ElkOil

Base Award Confusion

There was another thread on this, but it only got me more confused when I read it, so I was hoping for some clarification.  Here's a hypothetical FED situation:

Two out.  R1.  BR hits a high fly to the outfield.  R1 takes off and rounds 2B.  Ball lands uncaught and the throw is to 3B in an attempt to put out R1.  Ball is overthrown and goes into dead ball territory.

My understanding is that runners are awarded two bases per 8-3-3.  However, in discussions, my understanding is that bases are awarded at TOP, which would mean R1 can't advance beyond 3B.

I'm sure this isn't correct, but I'm confused about applying the TOP rule on this (which, by the way, I can't find in the book).

I'm sure this isn't correct, but I'm confused about applying the TOP rule on this (which, by the way, I can't find in the book).

You want to review 8-3-5, especially the last 4 sentences. ;)

• Like 2

The baserunning awards table is also a good cheat sheet (for this one, two bases #6)

The baserunning awards table is also a good cheat sheet (for this one, two bases #6)

Yes, but you need to check it with the rule.  It (and the dead ball table in rule 5) have had some typos in the past (I haven't checked recently)

Yes, but you need to check it with the rule.  It (and the dead ball table in rule 5) have had some typos in the past (I haven't checked recently)

Agreed. Dead ball table at least has references to make it easier to circle back and verify quickly.