We've all done it!! You just have to laugh about it

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3258 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Oh, so _that's_ why (my) Brewers have been playing so atrociously!!

PU probably figured it was the norm, considering Milwaukee's woes at the plate. He could probably have rung him up on the first strike.

• Like 1

The first time I did that was at a 13U select ball game.  The parents all got a kick out of it.  I could only laugh it off.

Then I did it at a men's game.  The batter spun around with a shocked look on his face.  I just laughed and apologized.

I'm actually surprised I don't do it more often.   :blink:

One of my most memorable NHFU's*... May baseball, 12U's. There are some very pleasant parents in attendance, and being a 5:30pm start time, in various manners of attire. One particular HBM is dressed exceptionally well, likely coming from a top-tier office professional job. These parents are seated just behind the backstop, only some ten feet away. Pleasant, all the way around, and looks... to be a great evening.

5th inning, R1. This pitcher has, like, a million pickoff throws to 1B, and intersperses a ball and a strike in there. Amidst all the pickoff attempts, I (mistakenly) think there's been a foul ball, and so F1 finally puts one right down the black... "STRIKETHREE!" says I, and do my sideways chain pull. I turn back to look at the field, and this slight, platinum-blond-haired, blue-eyed batter has slumped in the batter's box, looking back at me like I just ran over his dog with my car. I realize my mistake, and peer down to my BU partner, and say, "Oh. That's only strike two, isn't it?" He nods-and-shakes-his-head in the same motion, already stifling a laugh like a Private in front of an outlandish Drill Sergeant. I apologize to the batter, let things settle down, and recommence baseball. The batter ended up grounding out.

Fast forward to top of July in Cooperstown, and I notice that several Wisconsin teams are in attendance, so I make a point of visiting at least one of their games, just to see how they are playing at the very least. I drop by the family & fan gallery of one of the teams during an afternoon game, and... I walk right to face-to-face with... HBM herself. She has a surprised look on her face – a face framed and complemented by platinum blond hair – but one of recognition, and I barely have out "Hi..." when I'm (rightfully) overwhelmed with, "_You're the umpire that rung up my son on two strikes!!_".

Uhhh... yeah. Busted. After an apology, we had a good, friendly talk and all the team's contingent of parents had a good friendly time of seeing a fellow Sconnie there. But, I'll never forget, that certain calls can come back to bite ya. :embarrass:

NHFU = No Harm Foul Ups

Today F2 fired the ball down to F5 after a beautiful curve-ball for strike 2. I told him I knew the feeling as his dugout razzed the crap out of him.

Given today's weather I think we all would have been happy playing 2 strikes and you're out today! It was snowing through the 1st inning today.  :shakehead:

Today F2 fired the ball down to F5 after a beautiful curve-ball for strike 2. I told him I knew the feeling as his dugout razzed the crap out of him.

Given today's weather I think we all would have been happy playing 2 strikes and you're out today! It was snowing through the 1st inning today. :shakehead:

Today's weather? It topped out at 90 here.

That's happened to me on more than one occasion.  Sorry to say.  My standard comment when I ring a batter up on two strikes is, "Oh, this isn't the Catholic League?"  The Catholic League in Michigan plays 3-2 baseball.  But, that's an entirely different argument...

Given today's weather I think we all would have been happy playing 2 strikes and you're out today! It was snowing through the 1st inning today. :shakehead:

Today's weather? It topped out at 90 here.

The only way we're getting to 90 any time soon is if we add two days together.

• Like 1

One of my most memorable NHFU's*... May baseball, 12U's. There are some very pleasant parents in attendance, and being a 5:30pm start time, in various manners of attire. One particular HBM is dressed exceptionally well, likely coming from a top-tier office professional job. These parents are seated just behind the backstop, only some ten feet away. Pleasant, all the way around, and looks... to be a great evening.

5th inning, R1. This pitcher has, like, a million pickoff throws to 1B, and intersperses a ball and a strike in there. Amidst all the pickoff attempts, I (mistakenly) think there's been a foul ball, and so F1 finally puts one right down the black... "STRIKETHREE!" says I, and do my sideways chain pull. I turn back to look at the field, and this slight, platinum-blond-haired, blue-eyed batter has slumped in the batter's box, looking back at me like I just ran over his dog with my car. I realize my mistake, and peer down to my BU partner, and say, "Oh. That's only strike two, isn't it?" He nods-and-shakes-his-head in the same motion, already stifling a laugh like a Private in front of an outlandish Drill Sergeant. I apologize to the batter, let things settle down, and recommence baseball. The batter ended up grounding out.

Fast forward to top of July in Cooperstown, and I notice that several Wisconsin teams are in attendance, so I make a point of visiting at least one of their games, just to see how they are playing at the very least. I drop by the family & fan gallery of one of the teams during an afternoon game, and... I walk right to face-to-face with... HBM herself. She has a surprised look on her face – a face framed and complemented by platinum blond hair – but one of recognition, and I barely have out "Hi..." when I'm (rightfully) overwhelmed with, "_You're the umpire that rung up my son on two strikes!!_".

Uhhh... yeah. Busted. After an apology, we had a good, friendly talk and all the team's contingent of parents had a good friendly time of seeing a fellow Sconnie there. But, I'll never forget, that certain calls can come back to bite ya. :embarrass:

NHFU = No Harm Foul Ups

I hope I'm not the only person who doesn't know what HBM stands for.  Help a brother out?

NHFU = No Harm Foul Ups

I hope I'm not the only person who doesn't know what HBM stands for.  Help a brother out?

Because I'm a bit sexist and enjoy an attractive woman I assume its "Hot Babe Mom" I could be wrong but I don't care. I'm sticking with it. 1

Happened to me last night. 3-1 count with a runner on. Couple of pick offs, overthrows and bad baseball turns R1 into R3. Then I get a beautiful fastball that's all over the black. I stood up, stepped back and started to realize my mistake. I finished the mechanic and singnaled to my partner, two strikes. And he confirms my mistake. Everybody had a good laugh and I let everything settle and back to playing ball we went.