Boy, are they ever chippy

ElkOil
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3181 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Tonight was my first-ever men's league game.  Ages ranged from old to really old.  And I mean really old.  Shockingly old, in fact.  I'm talking white hair, lots of deep wrinkles... in their mid- to late-60s-type old.  I was PU.  Man, were these guys chipping at me.  I admit for some reason my zone felt off, but my partner assured me on a couple of occasions that it looked good to him, so I didn't sweat it too much.  

During one play at the plate, the runner was out.  Then the next batter came up and said to the catcher so that I could hear it, "He was out because the bat was in the way of the plate.  There's a rule that the umpire has to clear the bat."  Say what, now?  I didn't say anything, being more entertained at his ability to make up rules that don't exist, than I was interested in making something out of it.

Then later on, this same clown is coming home and decides not to slide, instead contacting the catcher as he applies a tag, and knocks him over.  It didn't look to me like it rose to the level of MC, so I just called him out, and he proceeds to defend himself by telling me he couldn't slide because "my knee locked up."  Whatever.  I thought it interesting that he and his teammates started defending him, yet I said nothing about it.  And the defense didn't complain one bit.  Strange.

Then when the next inning began, that same goon starts toward his position, then stops and says to me, "I'm an umpire instructor, and I didn't lean into him with my shoulder."  Geez, dude.  I never said you did.  Then he started saying something about my position on that play, which was 3BX... right where I wanted to be.

I just told told him, "I appreciate your perspective, but tonight you're a ballplayer and I'm the umpire.  That's where the line is."  That seemed to satisfy him and off he went.  

My lesson for tonight:  Adults are waaaaaay more talkative than high school and select ball kids, and present challenges all their own.  I've got a lot of these adult games this year.  It'll give me lots of opportunities to hone my skills in some new areas.

Adult games hold the umpire accountable. In FED, they can't say anything so at times it can give an umpire a false sense of accomplishment. Adults can also be babies. Sometimes they need to be treated like middle school kids, sometimes they need to be treated like adults.

I work a lot of men's league up here and it's actually quite a pleasant experience.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of Adult Amateur Baseball. Every situation and comment you shared reminded of some guys playing in MSBL games I've worked here. I love that level of baseball.

Is it MABL/MSBL you are working? If so, after a couple of seasons you may want to take a week or three in October/November and work the World Series in Phoenix. It's a blast.

• Like 1

You should do it if you aren't already and join in the fun extending your season. I got to meet three more of our members there. Worked with UmpStu. Magic stopped by to watch me work a 70+, yes 70 year old and up players, game on his way to Evans clinic in Tucson. KenBAZ bought me a terrific lunch one day and we had a fantastic conversation.

The baseball is pretty good. There is the occasional pendejo or two but overall a great experience.

The OP just reminded me of the adult rec hockey I ref.  :ranton: Talk about a bunch of cry babies.  Two weeks ago one of the leagues was having their playoffs and I could have probably got away with leaving the whistle in my pocket except these guys just start chirpping about non-calls.  We have more room to let things go in hockey if it is a routine hockey play and for playoff games we try to let them play without getting out of hand.  I've had a lot of :Facepalm: moments.  :rantoff:

The world series sounds like it would be fun to work. 

When newer guys ask about doing adult wreck league, and whether they think they can handle it, I give them this analogy:

In a HS game, you'll typically have, at most, 2 coaches getting on you for various things.  In adult leagues, imagine having 18 or more coaches getting on you for all kinds of things.    As @johnnyg08 stated, adult players will hold umpires accountable and they're not afraid to speak up about perceived injustices, including balls and strikes.   

For the most part, I loved it.  As the OP gathered, it gives you a chance to work on some different areas (your game management skills mainly) that you might not normally get to work on in HS ball. 

Yes, I agree, these adult's can be chirpy and complainers. And basically, it's their game and they play it the way they want to. I had one of my only, "in your face" full blown arguments with a gomer in one of these games. We pretty much used all the bad words, and he finally left. After he left I received a standing O from both teams, apparently the guy is a complete arse and nobody liked him anyway. 

Welcome to the world of Adult Amateur Baseball. Every situation and comment you shared reminded of some guys playing in MSBL games I've worked here. I love that level of baseball.

Is it MABL/MSBL you are working? If so, after a couple of seasons you may want to take a week or three in October/November and work the World Series in Phoenix. It's a blast.

Yeah, it's MABL/MSBL.  Most of the guys have a great sense of humor and are real talkative, but they also have lots of opinions!

Yes, I agree, these adult's can be chirpy and complainers. And basically, it's their game and they play it the way they want to. I had one of my only, "in your face" full blown arguments with a gomer in one of these games. We pretty much used all the bad words, and he finally left. After he left I received a standing O from both teams, apparently the guy is a complete arse and nobody liked him anyway. 

The league president addressed us at one of our chapter meetings and he's done a lot over his past 12 years to clean up the image of the league.  They have a strict no-cussing rule and he asked that if we eject someone, we write down verbatim what they said because he suspends someone one game per cuss word they use in an argument.  He told us one guy used up a whole season in one tirade.  

You should do it if you aren't already and join in the fun extending your season. I got to meet three more of our members there. Worked with UmpStu. Magic stopped by to watch me work a 70+, yes 70 year old and up players, game on his way to Evans clinic in Tucson. KenBAZ bought me a terrific lunch one day and we had a fantastic conversation.

The baseball is pretty good. There is the occasional pendejo or two but overall a great experience.

Just yesterday I worked with a guy who is going to recommend me to the assigner for the MSBL WS games here. Maybe we'll get a game together this year.

@KenBAZ. I sure hope so. I'm planning on working some of it. I would love to go to Jim Evans' clinic in San Diego during early October (5th-11th) then do the MSBL WS in Phoenix the rest of the month.(18OCT-08NOV) I might actually be able to go a month or two without umpirig if I can make that happen.

• Like 1

@mw94. I think it depends on the area and the team. Most of our KC teams and players are really good.

The WS is, for the most part, really good baseball. Even the 70+ game I worked had some former pro players that could still really hit, pitch and even run. One guy was 80 and he had three legitimate doubles. Could have been triples or inside park HR but he held up.

I have seen some ex college, lower level Minor's players come through. One guy in particular could really bring it. Then there was the 70 year old knuckle ball throwing, ex Little League umpire(who let you know it too)

@KenBAZ. I sure hope so. I'm planning on working some of it. I would love to go to Jim Evans' clinic in San Diego during early October (5th-11th) then do the MSBL WS in Phoenix the rest of the month.(18OCT-08NOV) I might actually be able to go a month or two without umpirig if I can make that happen.

I'm thinking of going to this clinic as now that I live in San Diego the only reason for me not to do this is real job getting in the way.

Shockingly old?  Mid-to-late 60's?  Good thing that I'm retiring from umpiring after this year!

Tonight was my first-ever men's league game.  Ages ranged from old to really old.  And I mean really old.  Shockingly old, in fact.  I'm talking white hair, lots of deep wrinkles... in their mid- to late-60s-type old.  I was PU.  

Shockingly old?  Mid-to-late 60's?  Good thing that I'm retiring from umpiring after this year!

Tonight was my first-ever men's league game.  Ages ranged from old to really old.  And I mean really old.  Shockingly old, in fact.  I'm talking white hair, lots of deep wrinkles... in their mid- to late-60s-type old.  I was PU.  

Heh, heh... not too old to ump!  It's also not too old to play ball in my opinion -- some of these guys still have some skills and can get around really well.  It was just surprising to me, particularly after having done nothing but 13U and JV games.

Like working MABL/MSBL games?  Then Tucson, AZ is the place for you - no one wants to work the games around here (at least not the experienced umpires) so there are lots of games available!  Plus they pay so well, I think it's $55 or $65 for 9-innings :hopmad:

Like working MABL/MSBL games?  Then Tucson, AZ is the place for you - no one wants to work the games around here (at least not the experienced umpires) so there are lots of games available!  Plus they pay so well, I think it's $55 or $65 for 9-innings :hopmad:

I'd say I more look forward to the challenges than I do enjoy them, per se.  They give me opportunities to develop my game management techniques and skills because unlike HS kids, these guys don't care what they say -- particularly the 18-35 age group.  Tough crowd!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm getting my first experience with MABL/MSBL this week. 2 plates the last 2 nights, and a 3rd tonight. The first one was with my assigner, couldn't have went any better, not a word from anybody, praise God. Last night was good, but 1 complaint when I rung up a guy on a really good pitch, had to warn that guy, and his buddies after he went in the dugout and wound them up. I have the same team tonight, on the plate again. So the same team 3 nights in a row. And 2 more games tomorrow and Sunday (different teams). These guys aren't old though, mostly younger guys, just out of college to middle aged, and fairly good ball players. Thus far my experience is good. Praying the next 3 don't change that. 

I'm getting my first experience with MABL/MSBL this week. 2 plates the last 2 nights, and a 3rd tonight. The first one was with my assigner, couldn't have went any better, not a word from anybody, praise God. Last night was good, but 1 complaint when I rung up a guy on a really good pitch, had to warn that guy, and his buddies after he went in the dugout and wound them up. I have the same team tonight, on the plate again. So the same team 3 nights in a row. And 2 more games tomorrow and Sunday (different teams). These guys aren't old though, mostly younger guys, just out of college to middle aged, and fairly good ball players. Thus far my experience is good. Praying the next 3 don't change that. 

Trial by fire is the best way to get into it with these guys, I think.  After a while, if you're good enough and stick around long enough, they'll accept and respect you.  I've got three men's games in a row tomorrow in the blazing heat.  Games 2 and 3 both behind the plate.  It's gonna be brutal in the Texas summer.  But I'll tell you this:  working their games is a constant test and challenge.  I feel like a warrior out there.  If I wanted easy, I'd restrict myself to 13U spring games.