Ebay finds

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1969 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:14 AM, BrianC14 said:

Could it be that it was broken, and perhaps fixed by someone that maybe shouldn't have been messing with it?   

No, probably just a bad day at the fabricator shop in Taiwan (?) where they're made. A worker placed the left arrowhead strut too deep on the ear guard, and the auto-welder still was set to shoot it at those pre-determined points.

• 3 weeks later...

@tpatience, I disagree... if those photos are authentic (not product photos from a catalog), then the tell-tale characteristics are all there... the bends on the ear guards are done by a wire brake machine (not a crimp, like hollow steel has to have), and the cuts on the wire ends (the bottom of the wicket at the chin guard, the top of the bullring, and the ends of the arrowhead struts) are blunt and solid, not angled, crimped and smash-sealed. The welds are quite clean, as if an auto-weld machine did them.

No, my bet this is Titanium, albeit with Adidas pads, for an Adidas -sponsored pro catcher, made in the same small fabrication shop in Taiwan (?) that made the Nike planform.

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

@tpatience, I disagree... if those photos are authentic (not product photos from a catalog), then the tell-tale characteristics are all there... the bends on the ear guards are done by a wire brake machine (not a crimp, like hollow steel has to have), and the cuts on the wire ends (the bottom of the wicket at the chin guard, the top of the bullring, and the ends of the arrowhead struts) are blunt and solid, not angled, crimped and smash-sealed. The welds are quite clean, as if an auto-weld machine did them.

No, my bet this is Titanium, albeit with Adidas pads, for an Adidas -sponsored pro catcher, made in the same small fabrication shop in Taiwan (?) that made the Nike planform.

My adidas is hollow steel. 

Just now, tpatience said:

My adidas is hollow steel. 

Oh sure, I don't doubt that! My two Nike masks, using the same planform as the vaunted Nike Titanium, are/were hollow steel. The first one (may the baseball gods rest its soul) was purchased from @JoHart10, and I completely believe that it was a legit Nike Steel. The second one (which is laid up in "hospital" and needs to go to Tony to fix) was rescued from eBay, advertised as a Reebok catcher's mask. It turns out, it was the supplied, personal mask of the bullpen catcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks, passed on to the seller, who was a team staff person. Obviously, that catcher was Reebok -sponsored, but you can tell that it is the famous "Nike planform" just by looking at it. I have since sold the Reebok -labeled pads to another U-E member, and I have myself a Nike Steel here. :)

That thing on eBay is a Titanium, no little doubt about it.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

@Stk004 and others in Seattle area... there are some good deals to be had up your way.

For example, Wilson Ti, Honigs CP and shins - all for $75

I wish I was closer.

Damn you guys are fast, called the guy within 15 minutes of seeing this post and he already had offers on the Force 3 bag and the Wilson Ti.

4 hours ago, Ty said:

Damn you guys are fast, called the guy within 15 minutes of seeing this post and he already had offers on the Force 3 bag and the Wilson Ti.

He sent me an email saying he was overwhelmed with offers so he put it on eBay. I don't mess with eBay so you guys have fun. 

7 hours ago, Stk004 said:

He sent me an email saying he was overwhelmed with offers so he put it on eBay. I don't mess with eBay so you guys have fun. 

Yeah, that sucks... especially when they do bids versus Buy It Now or Make Offer.

• 3 weeks later...

2016 Panel-style Shirts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MLB-Style-Umpire-Shirts-Navy-Black-or-Powder-Sm-Med-LG-XL-2XL-/263139849843?var=&hash=item3d445b7673:m:msB_CnfE_zlQVCOb-DvKUcQ

Close, but not quite. I might be inclined to point my "junior" umpires here to get the black version, but to do sky blue ... with navy trim??!! What were they thinking?!

Oh! Maybe this is a pitch to finally retire the "traditional powder with navy and white collar-and-cuff stripes" softball shirt! If that's the case, then Huzzah!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, tpatience said:

Wow. That's an audacious, bold offering by Smitty there. 2016 Panel-style in Pink. Maybe, just maybe, they can get Softball onto this and the other 2016 Panel colors (black, sky, anything else) and pry them off ancient Powder and Navy with Red White and Blue stripes and Powder with Navy and White stripes.

Here's to hopin'. :cheers:

• Like 1

USA Softball (formerly ASA) just re-branded this year, and offers powder w/navy panels, navy w/powder panels, and pink w/navy panels.

They all have the self-styled collars and the only collar accent is seam piping in the trim color.  No red or white anywhere.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2017 at 11:45 AM, CJK said:

USA Softball (formerly ASA) just re-branded this year, and offers powder w/navy panels, navy w/powder panels, and pink w/navy panels.

They all have the self-styled collars and the only collar accent is seam piping in the trim color.  No red or white anywhere.

I think I saw these shirts posted somewhere  (maybe it was here.) They look sharp.

• 3 weeks later...

This one's a beaut! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Star-System-7-Seven-Adult-2-Two-Piece-Traditional-Catchers-Umpire-Mask-Black-/112543376839?hash=item1a341ba5c7:g:B14AAOSw5TlZkogE

"The mask is in good condition with signs of wear as seen in the picture. It was used for a complete season but still has plenty of life left in it."

As a door stop? 

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, blue32 said:

This one's a beaut! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Star-System-7-Seven-Adult-2-Two-Piece-Traditional-Catchers-Umpire-Mask-Black-/112543376839?hash=item1a341ba5c7:g:B14AAOSw5TlZkogE

"The mask is in good condition with signs of wear as seen in the picture. It was used for a complete season but still has plenty of life left in it."

As a door stop? 

that thing was run over by a car...........

• Like 1