseballDudester

Hit By Pitch.. When is the Ball live again?

This happen tonight at the game where a batter was hit by the pitch which = dead ball. The pitcher received the ball back while on the mound area. The first baseman and the whole infield thought it was a good idea to have a group meeting there on the mound without calling time or anything. The runner on 3rd noticed that there was no time called and just ran home then was sent back to 3rd by the homeplate umpire. When is the ball live again? I would think when the pitcher is engaged with the rubber.... What is the official ruling on this?  

HBP=dead ball immediatly.

the ball will be live again as soon as Home plate Umpire will put it back in play...In you case, no play can be made if HP umpire didn't announce "play" ....

The ball cannot be made live by the HP umpire until the batter is ready, the battery is in their proper position with pitcher engaged, and the pitcher has the ball. Once this criteria is met, HP should both verbal and mechanic the ball live by announcing "PLAY" with a point towards the pitcher.

• Like 3

5.11 After the ball is dead, play shall be resumed when the pitcher takes his place on the
pitcher’s plate with a new ball or the same ball in his possession and the plate umpire calls
“Play.” The plate umpire shall call “Play” as soon as the pitcher takes his place on his
plate with the ball in his possession.

• Like 3

Don't take 5.11 literally and put the ball in play before all players are ready.  If runners are returning to their base or the catcher is fixing his mask with a runner on third or a fielder is in foul territory or . . ., don't put the ball in play simply because the pitcher has the ball on the rubber.  Do what Jocko says, and wait for the batter and battery to be ready to go.

• Like 1

Of course into this mix you throw in a partner who rarely, if ever, puts the ball back into play, be it after a foul, HBP, etc. which happens a lot in my parts, and please don't say "you should be covering that in your pre-game", been there, done that, does not seem to make a difference

As a BU, if I know I'm working with a PU who never puts the ball back into play, when I see all three principles are ready to go as mentioned in previous posts, as well as the PU, I make a mental "Play" in my head, especially if I suspect F1 is itching to make a pick off attempt at a base.

• Like 2

Of course into this mix you throw in a partner who rarely, if ever, puts the ball back into play, be it after a foul, HBP, etc. which happens a lot in my parts, and please don't say "you should be covering that in your pre-game", been there, done that, does not seem to make a difference

As a BU, if I know I'm working with a PU who never puts the ball back into play, when I see all three principles are ready to go as mentioned in previous posts, as well as the PU, I make a mental "Play" in my head, especially if I suspect F1 is itching to make a pick off attempt at a base.

​I did put "Play" in my head and I did this when the pitcher had the ball on the mound after the HBP, the infield wanted to all get together to have a talk but never called time with me or the PU and so in my mind the play is live and the player on 3rd could steal if he so desires right? 

​Add one more layer.  PU doesn't put ball in play.  Everyone is set to go and F1 picks off R1.  Coach complains.  Declare a no-throw and reset everyone.

At what point do you slap your partner upside the head because you've asked him time and time again to please put the ball back in play?

Edited by ElkOil
  • Like 1

​I did put "Play" in my head and I did this when the pitcher had the ball on the mound after the HBP, the infield wanted to all get together to have a talk but never called time with me or the PU and so in my mind the play is live and the player on 3rd could steal if he so desires right? 

They don't need to call "time". The ball is dead and can't be put in play until the pitcher is on the rubber preparing to pitch, the batter is in the box ready to hit and U1 calls "play". If you have a lazy partner who doesn't say it, the other two still have to occur.

From the sounds of things, the pitcher was only on the dirt and the batter had not yet taken his place in the box. The team decides to confer with the pitcher during the dead ball and the runner takes off for home. Sorry R3, you need to go back.

I frequently see the same thing happen in youth ball after a foul.

• Like 1

​Is this guy new?  If so, he has to be told over and over with an explination as to why putting the ball back in play is so important.  In my first year, I'd forget from time to time, and have to be reminded.  If this guy has doing this for years, and is just being lazy or indifferent about it, he should be reported to the association board.  I hate to squeal on anyone, but if he's just being obstinate, tough nuggies.  His laziness can ruin an entire game.

• Like 1

​Add one more layer.  PU doesn't put ball in play.  Everyone is set to go and F1 picks off R1.  Coach complains.  Declare a no-throw and reset everyone.

At what point do you slap your partner upside the head because you've asked him time and time again to please put the ball back in play?

​*Hands held up indicating time, and said LOUDLY "THE BALL IS NOT IN PLAY" If he doesn't get it after that, it's gonna be a long day

• Like 2

​If there's a team meeting during relaxed action, or after the ball has been dead, then I'm calling time whether it was formally requested or not.

• Like 1

​If there's a team meeting during relaxed action, or after the ball has been dead, then I'm calling time whether it was formally requested or not.

​Even if the pitcher already engaged with the rubber and stepped off to have a team meeting on the mound? 

​Even if the pitcher already engaged with the rubber and stepped off to have a team meeting on the mound?

In general, yes.

If he just turns around to get signals from F6, or to figure out who is covering second, then no.