Game management question

bevanation
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3260 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Long time visitor, first time poster! 

Question from a high school JV game last night.  Great game. Great pitching. VT won 3-2 with HT stranding runners at 2nd and 3rd in the bottom of 7th to end the game.

Had a situation in the game that I want your take on.

I'm on the dish.  Early in the game BU has a pulled foot at first safe call.  HT head coach comes out and politely asks us if we can get together on the call.  We get together, we decide to go with the original call of safe with pulled foot.  My partner calls safe as we break our huddle and multiple HT coaches and players loudly object from the dugout.  I motion strongly with my hand raised in a "stop sign" toward the dugout and say "GUYS WE GOT TOGETHER, THERE IS NOTHING MORE TO TALK ABOUT".  They all shut up, game proceeds.

Two innings later, bases empty, there is a close play at first for an out, and one of HT coaches (not sure which one) very loudly and sarcastically yells from the dugout, "OH ARE YOU SURE HE DIDN'T PULL HIS FOOT!?"

I call TIME.  I walk over to HT dugout and point to head coach and say, "That's your warning coach".  He knew exactly what I was talking about, he shut his coaches up, game proceeded with no more incidents.

Would you have handled anything differently, and if so, how?

If I called safe on a pulled foot, there wouldn't be a discussion because I would have had to be 100% sure that I had a pulled foot to call it...and I would have sold the call pretty hard if close.  If you are asking...I'd say that is what got you in a bind to begin with.  No need to have a discussion on a call you have a good look at...own it.

• Like 2

Usually going to the dugout means someone is going. Be careful.

Kinda disagree.

You give your warnings wherever it's necessary. If it's needed when a coach comes out on you, you give it there. If it's for persistent chirping, you go to the dugout.

Personally, I'm not going to the dugout. If he (or someone on his staff) is gonna yell horseSH*# sarcasm from the dugout for all to hear, I will remove my mask, maybe take a step or two in his direction and issue my warning. i.e. Mike, that's enough. My surety of who made the offending remark is inconsequential. By using HC's first name, I've put the onus on him to control his dugout. Any further shenanigans and Mike is toast. And a savvy HC will know this and handle it before some ASS hat gets him tossed.  

Kinda disagree.

You give your warnings wherever it's necessary. If it's needed when a coach comes out on you, you give it there. If it's for persistent chirping, you go to the dugout.

If you go to the dugout, you run the risk of appearing to be the aggressor. If the HC then does something stupid and has to be ejected, it may look like you baited him into it. I avoid this REAL  possibility.

• Like 1

Kinda disagree.

If you go to the dugout, you run the risk of appearing to be the aggressor. If the HC then does something stupid and has to be ejected, it may look like you baited him into it. I avoid this REAL  possibility.

That's why we do everything from our "office". Makes everyone else look like the aggressor.