Sign in to follow this  
Rulekeep

Ever had a season end three weeks before it began?

Got this beauty right in the middle of English class.

"The reason I asked your age last night is because it states in the contract we have signed with association that all members must be 18 years of age. Therefore, I regretfully have to inform you that at this time you are not old enough to umpire for our organization. I know at 15 you can play softball on a local team but you are not old enough to umpire adult softball.

I would suggest that you contact a Little League representative and ask them to be allowed to umpire Little a league games at this point in time.

Again, I'm sorry but the contract just does not allow us to be able to let you umpire at this time. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to give me a call. Have a great summer playing softball and I hope you follow thru and umpire Little League softball as well."

And now, my fair, calm, and levelheaded response.

*screams for 17 years*

*throws phone five hundred miles away from me*

Wait, you can still do baseball right?

We have the 19 or up rule on adult softball too (19 here because we are the only state that has you're not an adult till the day you turn 19). Not sure why though. Has to be some kind of liability thing.

Wait, you can still do baseball right?

We have the 19 or up rule on adult softball too (19 here because we are the only state that has you're not an adult till the day you turn 19). Not sure why though. Has to be some kind of liability thing.

This association assigns for HS baseball, HS softball, and slo-pitch. I'm out of EVERYTHING. ALL SUMMER. *commences screaming*

I know ya'll have travel ball up there, I've umped a few teams from there in our national tournaments. Is there at least any of those games near you?

This sucks! I can understand varsity, but anything lower, nope, don't get it.

Our association doesn't have age rules, maybe some unwritten ones but nothing formal. Our youngest ump is 13, if he's that old and I'm sure he's on tournaments this weekend (we're really short umps this weekend).

Could be several reasons other than straight liability. I am paid typically direct by the schools. If under 18 in California I cannot legally enter into a contract which acting as an independent contractor basically requires.

Sucks I know but you have heard this before... Don't rush to grow up too fast... It will all be behind you faster than you realize and then you will wonder where all the years went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Could be several reasons other than straight liability. I am paid typically direct by the schools. If under 18 in California I cannot legally enter into a contract which acting as an independent contractor basically requires.

Sucks I know but you have heard this before... Don't rush to grow up too fast... It will all be behind you faster than you realize and then you will wonder where all the years went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, is that ever sage advice.  We spend our younger years wishing we were older.  Then, we spend our older years trying to regain the youth we wished away.  No matter what you're trying to accomplish, exercise patience and know that there's a time for everything.  You'll have so many more years to spend over 18 than under them.  There's a saying, "Youth is wasted on the young."  

Edited by ElkOil
  • Like 2

Well, I managed to contact my state Legion and the UIC emailed me. He was so excited to tell me that he graduated from Jim Evans that he didn't proofread his email but what I think he was trying to say is 60 bucks a game, 25 dollar travel bonus, all in the beautiful towns of Anchorage, Wasilla, and Eagle River. *politely tells him I live in the wrong region and smashes laptop*

Hopefully he can point me in the direction of the local Legion umpires.

More updates (and possibly ruined technology) soon.

Well, I managed to contact my state Legion and the UIC emailed me. He was so excited to tell me that he graduated from Jim Evans that he didn't proofread his email but what I think he was trying to say is 60 bucks a game, 25 dollar travel bonus, all in the beautiful towns of Anchorage, Wasilla, and Eagle River.

@Rulekeep      Go tell that coach that you HSM'd that you need to borrow his car/boat. :eek:

:rollinglaugh:   :wave:

I talked to the Legion umpires in my region and they're all pissing themselves over a kid wanting to get involved because apparently they can send me to camps and schools and stuff. My supervisor also has a pair of Davishins he's gonna float my way and boy is this exciting. I do get baseball this year! Now I can stop being bitter towards the softball umpires! (Can doesn't mean will but I'll try.)

@ricka56 He's not around anymore.

• Like 2

I was CCed in an email from the Legion UIC and I'm laughing so hard at how he opened it.

"Tom,

I had the most engaging conversation last week when I made it out to that JDHS - TM high school baseball game.  I met a young lady named Mallory. 

She is a freshman in high school and has an incredible passion for the art of umpiring baseball.  Actually, she blew me away with her general knowledge of umpires at higher levels and her tenacity for wanting to get in the professional door and learn more about umpiring.  She is from Juneau and has a passion for the art.  It was pretty entertaning to see what she knew about MLB level umpires and their personalities, their professional careers, etc., to include her favorite umpire being Greg Gibson, #53 in the Jim Joyce crew."

Come on, I don't talk THAT much about umpiring!

However, he goes on to explain to the Anchorage UIC that he's going to get me qualified for Legion if it's the last thing he does.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS WAS HIS BIT TO ANOTHER UMPIRE THAT I ALSO GOT CCed IN.

"This email is a little late in coming and, to Mallory - I apologize for that, but I did have a chance to sit and visit with Mallory while watching the Juneau Douglas vs Thunder Mtn high school baseball game in Juneau.

What an engaging conversation.  Her favorite umpire is Greg Gibson, #53, in Jim Joyce's crew in the MLB.  She has a dream - to become an MLB umpire.  From the conversation I had with her for an hour+, it was very evident that she is hungry, she follows baseball umpiring, she has a working knowledge and is constantly information gathering on rules, rulebooks, every level of the game (Little League on up) for baseball, has gear, and wants into AL.  Everything we look for in umpires - the hunger to learn, the passion for the art of umpiring.  She is also into a couple (maybe more) different umpire forums.  That has led her to some great conversations, communications with umpires around the US, which has in turn helped her find opportunities this summer, for learning.  She has on her schedule to hit up the LA Dodgers game on the day that the umpire crew does a short umpire clinic for interested aspiring umpires.  She has also met someone in the Mid-American Conference who hosts fall clinic in Missouri that she is considering.  She studies umpiring techniques, she studies umpires, she has that glimmer in her eye when she starts talking about her dream.

She is 15!  She is a freshman in high school!  She wants this!  It was a very engaging conversation.  Not often do any of us find someone at this age, knowing that she wants to pursue umpiring."

what is this i am a simple umpire potato

Edited by Rulekeep
  • Like 2

And then the AL UIC started throwing shade at you guys. :rollinglaugh:

"Mallory, if you want this, learn. Learn from respected peers. Do not go online and absorb rants and raves from undocumented sources."

Lawdy, if I would have thought about umpiring at such a young age then the bigs might have been possible...way to old for that path now.

Stick with it Mallory, and I'm giving the UIC the heave ho for that last blurb.

"Mallory, if you want this, learn. Learn from respected peers. Do not go online and absorb rants and raves from undocumented sources."

​Amen to that!

How did he know I am undocumented...I must now flee this former safe house and go where the buffaloes roam.

Adios,
Raoul Duke ...aka ricka56

Golly jeepers, I guess we is just some uneducated mo-rons around these parts, we undocumented sources. What a condescending ass.

​Tell him we quote and cite the location of the "undocumented sources" and you verify them to be sure.

Man... we let the kids start umping at 12 here.  Granted they aren't generally allowed to work at or above their age levels (unless the do not play in which case they can do their own age groups)   crazy stuff, glad however it has all worked out for you!

​He means InstaTwitBookTube. He probably doesn't even know U-E exists, for shame. 

Mallory, I actually grew up in Juneau, and started umpiring LL games there at 13, and did so until 20 or so when I moved. When I was 18 I was the chief umpire for the district majors all-star tournament held in Wrangell. Never did get into HS or Legion Ball, though wish I had. Not sure who is still around from 10-15 years ago, but hopefully you can make it all work. Best of luck with your umpire career - I'd take you on my LL crew down here in CA any day.

Mallory, I actually grew up in Juneau, and started umpiring LL games there at 13, and did so until 20 or so when I moved. When I was 18 I was the chief umpire for the district majors all-star tournament held in Wrangell. Never did get into HS or Legion Ball, though wish I had. Not sure who is still around from 10-15 years ago, but hopefully you can make it all work. Best of luck with your umpire career - I'd take you on my LL crew down here in CA any day.

​How neat! It sounds like you attended school about the same time as Chad Bentz-he's back after his pro stint. 

The town really probably hasn't changed much since you left. Still have sad little dirt fields and bad clinics. I don't know if you ever called games on the Lena Loop fields, but the upper field has been turned into part of a disc golf course, so that shows you about how much the Borough cares about baseball. Our Legion team is a combined team from both high schools (they built one near the Glacier probably five or six years ago) and they play at Adair-Kennedy and wow I just realized that anybody else reading this post has no idea what I'm talking about but anyways there's probably still a few LL umpires around, there's a fellow here named Rex who is still umpiring and he's been here probably 20ish years. If this Legion things works out I'll be probably traveling to Wrangell, Petersburg, Ketchikan, maybe even the Mat-Su area.

Edited by Rulekeep

I was a freshman on JV his senior year, and I try to make it back to visit every few years, my family still lives in town. And you're right, the rest of this probably belongs in PMs. :)