Umpire interference ....ouch

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3283 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So what do we have here.  Immediate dead ball.  Runners advance if forced.  Batter/runner to first base.  

All other runners return to TOP base.  

yes.

I know you know this John, but your question is making me question myself! :smachhead:

Sidebar
Just listen to the voices Jeff...that's what I do!   :hi5:

Sidebar
The voices in my head are always either arguing amongst themselves or singing

So what do we have here.  Immediate dead ball.  Runners advance if forced.  Batter/runner to first base.  

That's the "penalty" for umpire INT, but let's all recall that we invoke this only when the base umpire is hit by a batted ball, and only when the umpire is in front of the fielders (usually B or C positions and infield at normal depth).

It is not umpire INT when a BU is hit by a thrown ball, or when hit in position A (that ball would remain live if fair, otherwise foul).

Single!

No, ...dead ball.  B/R goes to first, ...anyone forced moves up.   Anyone else goes back to base at TOP. :wave:

Don't say "no," Ryan's right. Umpire INT is scored as a hit (single) for the batter.

• Like 1

That's the "penalty" for umpire INT, but let's all recall that we invoke this only when the base umpire is hit by a batted ball, and only when the umpire is in front of the fielders (usually B or C positions and infield at normal depth).

It is not umpire INT when a BU is hit by a thrown ball, or when hit in position A (that ball would remain live if fair, otherwise foul).

Single!

No, ...dead ball.  B/R goes to first, ...anyone forced moves up.   Anyone else goes back to base at TOP. :wave:

Don't say "no," Ryan's right. Umpire INT is scored as a hit (single) for the batter.

.......sigh ............... thus the wave..............

Sidebar
That is a sweet looking jacket

Sidebar
I do agree ....overall better looking than the cool-base

Sidebar
I don't see zip-off sleeves on this one, so it ain't convertible. It looks heftier (in material) yet sleeker than the CoolBase Convertible. And it's got a Naploean zipped pocket, sealed, on the chest like all the soft shell jackets have nowadays. Along with wrist stripes... ... ... I must have one.

I like this video. A lot. Not because Mike Winters (or any umpire) gets hit, but because it is Exhibit A Alpha Prime Number 1 in the topic of Positioning: If the association guidelines / training / protocols place you in B, _then you stay in B_. None of this "I'll stand where I feel like it" crap. R1, with a LHB, and Crew Chief Winters is right where he's supposed to be. Shame it hit him, and it looks like he's alright, but he was at that spot because that's what the role dictates (my best guess/explanation as to why U2 is at B, with a 4-man crew, despite a LHB, is that the likely steal attempt is better to read, and that TV broadcasting keeps U2 out of C during pitches so as not to block CF cameras.). Getting hit can, and does, happen, even to the professionals. If you're concerned about it, then tuck your shirt in properly, do something about managing your fitness, focus on your situational awareness, whatever's needed. There's a job to do, do it.

Sidebar
That is a sweet looking jacket

Sidebar
It's not bad with the numbers and MLB logo. I think it'd look pretty plain how we are more likely to wear it though.

That ball had quite the tail on it. It's counter-intuitive but when it is tailing like that, one step to the right puts you out of harm's way. Much easier said than done when the ball is screaming towards you I acknowledge!

Sidebar

Sidebar

That ball had quite the tail on it. It's counter-intuitive but when it is tailing like that, one step to the right puts you out of harm's way. Much easier said than done when the ball is screaming towards you I acknowledge!

Sidebar