FED RULES:

In-Between Innings, the First Base coach(who happens to be the teams Pitching Coach) Is coming across the field from 1st. He stops and grabs the ball off the mound and waits for his pitcher to get out there(Waited roughly about 15-20 seconds) Pitcher gets out there and he and his coach talk(on the mound) for about 20-25 seconds on how to attack the first 3 hitters. Coach pats him on the ass and walks away.

Do you have an official visit on this?

Pitcher gets a minute or 5 pitches (8 if new). That minute tends to go by a lot quicker when a coach has a quick therapy session like this. As long as it doesn't delay the game, we don't charge this. It's his fault of the pitcher only gets 1 or 2 warmups

• Like 1

Pitcher gets a minute or 5 pitches (8 if new). That minute tends to go by a lot quicker when a coach has a quick therapy session like this. As long as it doesn't delay the game, we don't charge this. It's his fault of the pitcher only gets 1 or 2 warmups

Although I agree with this, as a game management tactic, I'll encourage F1 to get started with his warmups immediately. "You get only 1 warmup because you used your time chatting with coach" tends to push your game toward the toilet bowl's edge.

Let's remember that officiating is all about communicating, and that includes more than just our calls.

• Like 2

Although I agree with this, as a game management tactic, I'll encourage F1 to get started with his warmups immediately. "You get only 1 warmup because you used your time chatting with coach" tends to push your game toward the toilet bowl's edge.

Let's remember that officiating is all about communicating, and that includes more than just our calls.

Oh of course! I always give the courtesy of saying "Let's warmup Pitcher" if the coach tries to talk. And coach normally gets the hint and leaves on the "2 more" phrase

The case book is your friend:

3.4.1 SITUATION H: Between innings the coach of Team A walks from the third base coach's box to the

pitcher's mound and proceeds to visit with F1. RULING: F1 has one minute in which to complete his

warmup throws. At that point, the coach should leave the field. The umpire should not allow play to

begin until the coach is off the field. The umpire may assess the coach a charged conference if he delays

leaving the field. (6-2-2c EXCEPTION)

• Like 1

I had this come up in an OBR game.  Pitcher was taking warmup tosses between innings and a bench player brought him a bottle of water to drink in between pitches.  Opposing coach wanted this called a visit.  How would you handle this?

I had this come up in an OBR game.  Pitcher was taking warmup tosses between innings and a bench player brought him a bottle of water to drink in between pitches.  Opposing coach wanted this called a visit.  How would you handle this?

11.53 - the "Get a life" rule.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Mr_Blue
      Felt like I had to make an account to ask about this situation. Have you ever been asked "Did he go?" while you were standing behind the pitcher? Happened to me.

0-2 count. Batter appeared to obviously offer at a close pitch, his hands looked well in front of the plate and bat also looked like it had went around with his wrists breaking enough that I could say I'm 100 percent sure it was a swing. I'm sure everyone watching the game knew it was a swing, including everyone in the stands and definitely the 3rd base coach who was ejected for arguing after what happened. It looked like one of those calls that are pretty easy to make from where I was standing.

Anyways, I'm waiting on the PU to make the call and he hesitates then points at me and asks if he went. I was so shocked that he was asking me for help on this one that I made a mistake here. I should have just made the call but I looked back at him and just said "It's your call." Now I guess everyone thinks that neither one of us know even though it looked like a pretty obvious call. Now the dugouts are starting to chirp a bit so I call time and we talk for a minute. I tell him what I saw and that it was definitely a swing. I wouldn't call it a swing if it was close but this one wasn't close. We call the kid out. One of the coaches comes to argue, even though I'm sure he had to know we got the call right he wasn't happy with how we made it. He keeps arguing and is warned not to continue and he goes to the dugout. He stops for maybe 10 seconds but is tossed for something he says when he gets to the dugout. Game went okay after that. Then the PU punched out the next batter on the first pitch because I guess he forgot the count wasn't 0-2 anymore. So that didn't help us look any better.

Overall the game went okay after that. We handled the coach okay. Ejection went probably as well as it could have. After the game the PU wanted to switch crews so I worked with a different guy. Then he texted me after the game "Thanks for screwing me today ***hole I pray I never work with you again. This is high school varsity ball not the little bull**** you usually do." Which I thought was a little ridiculous, but oh well. I can't help but feel bad for being caught off guard on that play.
    • By Mister B
      So recently LL reduced the number of mound visits from 3/inning to 2 and from 4/game to 3. On a per pitcher basis. At a recent district meeting, it was mentioned that a coach being on the infield, in fair territory, would get a warning or be charged with a visit. During the tournament, coaches won't be allowed on the field unless they get permission from the umpire. Base coaches can't come out until the throw down. 
      This has been met with some resistance. The rules state "in one inning" and since I'm not aware of any breaks in time during or between innings, I would agree that it should be counted as a visit. I have one coach that claims that it happens during "dead ball" time, to which I responded, "all mound visits are during a dead ball." 
      How is this treated at other levels? Anybody with specific LL knowledge?
    • By Scotty_Ump
      I was PU during U12 tournament played under FED rules. In middle of game, HC asks me to "watch the other team" between innings because they had "too many batters" in front of their bench area between innings swinging bats while his pitcher was throwing warm-up pitches. I told him I'd "keep an eye on it" but the game ended early (mercy rule) and it never came up again.
      Post-game I looked up FED rules and all I found re: this situation is 3-3-3: "Players loosening up to bat shall remain in the area of their team's on-deck circle while the pitcher is warming up."
      Does anyone know if FED (or other rule sets) limits the amount of players who can warm up between innings?
    • By GreyhoundAggie
      Had a situation yesterday as follows: 
      JV Fed Game. Bases loaded, no outs. I'm PU.
      Groundball to SS, R2 plows into SS as he is trying to field the ball. Partner did not kill the play as he thought it was a delayed dead ball, so I stepped in and killed it and called R2 out and returned R3.
      I know we can get more outs based on the possible prevention of a double play. At the time we did not rule any additional outs, but immediately after the inning I was thinking we should have potentially gotten 3 outs. 
      R2 for interference, and R1 and BR for the prevented potential double play.
      Is this too many outs to get from this play? For sure I am thinking we should have gotten at least 2, R2 and R1 at least.
      Thanks for your thoughts, this play doesn't occur too often and I want to be better prepared next time.
    • By sd181612
      Hi everyone, sorry for being long gone. I would also like to apologize for the little issue that started in my last post and THANK YOU to those who handled it perfectly. School has been swinging at me left, right, front, and center, but I have been working towards my goal of attending my dream school: Harvard.
      I am ashamed in asking for this, but since we are a vast community I know that some, or all of you will be able to help me. As you all know, these schools are extremely competitive and some sort of contact or person of interest there could help my chances of getting in. As I said before, I have sacrificed a lot throughout all of my life to get to this stage: senior year with good grades; and this goal is something that have I always, with the help of my friends and loved ones, worked for and strived for.

Thank you all and I apologize again for asking this her.