Upgrade to-do's

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3266 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

​I tried editing and embedding one of Jeff's videos using the exact same steps and I'm not seeing an embed.  Also, can we get the embedded videos to be a bit larger?  

I will try embed w/ a new link. 

​I am playing with a javascript code that will change the default size. That should be coming soon. 

Gallery: Will we have to re-upload all of our gallery images? It doesn't look like any are rendering. (Edit: Ah, you say the site is still indexing-in-process? Gotcha.)

Followed Content: Previously, we could pull down the menu by our Screen Name and one of the options was "View My Content", and it would give a list of any/all forum contributions you've given, with the latest / most recently modified ones at the top of the list. Is this still available? I go to "Followed Content", and it lists topics that... don't have any logical order (and no discernable way to manage that). If I switch the parameter from "Topics" to "Forums", there's nothing... and I'm sure I have way more forum postings than none. Even toggling the notifications in the settings doesn't seem to make a difference.

• My Activity: The "All Activity" overview is blank. And, what's the difference between a Topic and a Post?

Ok ... a few issues ..........

I've noticed that when I click to refresh via the "new content" button, ...I'll get a warning "PLEASE WAIT FOR 5 seconds to search" ...

Also ....  sometimes when I go to 'reply' to something ...it'll "quote" something within the thread .....

Another .... when you hit ENTER, you'll drop down 2 lines ...instead of one .....

Finally ..... can the site be "moved" to the left and extend to the full screen so it doesn't look all "centered"??  (this has been a request from others to me)

Another .... when you hit ENTER, you'll drop down 2 lines ...instead of one .....

​@Thunderheads: It's actually moving down a single line, but the line spacing has been increased.

Finally ..... can the site be "moved" to the left and extend to the full screen so it doesn't look all "centered"??  (this has been a request from others to me)

​Personally I'd prefer this wasn't done. I find the centred view much easier to work with and much more visually pleasing.

​@Thunderheads: It's actually moving down a single line, but the line spacing has been increased.

You say tomato .....^_^

​Personally I'd prefer this wasn't done. I find the centred view much easier to work with and much more visually pleasing.

​again ...just passing along things I've heard ......

Edited by Thunderheads

Gallery: Will we have to re-upload all of our gallery images? It doesn't look like any are rendering. (Edit: Ah, you say the site is still indexing-in-process? Gotcha.)

Followed Content: Previously, we could pull down the menu by our Screen Name and one of the options was "View My Content", and it would give a list of any/all forum contributions you've given, with the latest / most recently modified ones at the top of the list. Is this still available? I go to "Followed Content", and it lists topics that... don't have any logical order (and no discernable way to manage that). If I switch the parameter from "Topics" to "Forums", there's nothing... and I'm sure I have way more forum postings than none. Even toggling the notifications in the settings doesn't seem to make a difference.

• My Activity: The "All Activity" overview is blank. And, what's the difference between a Topic and a Post?

Gallery - As of right now It has only just begun indexing anything with the gallery. I have it set up to do in batches not to exceed x% of my server resources. (going over is CRAZY expensive)

Followed Content - Followed content is a new/enhanced feature which you can select content to follow I think it is going to be really useful. Looking at mine I agree it seems to be things I don't recall following once upon a time, but you can go in and "unfollow" content which shows up.

As for viewing your content that will continue and be updated as the site is reindexed. 

My Activity -  This is everything; posts, articles, galleries, likes... It appears to be indexing slowly some of the items I have are from Jan of 2013.

Topics are threads you started. Posts are posts you made regardless if you started the topic or not. 

​1st: This is much more like a word processor now, Jeff ( @Thunderheads ), than a text-editor like it was before. It treats paragraphs as formatted entities unto themselves (block objects). When you want to start a new paragraph, you hit RETURN. If you want to stay within the same block object / paragraph, and merely want to drop down a line, you do something called a "soft return", performed by SHIFT+RETURN (what @Welpe said).

2nd: I'm with @MikeSafari on this, by keeping the content to a fixed-width field or region that is centered within the browser frame (or the screen), it is much easier to read and navigate upon. Your eye, while reading and comprehending, can only travel so far laterally, and if you have to move the pointer a significant distance to utilize tools and buttons, it gets tedious.

Edited by MadMax

Ok ... a few issues ..........

I've noticed that when I click to refresh via the "new content" button, ...I'll get a warning "PLEASE WAIT FOR 5 seconds to search" ...

Also ....  sometimes when I go to 'reply' to something ...it'll "quote" something within the thread .....

​The wait 5 seconds --- I have limited search because it is resource intensive. I will open it  up again once the indexing is complete. 

Quote --- Put a screenshot up if you get the quote you didn't select again. 

Enter --- I noticed that too. But you can hit shift+enter to single space. 

Centering -- I believe I know what this is about. At work I use wide screen monitors and my screen when maximized looks like this across my 24" monitor... 

However on my laptop it looks like this...

This is a change I could possibly make. I will add it to my list to consider, but towards the bottom for priorities. 

Centering -- I believe I know what this is about. At work I use wide screen monitors and my screen when maximized looks like this across my 24" monitor... 

centered.thumb.PNG.bb36d8f6cc6bce915e3cc

However on my laptop it looks like this...

laptop-centered.thumb.PNG.d3454aa2da8103

This is a change I could possibly make. I will add it to my list to consider, but towards the bottom for priorities. 

​That's exactly what is going on because it looks the same on my widescreen monitors. I'd actually encourage you NOT to change this. While it is different, this is a more modern (and IMO much better) web design practice.

I still can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the nested quotes though. :|

Edited by Welpe
  • Like 1

​That's exactly what is going on because it looks the same on my widescreen monitors. I'd actually encourage you NOT to change this. While it is different, this is a more modern (and IMO much better) web design practice.

I still can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the nested quotes though. :|

​I've just disabled nested quotes. I think it will make things look better so we don't get 10+ quotes in one post like we've had before.

• Like 1

Warren, could you please admin-re-enable our option to toggle-on/off the Email Notification for a comment? I'd like to opt out of any/all emails, since my line of work gets more than enough during the day.

Ohhhh... I just noticed this too. There's a "Notify Me of Replies" toggle down there at the bottom of the editing field. Sneaky. Yeah, that gets turned OFF!
Any chance that can be set to OFF by default?