Website SUCKS NOW

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3275 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

What happened to this website?  It is terrible now.   Every time I access the website, I am required to enter my password.   When I do, it doesn't accept it and I have to reset my password.  Also, the search function is terrible.  Lastly, the new design is confusing and frustrating.

if possible, please go back to the previous version.

• Like 1

23 answers to this question

Dear Guest,

Why don't you register and maybe you won't have to put your password in every time?  Good idea, right?

Warren is doing his best to improve the site with new, and current software (where the old site was lacking).  NEW doesn't necessarily mean BAD.

@VAUmp ....   don't like it, don't bother.  No one is forcing you to come here.

Look people.  It's called change, ...something that everyone must deal with in every aspect of their life.  Warren is attempting to BETTER the site the best he can with new and improved software.   The site is still indexing, so the search function isn't to snuff yet.   Deal with it, and quit acting like children for God's sake!:no:

​I fear change. Hell, I've been married to the same woman for almost 20 years and I can barely remember her name. 1

Dear Guest,

Why don't you register and maybe you won't have to put your password in every time?  Good idea, right?

Warren is doing his best to improve the site with new, and current software (where the old site was lacking).  NEW doesn't necessarily mean BAD.

Look people.  It's called change, ...something that everyone must deal with in every aspect of their life.  Warren is attempting to BETTER the site the best he can with new and improved software.   The site is still indexing, so the search function isn't to snuff yet.   Deal with it, and quit acting like children for God's sake!:no:

• Like 2

I liked the old look better, but understand software changes and the need to change the look at times.  I hope the indexing finishes soon because I search to find old info often so I don't have to ask again.  I'm not sure that is the whole problem though because I can search google, but the links are dead... Hopefully it is just indexing though.

Dear Guest,

​Whoa, whoa, whoa ..... stand down, soldier.

Don't be the 'third man in,' here - it's Stanley Cup time, so yes, hockey references - for one thing.  And two, ragging the customer base might not be the best way to increase site usage, eh?

Don't be the 'third man in,' here - it's Stanley Cup time, so yes, hockey references - for one thing.  And two, ragging the customer base might not be the best way to increase site usage, eh?

Thing is, @HokieUmp, I'm not so sure this isn't a regular participant here, either unable to log in (easily) or only willing to gripe anonymously. The expressed opinions just read of it.

Again, nothing on the Internet stays the same for long – everything has to grow, progress, and evolve.

Thing is, @HokieUmp, I'm not so sure this isn't a regular participant here, either unable to log in (easily) or only willing to gripe anonymously. The expressed opinions just read of it.

Again, nothing on the Internet stays the same for long – everything has to grow, progress, and evolve.

​I understand, @MadMax - I've been in IT for 30+ years.  My Samsung phone is orders of magnitude more powerful than the mainframes I used in the beginning of my career.

Having said that, this is still a customer-driven site.  No logins, no site.  Customer might not always be right, but irritating them, and then getting brusque with them when they state their issues, can mean the end of a site.  That's all I'm saying.

I'm not even sure how *I* feel about the new look yet;  caught me by surprise.

You can still search via Google, you just have to add a ? to the URL that it goes to.

You add that after index.php.

For example, a search returns this URL http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/1482-review-of-honigs-poly-wool-umpire-pants/

Add the ? and it will work. http://umpire-empire.com/index.php?/topic/1482-review-of-honigs-poly-wool-umpire-pants/

Kind of a PITA but it works. Big changes, especially to the UI, take adjusting. I'm willing to wait out the kinks getting ironed out.

What happened to this website?  It is terrible now.   Every time I access the website, I am required to enter my password.   When I do, it doesn't accept it and I have to reset my password.  Also, the search function is terrible.  Lastly, the new design is confusing and frustrating.

if possible, please go back to the previous version.

I am neither an admin nor a moderator. So, as a plain old member I say: you need to be more respectful. Warren is doing a truly excellent job providing this website. There will be kinks due to changes​ of this magnitude. Go with the flow. Hang in there. I am sure the final result will be worth it.

Thank you, Warren, for all you're doing. I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

​Anonymous is a relative thing.  If this is like many other packages, the admins will have the IP address of the post and can compare it to users.  Comes in handy for banning users by IP lock.

Edited by ZebraStripes

The content on this website is great.  I lurk here every day trying to learn more so I can avoid being one of those coaches/parents.  I challenge myself to answer other people's questions before I read the experienced umps' replies.

The current format needs improvement and I am sure the owner is working on that.

Is there a way to make sort by date the default instead of sort by rating?

​A 'guest' coming on here and saying the site SUCKS NOW .....for me, isn't a "customer" ....  that's just wrong, and disrespectful.  Nothing I said was out of line, and I stand by it

• Like 1

The content on this website is great.  I lurk here every day trying to learn more so I can avoid being one of those coaches/parents.  I challenge myself to answer other people's questions before I read the experienced umps' replies.

The current format needs improvement and I am sure the owner is working on that.

Is there a way to make sort by date the default instead of sort by rating?

For certain sections of the forums, the rating system should be the default view, and is absolutely necessary. Why? Because often the best, most relevant answer is one that takes more thought, consideration and research from a knowledgeable hand – such as @maven, @MidAmUmp or @grayhawk – than the quick, "I'm first!" answers that often affix themselves to discussion boards of any topic.

So too, there are answers that seem to "pile on", just being redundant. Then there are clarifying answers, and answers that go on diatribes and tangents, and answers that are anecdotal. I myself do plenty of these.

Then there are answers that come from beyond the left-field fence and you're left wondering, "Where the heck did that come from?" (I won't say who, but I have an example)

Otherwise, if it's just a common, general-purpose discussion or topic thread, the date posted is the default view.

@aiber was the OP.  That is me.  You are way too sensitive.

​Yea....what part of "SUCKS NOW" isn't disrespectful? It's a fairly minor change, big freakin' deal. I got over it in about 20 mins. Perhaps you should do the same.

Why would the moderator want to block me, aiber?   I wasn't disrespectful...

​I was speaking on the technical side.  I imagine that Warren and the admins have the IP address of all users (both members and guests) and the IP address is often used in doing the blocks.  I'm not saying one way or the other that you were or were not respectful.  I am just speaking as a programmer and someone that has been an admin and moderator of other types of forums.

Dear Guest,

I am registered.  My username is: aiber.

I am the OP....aiber....I always have to reset my password to login.

​Anonymous is a relative thing.  If this is like many other packages, the admins will have the IP address of the post and can compare it to users.  Comes in handy for banning users by IP lock.

Why would the moderator want to block me, aiber?   I wasn't disrespectful...

​A 'guest' coming on here and saying the site SUCKS NOW .....for me, isn't a "customer" ....  that's just wrong, and disrespectful.  Nothing I said was out of line, and I stand by it

@aiber was the OP.  That is me.  You are way too sensitive.