Welpe

Ball stuck in glove

What is the applicable rule in OBR that would apply if the ball was stuck in the glove of a defender who was not close enough to make a play by throwing the glove?

What is the applicable rule in OBR that would apply if the ball was stuck in the glove of a defender who was not close enough to make a play by throwing the glove?

There isn't one. If there isn't a stoppage for a stuck ball when it's close enough there wouldn't one for if it isn't. Play on.

5.02 "Once the ball becomes live it is in play until stopped for a legal reason" (or whatever it says -- I paraphrased)

Why would this situation differ from any other base award? 

Because "everyone" has seen the MLB play where a tossed glove with a stuck ball results in an out.  This is so different that the defense (team and fans) is going to be livid.

Exactly. This isn't a situation where the coach *might* come out and disagree with the call. It's *going* to happen. Even if the coach knows the rule, he's going to come out and argue as if he didn't (hoping to get you to change your mind). If you call the coach to discuss it first, you could defuse the situation before it starts.

Why would this situation differ from any other base award? 

Because "everyone" has seen the MLB play where a tossed glove with a stuck ball results in an out.  This is so different that the defense (team and fans) is going to be livid.

Exactly. This isn't a situation where the coach *might* come out and disagree with the call. It's *going* to happen. Even if the coach knows the rule, he's going to come out and argue as if he didn't (hoping to get you to change your mind). If you call the coach to discuss it first, you could defuse the situation before it starts.

I still disagree with the order. Make the call first. Award the bases. Talk to the person who has a question to explain.

In your scenario it would be:

"Time!"

"Coach could you please come here so I can tell you what I am doing?"

Coach comes out of dugout. You explain the rule. Then you point to the various runners and award bases.

Other coach comes out. "What's going on?" You explain the rule again. Ugghh.

Just because a coach, a player, or the shoe shine kid does not know the rule does not mean they are entitled to a special audience with me or my partner(s) before any further action is taken.

I ask again, what other peculiar situations might you explain before you rule? Do you explain before you award (or penalize) when a runner and a fielder collide? When a pitcher doesn't gain distance or direction?

I suppose we will agree to disagree on this.

And what if the coach isn't inclined to dispute your call. He saw what happened and may know exactly what you're about  to call. You should make the call and see if he wants an explanation. If not, play ball.  

There isn't one. If there isn't a stoppage for a stuck ball when it's close enough there wouldn't one for if it isn't. Play on.

​So R1, 0 outs.  Fly to deep RF.  Ball is caught but is now stuck in F9's glove.  Does he have to run in with the glove/ball in hopes of stopping R1 before he scores?

And what if the coach isn't inclined to dispute your call. He saw what happened and may know exactly what you're about  to call. You should make the call and see if he wants an explanation. If not, play ball.  

​I agree.

To put it another way, if you call time, call the coach out and then start having a conversation with him before awarding bases you're going to gin up more controversy by looking indecisive.

The best way to do this is to confidently and authoritatively call Time, make your call and award bases. If the coach wants an explanation, he can get one after the call and award is made. 

You're not looking for his buy in and approval here.

​So R1, 0 outs.  Fly to deep RF.  Ball is caught but is now stuck in F9's glove.  Does he have to run in with the glove/ball in hopes of stopping R1 before he scores?

​As I said, throw the whole thing. It's not like it's illegal once you get beyond "x" feet.

In a high school game there is no way I am calling this a dead ball and awarding the batter second base.  I know what the rule is and I know the coaches in our area do not.  I will let this play out just like the video and I won't have to write up an ejection report.    

​That has got to be tied for dumbest post in forum history.