3 EJ...kinda long...what a day

berns_97
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3295 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is a 14U USSSA tournament, me and my partner, who i do high school ball with, have 6 games that day. First game had a few close plays but it went smooth. Second game is where all hell breaks loose.

It all started in the Bottom of the 3rd 1 out, i got the bases. R1 and R2 on and BR hits a line drive to right center. As normal R1 and R2 take off. When R1 is rounding second he decides to come back to 2nd and now BR is coming to 2nd. Both runners stand there and 2nd baseman gets the ball and tags both runners on the base. I call the BR out but then R1 steps off and gets tagged and i call hom out. My partner yells, That run scores. Tells the book that it scores she says ok. Coach starts running out and says "no no no that rin doesnt score." My partner comes to me and we talk and he asks me what i got i said " honestly I didnt see it i had that play, what you got is what you got" coach goes ballostic and says "were done were not playing". My partner puts on his mask and say " ok, play! Pitcher throw the ball." After 1 strike batter gets in the box. And no problems. 2 innings later same team is up and kid hits a triple but gets tagged out at 3rd. He gets up and yells at me and says "Thats BullS&$!". Next inning comes around R3 and BR hits a single but the Right fielder chucks it home and the R3 trucks the catcher. Partner calls him out and R3 slams his helmet down, my partner throws him out kid turns around and says "F*!? You" at this point I run in to help my partner and the kid lundges at my partner and the kid lunges at him as of he was going to hit him. Coach gets tossed for arguing with my partner. And coach tells his team to pack it up they are not playing any more.

Tornament director saw the whole thing and was chewing out the coach on how disrespectful that was. He also said he is reporting what he saw to USSSA and that the kid would not play for USSSA any more for the rest of the year.

All the rest of our games went smooth with no problems, just a couple close plays here and there.

Edited by berns_97

That's a lot of disrespect going on there.  Of course it's you and your partners fault for them being this way and has nothing to do with the coaches or parents.  :stir

• Like 1

Ok. I'll play devil's advocate. What, if anything, could you have done differently to keep the game under control? Is there a game management lesson to be learned here? I'm not saying you did anything wrong, just asking. This type of thing doesn't usually just explode without some forewarning.

Sounds like a whole lot of fun at the ballpark. Did you contact the police in regards to the battery on a sports official which here in Florida is a felony? An ejection is simply not enough once a participant elects to make contact and batters a sports official. 

Ok. I'll play devil's advocate. What, if anything, could you have done differently to keep the game under control? Is there a game management lesson to be learned here? I'm not saying you did anything wrong, just asking. This type of thing doesn't usually just explode without some forewarning.

My partner was giving them a long leash, i told him about it and that all happened

Sounds like a whole lot of fun at the ballpark. Did you contact the police in regards to the battery on a sports official which here in Florida is a felony? An ejection is simply not enough once a participant elects to make contact and batters a sports official.

@T-Rav yes i did press charges on the player. Tourney director was the one who called police
  • Like 1

My partner was giving them a long leash, i told him about it and that all happened

@T-Rav yes i did press charges on the player. Tourney director was the one who called policeLong leash tends to get tangled around OUR feet. Unless you've totally butchered one, my suggestion is to play bad cop immediately. Shut it down early and things don't have an opportunity to escalate. If my partner won't handle it, I will. Especially, you must consider the partner in question. His experience level, pregame demeanor, state of mind. We are human. Not everyone can block out life and it can affect their game. Jist some suggestions.
  • Like 3

Wonder how Mom and Dad are going to enjoy dealing with paying the fines for their disrespectful and soon to be convicted dumpling?

Maybe the coach of the team who is setting such a great example will help foot some of the bill... 

Suggestions:  when you and your partner initially get together, don't let the coach be anywhere close to you.  If you are going to conference, send the coach to his dugout or coaching box.

The rest sounds like a bunch of kids coached by a bunch of coaches that really don't know what they're doing.  In the cases of the players touching you, always be demonstrative and tell them, "that's contact".

Sounds like just a bad team with bad players and bad coaches.  Don't worry about it.  I would press charges on the players.

• Like 1

This is a 14U USSSA tournament, me and my partner, who i do high school ball with, have 6 games that day. First game had a few close plays but it went smooth. Second game is where all hell breaks loose.

It all started in the Bottom of the 3rd 1 out, i got the bases. R1 and R2 on and BR hits a line drive to right center. As normal R1 and R2 take off. When R1 is rounding second he decides to come back to 2nd and now BR is coming to 2nd. Both runners stand there and 2nd baseman gets the ball and tags both runners on the base. I call the BR out but then R1 steps off and gets tagged and i call hom out. My partner yells, That run scores. Tells the book that it scores she says ok. Coach starts running out and says "no no no that rin doesnt score." My partner comes to me and we talk and he asks me what i got i said " honestly I didnt see it i had that play, what you got is what you got" coach goes ballostic and says "were done were not playing". My partner puts on his mask and say " ok, play! Pitcher throw the ball." After 1 strike batter gets in the box. And no problems. 2 innings later same team is up and kid hits a triple but gets tagged out at 3rd. He gets up and yells at me and says "Thats BullS&$!" I toss him. Next inning comes around R3 and BR hits a single but the Right fielder chucks it home and the R3 trucks the catcher. Partner calls him out and R3 slams his helmet down, my partner throws him out kid turns around and says "F*!? You" at this point im running in to help my partner and the kid lunges at him as of he was going to hit him. I get in between and tell the kid to go. He the puts his finger on me saying "You suck too" and pushes me. Coach gets tossed for arguing with my partner. And coach tells his team to pack it up they are not playing any more.

Tornament director saw the whole thing and was chewing out the coach on how disrespectful that was. He also said he is reporting what he saw to USSSA and that the kid would not play for USSSA any more for the rest of the year.

All the rest of our games went smooth with no problems, just a couple close plays here and there.

Hopefully the next tournament will be much calmer.

@berns_97

I just looked up your profile.  We share the same birthday brother, except for the fact that I am 35 years older than you.  Haha.

So you are only 17 years old.  First, congrats and kudos for being so well-spoken and up front to share your situation with us.  You are light years ahead of where I was in communicating with adults when I was 17.

Second, I cannot help but think that part of the problem you had with these jackwagons was due to your age.  Not sure how much experience you have but as you now know, you can do everything right or try to do it right-be professional, be approachable, be caring and conscientious and well-trained and properly prepared and someone has to challenge your authority.  

No real advice as nothing can make you older earlier, and quite frankly you do NOT want to age an quicker than you will, but keep doing what you are doing young man.  Keep learning, keep working, stay healthy and you will go far.  I hope you never have to endure anything like that again but you apparently handled it well and came through it relatively unscathed.  Keep up the good work and keep asking and sharing with us.  This type stuff makes us all better. 

• Like 5

@berns_97

No real advice as nothing can make you older earlier, and quite frankly you do NOT want to age an quicker than you will, but keep doing what you are doing young man.  Keep learning, keep working, stay healthy and you will go far.  I hope you never have to endure anything like that again but you apparently handled it well and came through it relatively unscathed.  Keep up the good work and keep asking and sharing with us.  This type stuff makes us all better. 

Any chance you can grow a beard?  I did a JV game a couple weeks back and the catcher had a better beard than I could hope to grow. 

@berns_97

I just looked up your profile. We share the same birthday brother, except for the fact that I am 35 years older than you. Haha.

So you are only 17 years old. First, congrats and kudos for being so well-spoken and up front to share your situation with us. You are light years ahead of where I was in communicating with adults when I was 17.

Second, I cannot help but think that part of the problem you had with these jackwagons was due to your age. Not sure how much experience you have but as you now know, you can do everything right or try to do it right-be professional, be approachable, be caring and conscientious and well-trained and properly prepared and someone has to challenge your authority.

No real advice as nothing can make you older earlier, and quite frankly you do NOT want to age an quicker than you will, but keep doing what you are doing young man. Keep learning, keep working, stay healthy and you will go far. I hope you never have to endure anything like that again but you apparently handled it well and came through it relatively unscathed. Keep up the good work and keep asking and sharing with us. This type stuff makes us all better.

Thank you, people say i am mature for my age... When im umpiring lol, but again thanks. For that reason my friend, who did 92 MLB games last season he has helped me out. Only been umpiring for a year now and already doing HS (JV and Varsity(also made district crew)) and College. Thanks again for giving me props. And glad to hear that we have the same Birthday 🎉🎉ðŸŽðŸŽŠ

17...sheesh now I feel old

Get a load of this. The other night my partner was 19. He told me his father is... the same age as me. :( Hahahahahaha

17...sheesh now I feel old

Get a load of this. The other night my partner was 19. He told me his father is... the same age as me. :(

I played on a Church league softball team and a father and son were both on there with me. The 18ish year old son thought I was the same age as his dad, who had 15 years on me...I was not too thrilled with that one.

• Like 1

@berns_97

I just looked up your profile. We share the same birthday brother, except for the fact that I am 35 years older than you. Haha.

So you are only 17 years old. First, congrats and kudos for being so well-spoken and up front to share your situation with us. You are light years ahead of where I was in communicating with adults when I was 17.

Second, I cannot help but think that part of the problem you had with these jackwagons was due to your age. Not sure how much experience you have but as you now know, you can do everything right or try to do it right-be professional, be approachable, be caring and conscientious and well-trained and properly prepared and someone has to challenge your authority.

No real advice as nothing can make you older earlier, and quite frankly you do NOT want to age an quicker than you will, but keep doing what you are doing young man. Keep learning, keep working, stay healthy and you will go far. I hope you never have to endure anything like that again but you apparently handled it well and came through it relatively unscathed. Keep up the good work and keep asking and sharing with us. This type stuff makes us all better.

Thank you, people say i am mature for my age... When im umpiring lol, but again thanks. For that reason my friend, who did 92 MLB games last season he has helped me out. Only been umpiring for a year now and already doing HS (JV and Varsity(also made district crew)) and College. Thanks again for giving me props. And glad to hear that we have the same Birthday

Not that I don't believe you, but what levels of college baseball are you working at 17?

@berns_97

Thank you, people say i am mature for my age... When im umpiring lol, but again thanks. For that reason my friend, who did 92 MLB games last season he has helped me out. Only been umpiring for a year now and already doing HS (JV and Varsity(also made district crew)) and College. Thanks again for giving me props. And glad to hear that we have the same Birthday

Not that I don't believe you, but what levels of college baseball are you working at 17? Im just doing private colleges around my area.